Reload this Page >

Mischarge from a bar...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Mischarge from a bar...

Old 02-25-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mischarge from a bar...

I was going through my credit statement today and saw that I had been charged 20 bucks from a bar here in Atlanta. The problem is is that I am 100% positive that I paid in cash.

I had put my card down to start a tab, ordered six dollars worth of food, then the girl I was with wanted to leave. There's a ten dollar minimum on a credit card charge, the guy said he'd do it this time but not next time, and I said no, I'll just pay cash. I paid him nine bucks, but didn't get a receipt or anything.

Am I screwed out of $20? I have no proof that I paid cash, but I guess technically they have no proof that I signed a receipt for them, unless they forged my signature.

Thoughts, opinions? Thanks.
Old 02-25-05, 11:51 AM
Banned

Dispute it. Call up the credit card company, tell them the same thing. Let them deal with it.
Old 02-25-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did they return your card to you when you paid cash? It seems like they should either A) be able to produce a receipt that you signed, authorizing the charges, or B) claim that you left w/o paying, in which case they would still have your credit card. Even if you called the next day to get your credit card back, they would certainly withhold it until you signed the receipt for them.

I would contact the credit card company and ask that the bar produce proof that you authorized the charge.
Old 02-25-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dispute.

Burden of proof should be on the merchant...not you.

-pedagogue
Old 02-25-05, 11:59 AM

yeah. they gave me my credit card back. i'll call them up and dispute it.

thanks.
Old 02-25-05, 12:11 PM

i just talked to the woman at amazon visa. they're gonna put in the dispute but she told me that sometimes restaurants/companies/whathaveyou don't have to get a signature on a receipt which sounds like bullshit to me. i know at starbucks and stuff if it's under 5 dollars they don't make you sign, but especially at a bar... i've always had to sign.

now i have to wait thirty days to see what happens. i had originally thought that night couldn't get any worse, i guess never say never.
Old 02-25-05, 12:18 PM
Mod Emeritus

Charge back
Old 02-25-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard
i just talked to the woman at amazon visa. they're gonna put in the dispute but she told me that sometimes restaurants/companies/whathaveyou don't have to get a signature on a receipt which sounds like bullshit to me. i know at starbucks and stuff if it's under 5 dollars they don't make you sign, but especially at a bar... i've always had to sign.

now i have to wait thirty days to see what happens. i had originally thought that night couldn't get any worse, i guess never say never.
That may be the case, but you should still be able to dispute it. A lot of places will put a temporary hold on a card when you open a tab. You can still pay cash, and they won't charge you. Sounds like they processed it later. the bar tender probably never tore it up or whatever and put it in the register.
Old 02-25-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm...not sure if it'll work though.
Old 02-25-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, a priest, a rabbi, and TLwizard walk into a bar........
Old 02-25-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i had originally thought that night couldn't get any worse, i guess never say never.
You mean there's more to this story??? C'mon, you can't seriously toss something like that into the thread and not expect to be pressed for details.
Old 02-26-05, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Shoveler
You mean there's more to this story??? C'mon, you can't seriously toss something like that into the thread and not expect to be pressed for details.
lol. it's more a post for the disastrous date thread. basically, without the fresh wound details, i had a good thing going with this girl i'd been dating for a month, all signs were pointing to yes for later that night, and then i fucked it up by saying the wrong thing. spent two hours trying to make it better, but she's kept her distance since then. and damn, i like her so much. oh well. still working on it.
Old 02-26-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lol. it's more a post for the disastrous date thread. basically, without the fresh wound details, i had a good thing going with this girl i'd been dating for a month, all signs were pointing to yes for later that night, and then i fucked it up by saying I would pee in her butt . spent two hours trying to make it better, but she's kept her distance since then. and damn, i like her so much. oh well. still working on it.
Don't worry she will come around.
Old 02-26-05, 11:07 AM
RVP

I thought the thread said DIScharge from a bar. I thought it was going to be about geting thrown out of a bar, or an STD you got at a bar.
Old 02-26-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

lol. it's more a post for the disastrous date thread. basically, without the fresh wound details, i had a good thing going with this girl i'd been dating for a month, all signs were pointing to yes for later that night, and then i fucked it up by saying the wrong thing. spent two hours trying to make it better, but she's kept her distance since then. and damn, i like her so much. oh well. still working on it.
So...what'd you say to piss her off so bad?

Don't be shy with us, junior.
Old 02-27-05, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tarantino
So...what'd you say to piss her off so bad?

Don't be shy with us, junior.
I told her I mickeyed her right before she passed out. She was like dead weight the rest of the night.

I'm actually not quite sure what I said. I think I asked something to the effect of what the status of her and mine's relationship was. I think that made her view the relationship as serious which she's scared of having right now, since we both just got out of (6 months ago) very serious relationships. Oh well. I'm still working on her. The twenty dollar extra kick in the ass, though, doesn't help.