Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Can you still retrieve images from a digital camera after submerging it underwater?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Can you still retrieve images from a digital camera after submerging it underwater?

Old 02-24-05, 01:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind that it was not only underwater, but baked in the sun and sand fill smashed-up. It must be one hell of a memory card.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...lphoto24m.html

It was like a puzzle these images from a broken digital camera washed up on a deserted beach in Thailand.

Christian Pilet of North Bend could not have known the power of his discovery: the last photos taken by a couple who lost their lives in the Dec. 26 tsunami and the closure the photo diary would bring to a grieving family half a world away in British Columbia.

Taken in sequence, the photographs tell a gripping story: John and Jackie Knill arriving at a Khao Lak resort, happily enjoying Christmas dinner with a large group of friends and then basking in a brilliant tropical sunset.

The next day, the couple is seen hugging, smiling radiant on the beach. Then the story turns ominous: people stroll the beach under a clear blue sky, apparently oblivious to the large wave that has formed a line across the horizon.

The wave gets closer, its power more evident as it kicks up sand and mud and finally crashes onto the beach.

"We were stunned just out of the blue, an echo from the grave," Pilet said. "What we saw in these pictures were the last five minutes of these people's lives."

Pilet knew nothing about the man and woman in these photos. But through the power of the Internet and dogged determination, he would find their family not in Germany or Sweden as he'd originally suspected but virtually in his own back yard.

The Knills of North Vancouver, B.C., had been on a four-month vacation in Thailand when they were caught in the deadly tsunami.

The disaster killed more than 170,000 people, including about a dozen Canadians.

Well known across western B.C., John Knill was retired from an alarm company his family founded and was involved in music production; Jackie had recently sold a yacht-detailing business.

Of the photos, their son Patrick Knill, 28, said, "This is more than we could ever have asked for. It's like being there with our parents and seeing what they were seeing in those final moments.

"So many people still have no answers. It has taken so much stress off me and my brothers. It's hard not knowing anything and now we know."

Pilet, a missionary with the Association of Baptists for World Evangelism, had traveled with colleagues to Southeast Asia earlier this month to assess the relief effort.

He and a friend had taken a break from the group to explore the beach.

The resorts were all destroyed, he recalls. "We saw suitcases that were never claimed. Shoes. Thousands and thousands of shoes. Passports ... "

"My friend spotted the camera. One more piece of junk. It was smashed up pretty bad."

more on site....
Old 02-24-05, 01:15 PM
X
Administrator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Sure. It's just solid state memory.
Old 02-24-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Let me be the first to say yes. I've found discs in the dryer after pants were washed.
Old 02-24-05, 01:33 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder what kind of camera it was.
Old 02-24-05, 01:40 PM
Banned

Yeah, with most cameras it's just a matter of taking out the card, brushing it off, letting it dry, and plugging it in. The memory is solid state, it's not like it has a power source to short out or something.
Old 02-24-05, 01:57 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I've had a CompactFlash card go through the washer and dryer and still work.
Old 02-24-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts
Why were they standing there taking pictures?
Old 02-24-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a digital camera question but I don't think it's worthy for it's own thread.

Can you transfer pictures from your PC back to your camera? Do some do this and others do not?
Old 02-24-05, 04:47 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I have a digital camera question but I don't think it's worthy for it's own thread.

Can you transfer pictures from your PC back to your camera? Do some do this and others do not?
Sure. The flash cards work just like a small hard drive and can have files copied to them just as easily as from them.
Old 02-24-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can you reccomend a program or something that can do that? My nieces brought their cam here when they came to live with us, but they didn't bring any software or anything.
Old 02-24-05, 05:07 PM
X
Administrator

Windows Explorer.

The card should look just like a disk drive with a drive letter when it's plugged into the computer.
Old 02-24-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This can probably have its own thread, but i just saw this article related to a recovered camera from the tsunami.

pretty sad and scary

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/02/24/t....ap/index.html

check out the gallery
Old 02-24-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see that, and I can double click on it and it'll open up a folder with all of the pictures I have on the cam. But how do I add pictures to my cam? I tried dragging pictures from a folder onto my computer, to that folder I found, but when I look up the picture on the cam it says that it's unsupported, invalid, or something like that.