DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Any opinions on this recumbant "go nowhere" bike? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/411324-any-opinions-recumbant-go-nowhere-bike.html)

kvrdave 02-24-05 01:37 PM

Any opinions on this recumbent "go nowhere" bike?

http://www.fitnessquest.com/scripts/...item=1-E491#FB

I am not crazy about buying something from the company that brought us the Ab Lounge. :lol: I have a commercial grade exercise bike currently and have decided that was a mistake. I have used it for years, but the seat is killing my ass. I have tried a gel seat cover, but it was actually worse, for some reason. So I have decided to try a recumbant (they always feel better on my ass). Anyway, anyone have one of these or something else they recommend. I'm looking to stay under $500 or so.

Epinions has 2 reviews and they are 4/5. SOunds like the least resistant is tough for some, but I've been at this long enough that I don't anticipate a problem.

Buford T Pusser 02-24-05 02:46 PM

Do you Costco? They have a very nice Schwinn fopr $300 something. I picked up last years model and it's still working well. The features compared to many models around $800-1000 including Schwinn's models in normal stores.

dick_grayson 02-24-05 02:47 PM

what's the difference between one where you're on a regular looking bike versus the one where you're leaning back?

kvrdave 02-24-05 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
what's the difference between one where you're on a regular looking bike versus the one where you're leaning back?

From what I have read, the "leaning back" is better for people with bad backs. Mine is fine so that isn't an issue. I think that you also work the leg muscles differently and guys who bike for fun don't bother with the recumbent because it doesn't work the same stuff. For me, it is just cardio and nothing more. I find that the upright bikes just tend to hurt my ass.

I do Costco, but don't see any Schwinn on their website. I suppose I could call. It's a two hour drive, so I hate to go and find they don't have it.

Green Jello 02-24-05 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
From what I have read, the "leaning back" is better for people with bad backs. Mine is fine so that isn't an issue. I think that you also work the leg muscles differently and guys who bike for fun don't bother with the recumbent because it doesn't work the same stuff. For me, it is just cardio and nothing more. I find that the upright bikes just tend to hurt my ass.

I do Costco, but don't see any Schwinn on their website. I suppose I could call. It's a two hour drive, so I hate to go and find they don't have it.

Dave - Keep in mind that recumbant bikes are not very good outside of flat areas. It is SIGNIFICANTLY harder to climb hills in them. Other than that, they are very comfortable to ride.

kvrdave 02-24-05 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Green Jello
Dave - Keep in mind that recumbant bikes are not very good outside of flat areas. It is SIGNIFICANTLY harder to climb hills in them. Other than that, they are very comfortable to ride.

I'm talking about exercise bikes that "go nowhere". Outside doesn't have TV. -wink-

Save Ferris 02-24-05 03:31 PM

I love my recumbant exercise bike, its great--you can watch tv and play video games while using it. I got a cheapo Kmart one that was on sale. The only thing is that sometimes after long use, the grease in the gears can heat up making some stinky chemical fumes that burn my throat a little. The one you're looking at says it uses magnetic resistance and maybe wont have that problem. Mine was only $100 so maybe the pricey ones are better in that regard.

Green Jello 02-24-05 03:44 PM

I'm talking about exercise bikes that "go nowhere". Outside doesn't have TV. -wink-

Perhaps I should have looked at the link. :)

I was thinking of one of these:

http://www.letsches.com/images/Visio...Hed_wheels.jpe

Buford T Pusser 02-24-05 03:53 PM

Costco-they get these every year in time for the New Year's Resolution crowd and when they're gone they're gone.

Last week ours still had several.

At the time I bought mine it was the last boxed one. My parents decided to get one and they found the last one (demo model) at the Costco on the other side of town.

kvrdave 02-24-05 03:58 PM

Portland Costcos are out. Should have some the first of the month, but I don't know if my ass can wait.

adamblast 02-24-05 04:15 PM

Do you get enough aerobic exercise from a bike to really lose calaries?

I just assumed that in order to sweat or raise your heartbeat much you've got to get your arms really involved too.

I'm never gonna join a gym or start taking long walks. Doing something while watching TV might help some.

adamblast 02-24-05 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I love my recumbant exercise bike, its great--you can watch tv and play video games while using it.

That's what I need, then. Something I where I can exercise and smoke simultaneously. :lol:

Green Jello 02-24-05 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by adamblast

I just assumed that in order to sweat or raise your heartbeat much you've got to get your arms really involved too.

Absolutely not. I ride on both up rights and recumbants every morning at my gym and I'm able to easily keep my heartrate in the training range the entire time. For your average 30 year old male, you want to keep it at 130 - 140 bpm for optimal fat burning.

kvrdave 02-25-05 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by adamblast

I'm never gonna join a gym or start taking long walks. Doing something while watching TV might help some.

It's all about heart rate, so it doesn't matter if you only move your pinky rapidly enough, so long as you can get the heart rate up.

I ran up to the Yakima (actually Union Gap) Costco, and they had the Schwinn in stock. Obviously central WA doesn't care as much about exercise as the Portland metro area. :lol: Just got it put together and it should be fine. The seat is fantastic. My ass will thank me.

The only real problem I see is that the resistance is pretty wussy. The first 5 settings aren't even worth bothering with. It feels like zero resistance. Level 7 seems okay, though, and I don't really increase resistance often, just speed, so it should be fine. Nice to have a heart monitor built in so I don't have to use the thing around my chest combined with an oversized watch anymore. Valueamerica.com??? Got it from some place like that with some deal. May have been MSN dollars.

Buford T Pusser 02-25-05 08:37 AM

Maybe the resistance changed on your model? :confused: Mine is pretty good.

The poster with the idea to try out Costco must be a highly intelligent, astute shopper that truly cares about his or her fellow members. Kudos to them. :thumbsup:

:p

kvrdave 02-25-05 10:18 AM

:lol: I had remembered seeing them there before, but everything is a long ways away from me, so it took some motivation to go.

Buford T Pusser 02-25-05 10:20 AM

Well then. The poster is a true motivator of the highest order. :thumbsup:

kvrdave 02-25-05 10:27 AM

Hear, hear!

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mhear.html

The correct term is, "hear, hear!" It is an abbreviation for "hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"

wendersfan 02-25-05 03:44 PM

From what I have read, the "leaning back" is better for <b><i>hippies</b></i> with bad backs.

Fixed.