Reload this Page >

The Peabody hotel Memphis

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-23-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody ever been there? The hotel seems to be right in the middle of downtown Memphis right in the heart of it all. Staying at the hotel seems like one of those things you should do before you die type of thing, and at $210.00 a night it should be. They have ducks that walk on a red carpet down from their penthouse to the fountain in the front lobby, they march to a band and a duck master and they frolic in the fountain from 11-5. Check here if you don't believe me.

http://www.peabodymemphis.com/asp/du...ec=vgu&sub=duc

I was planning a Memphis visit last year but never got to go, this year though it is a go-go. Should I splurge to say at the Peabody or should I just Priceline it?
Old 02-23-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's worth staying there.
Old 02-23-05, 09:08 PM

I was there about three years ago. Didn't stay at the Peabody but did go inside and up to the roof to take a look at the ducks. It is an older hotel but probably the nicest in the downtown area. Personally, I would rather stay a bit away from the center of the city. We stayed in the Germantown area which was nice. It really depends on whether or not you will have a car during your stay. Bealle Street was so much fun, great bar-b-que and lots of shops.
Old 02-23-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Save your money and stay at the new Hampton Inn near Beale Street. Its a short walk from the Peabody and you can always go see the ducks for free.

Hampton Inn Peabody Place

Take it from me. I spent my wedding night at the Peabody and after you get out of the lobby, it's just a cramped older hotel.
Old 02-23-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forget staying anywhere in downtown Memphis if it's during Memphis in May, specifically the music festival April 29-May 2.
Old 02-23-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Regardless of where you stay, you have to go to the Rendezvous downtown for barbeque.

And I'd be willing to bet you can get a better price than $210 a night at the Peabody.
Old 02-24-05, 02:15 AM
Banned

I live about a block and a half away from the Peabody downtown. It's quite a cool place. They have some fairly extensive facilities like a spa and such, and in the summers they have rooftop parties which are always pretty fun. The ducks are neat. The bar is *expensive* but good. The shops inside the hotel lobby are pretty cool and they actually have some good bargins sometimes, if you look around. Right next door is Peabody Place, which is like a mall except smaller and weirder. Very popular hangout on the weekends. Rendezvous is right across the street and is a must visit, as they have the best dry ribs on the planet.
Old 02-24-05, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Just remember that if someone asks you if you are a Christian child, the correct response is, "Maam, I am tonight!"

Yes, it is definitely worth it to stay at The Peabody, at least once.
Old 02-24-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I am going to try for the hotel, I saw travelocity had it for $210.00 with a King Size bed, but that is the cheapest I have found. The Hampton Inn looks good as well, but if I'm going to spend over $150.00 I might as well spend $210.00. Yeah, I'll stay at the Peabody and order roast duck!

The Randevous is on my list as well as (hopefully) Graceland and lots of shopping on
Bealle st. I'll be staying there on May 25th and arriving right after rush hour, so hopefully I won't hit to much traffic or conjestion. It looks like Memphis in May is just about over by the time I get there so i'm not to worried about that. However I just found out that I am staying in Indianapolis the same weekend as the 500
Old 02-24-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Peabody in Orlando is also very nice. I suspect the one in Memphis is similar.
Old 03-10-05, 01:39 PM
Banned

FWIW, Bush is coming to town tommorrow and speaking on his Social Security reform at like 9am. They're closing off all the streets around the Peabody Hotel for tonight, so I'd say that's quite likely where he's staying the night.

So there you go. High class indeed.