Loose Tiger Killed In Socal

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-23-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOS ANGELES --

Authorities shot and killed a tiger Wednesday that had been roaming the hills near the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley.

The cat was shot several hundred yards from soccer and baseball fields at the edge of a housing development, said Lorna Bernard, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Fish and Game.

"It's unfortunate that we had to kill it," Bernard said. "It's even more unfortunate that the person who owned it didn't come forward and alert us immediately. We might have been able to capture it."

Trackers with the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Services and state Fish and Game had to shoot to kill because a tranquilizer would have taken five to 10 minutes to bring down the animal, Bernard said. They were concerned the animal might attack them or bolt onto a nearby highway.

Authorities received a call just after 6 a.m. from a resident who reported the tiger strolling past his back fence. He said his children took pictures from inside their home.

Ken Tucker said the tiger walked to a nearby house and "was just staring down" the neighbor's dogs.

The trackers had been looking for the animal for eight days, using infrared equipment at night. They had set traps with goat meat and chicken.

The hunt began after the discovery of paw prints on a ranch near the library that were far too large for native bobcats or mountain lions. The size of the tracks indicated the animal weighed as much as 600 pounds.

Bernard said the owner could have told authorities about the tiger's temperament and eating habits, which might have helped them catch the animal sooner.

As the cat roamed the hills, it became hungrier and disoriented, making it more dangerous to the nearby community of horse ranches and sprawling homes.

Authorities said they were investigating how the cat got loose in the hills.

"Obviously we'll be looking at all the facilities in the area that housed big cats," Bernard said.

Two weeks ago, authorities removed nearly two dozen large cats, including lions and tigers, from property rented by Abby and Emma Hedengran not far from the library, Bernard said. All the animals that inspectors found on the property were accounted for, she said.

Bernard said the couple had a permit to keep the animals in a facility in Temecula in Riverside County but had moved them to Moorpark in Ventura County, where they did not have a license to keep the animals.

The only facility in that area with a license to house exotic cats is Moorpark College's teaching zoo, said Kathy Jenks, director of the Ventura County Department of Animal Regulations. No tigers have escaped from the facility, she said.

A necropsy will be performed on the tiger, which could help provide clues to its history by identifying tattoos or other distinctive marks.
Old 02-23-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Dang.. I was hoping for a happy ending to this.
Old 02-23-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

a tiger was roaming the hills for eight days!
Old 02-23-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts
Let's give a round of golf claps to the owner for letting the public know about this. He's lucky no one was killed. And it's very sad the tiger had to be killed because of the owner's relunctance.
Old 02-23-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Let's give a round of golf claps to the owner for letting the public know about this. He's lucky no one was killed. And it's very sad the tiger had to be killed because of the owner's relunctance.
Yeah I live about 20 miles (as the crow flies) from Simi and this was all over the news. I hope they find out who's cat this was and bust them good. Poor thing was probably just hungry..
Old 02-23-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I live miles away from where this all happened. Its a shame they had to kill the poor animal. Hopefully there own will suffer the same fate.
Old 02-23-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
poor tiger
looks like AR15s were used in the hunt based on the pictures in the Photo Gallery: Tiger killed in Moorpark link
http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,...728279,00.html
Old 02-23-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I logged onto to Yahoo, I quickly read that headline and thought that Ronald Reagan shot Tiger Woods in his library.

...and that is why speed reading doesn't always work.
Old 02-23-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn, that sucks He will be missed

Old 02-23-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope they made sure it wasn't these guys.
Old 02-24-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing to do now but slap the head on the wall and bite into a juicy tiger burger.
Old 02-24-05, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by freedexter
When I logged onto to Yahoo, I quickly read that headline and thought that Ronald Reagan shot Tiger Woods in his library.
I heard this was what he imagined he was doing towards the end of his life.

...too soon?
Old 02-24-05, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by BizRodian
I heard this was what he imagined he was doing towards the end of his life.

...too soon?

do you think he went back to his old film days and had the chimp as a sidekick on the hunt? do you think the chimp had a gun too?