Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Pope a position that can be resigned from?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-24-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if so I think the Pope should resign, before he dies in office

I'm also sick and tired of the news stations continuing to say breaking news about his tracheotomy
Old 02-24-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to this, they can. but most don't.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe....ap/index.html
Papal resignations rare, but not unprecedented
Thursday, February 24, 2005 Posted: 3:42 PM EST (2042 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- With Pope John Paul II's recent health crises, talk that he might consider resigning has intensified. Yet most popes have rejected that idea, even though the option remains available to them under church law.

The Rev. Thomas Reese, editor of the Jesuit magazine America and a Vatican expert, said popes worry that stepping down would set a dangerous precedent that could be misused by factions in the church to pressure a future pontiff to leave.

No pope has resigned for centuries.

Resigning also clashes with the notion of a pope's special role in guiding the church, said the Rev. Joseph Fessio, editor of Ignatius Press, a top U.S. Catholic publisher. "He is a spiritual leader and a father in the faith and fathers don't resign," Fessio said.

John Paul, has consistently brushed aside any speculation, often declaring he would carry out his mission until the end. His steadfastness is viewed by many as a powerful example of Roman Catholic teaching about the value of life, even in the face of intense suffering.

"My sense is that John Paul II sees his own life in a way as a symbol and that being the leader of the church in both health and in sickness all the way down to the end is a witness to the Christian message he is trying to preach," said Daniel Thompson, a theology professor at Fordham University in New York.

No more than 10 popes are believed to have stepped down, though the historical evidence is not clear, Reese said.

The most famous is Pope Celestine V, who assumed the papacy in 1294 at age 85 and resigned five months later, saying he was not up to the task. He was later put under guard for fear he would become the rallying point for a schism.

Talk about John Paul eventually stepping down has been in the air for almost a decade, as the pope has visibly weakened from Parkinson's disease and hip and knee ailments. His speech has been slurred for some years and because of difficulties to even stand, he now uses a wheeled throne pushed by aides.

His health problems have not hindered the day-to-day operation of the Vatican, which is overseen by the many officials working there, although only the pope can set major church policy, such as appointing bishops.

Cardinal Angelo Sodano, the Holy See's No. 2 official, inflamed public debate on the issue during John Paul's previous hospitalization earlier this month when he responded to a reporter asking whether the pope would ever consider stepping down.

While the cardinal expressed hope for the pope to continue, he also said, "Let's leave that hypothesis up to the pope's conscience."

"We must have great faith in the pope. He knows what to do," Sodano said on February 7.

Since then, several other cardinals have made similar comments, while others have expressed anger about the discussion. "It is bad taste to talk about it," said Cardinal Giovanni Battista Re, head of the Congregation of Bishops.

If John Paul did decide to step down, the wording of canon law on resignation would pose potential problems, Reese said. The resignation must be "freely made and properly manifested," according to church law, but it is not clear what would be done if the pope becomes incapacitated.

The Vatican has declined to comment officially on whether John Paul has left written instructions in the event that he lapsed into a coma or another incapacitated state. Other recent popes are said to have done so.
Old 02-24-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts
You are a Pope until you die. You could be mad insane and you're still Pope until you die.
Old 02-24-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
As the article above indicated, the only way you stop being a Pope is either death or stepping down from the position by your own accord.

They can't force you out.
Old 02-24-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
As the article above indicated, the only way you stop being a Pope is either death or stepping down from the position by your own accord.

They can't force you out.
Some people think Pope John Paul I was "forced out."
Old 02-24-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As his health has deteriorated, Pope John Paul II has consistently said that his suffering is part of his ministry, and that he won't resign any more than Jesus came down from the cross as He suffered.
Old 02-24-05, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, a Pope can resign if he wishes. There is no law against it, but it very rarely comes to fruition
Old 02-24-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

who is the popes successor ?

do they vote on it, or what?

I think i could be pope, im an easy going down to earth guy. Would you guys vote for me ?
Old 02-24-05, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by skiblet

do they vote on it, or what?

I think i could be pope, im an easy going down to earth guy. Would you guys vote for me ?
Something like a bunch of Cardinals gather in Rome and vote. I remember reading an article about how there seems to be a couple of front runners already for the next pope when that eventually does happen.

That being said, sure what the hell I'll vote for you
Old 02-24-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thats one vote from sonicvoices - im on a roll.

who else
Old 02-24-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by movielib
Yeah - I think I started a thread on that a long while back.
Old 02-24-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib

The papal William Henry Harrison.

Do they have to give 2 weeks notice?
Old 02-24-05, 11:12 PM
Banned

I asked my dad the same question once before and his answer was "can I stop being your father".
Old 02-25-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Myster X
I asked my dad the same question once before and his answer was "can I stop being your father".
Calvin?
Old 02-25-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Vice Pope....duh?!!

-pedagogue
Old 02-25-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
If I were Pope I would stay until I died.
Old 02-25-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thats one vote from sonicvoices - im on a roll.

who else
You're going to have to change your name, you know. popeskiblet, that's got a nice ring to it - count me in.

Almost, but not quite as good as I guy I knew in the 70s whose last name was Sokola. Pope Sokola, now that is a catchy name! We teased him about it because it was at a time when they were looking for a new pope.
Old 02-25-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I dont think it would be considering 'retiring' as much as 'quitting'
Old 02-25-05, 02:41 PM

Wow, I thought finding something to do after your term(s) as President of the US would be tough, imagine resigning as Pope. What do you say to "Hey Karol, what did you used to do?", "Oh, I was the Pope. You?"
Old 02-25-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
If I were Pope I would stay until I died.
even if (and I'm not trying to sound insensitive to people in his condition) your last years were that of a shakey senile old man?
if it was me I'd prefer to not be a public specticle in that condition
Old 02-25-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What exactly does the Pope do? I always see people carrying him around but he's not talking or doing anything he comes of like the Golden Calf to me.
Old 02-25-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by tsohg
What exactly does the Pope do? I always see people carrying him around but he's not talking or doing anything he comes of like the Golden Calf to me.
Besides being the most traveled world figure alive, the current 'golden calf' had a strong hand in the fall of communism, was shot by a man he later forgave and embraced, presided over a HUGE period in Christian expansion.
Old 02-26-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Besides being the most traveled world figure alive, the current 'golden calf' had a strong hand in the fall of communism, was shot by a man he later forgave and embraced, presided over a HUGE period in Christian expansion.
I didn't mean to come off as smart. I just really didn't know. Does he give actual church sermons or perform other religious duties? The only things I know of him are from what I see on TV and on TV he comes off like the mascot/symbol for the Catholic Church. (I know he's more than that) What is his real power/clout?
Old 02-26-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks like the pope can also be removed if he gives birth.
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/popeJoan.html
Old 02-26-05, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tsohg
I didn't mean to come off as smart. I just really didn't know. Does he give actual church sermons or perform other religious duties? The only things I know of him are from what I see on TV and on TV he comes off like the mascot/symbol for the Catholic Church. (I know he's more than that) What is his real power/clout?
I wasnt snapping back at you, I was just illustrating how little todays pope resembles the pope of my 16 years of catholic education.

(Wait till we have a new, young pope to see how much these guys do)
The pope would normally say regular masses and give blessings in the vatican. He's the absolute head of the Catholic church and holder of MASSIVE amounts of land, wealth, art, and historical artifacts.
There are others here more qualified to detail the exact amount of power the pope holds, in a beuracratic sence, over the church.

OT...Im heading to Italy sometime next year, and preparing to have my parish priest write me a letter of introduction, which will then be forewarded to the American Catholic University of Rome ( minimum 1 month in advance of my trip) for the purpose of being granted an audience with the pope. ( large room, not personel)...

...sadly, it may be a new pope by then, and not the only pope I have ever really known JPII.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.