Yamaha YZF-R6
62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Which Motorcycle Should I Buy?

Old 02-23-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Motorcycle Should I Buy?

Jumping into the world of crotch rockets and am deciding between these two.

Suzuki GSX-R650

or

Yamaha YZF-R6

Specs are about the same.
Old 02-23-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Get a Hayabusa.
Old 02-23-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know shit about motorcycles, so I'll suggest Yamaha.
Old 02-23-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
I'm so jealous! Anyway, I know a guy at work who has the Yamaha at that link. He's been riding bikes for years and he said he's very happy with it.
Old 02-23-05, 10:38 AM

I have a 03 gixxer 600 and I love it. The new R6's are pretty good and are starting to feel more like the gixxers. In the 600 class there really isn't that much of a difference that separates the bikes apart, not like the 1000 class. The only difference I see is the name and the color schemes. A little word of advise is to stay as clear as you can from the Honda CBR600 RR. There are a lot of bad reviews on the elecrical wiring on these. Which ever bike you choose just make sure to be safe. By the way is this your first bike, and if it is your smart for getting a 600 and not a bigger bike like someone else suggested.
Old 02-23-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate crotch rockets but if I had to choose I'd go for the Suzuki in red. Given my druthers I'd be riding a Kawi Vulcan but the wife won't let me ride again until the kids are in college.
Old 02-23-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You cant go wrong with either bike, both are great.

You will have to base this decision on something else, other than just compare the bikes specs.

1. price? Can bargain one down to less than the other

2. color? do they both come in the color/colors you want?

3. aftermarket gear? Is there a customization you want that only works for one of them?

4. comfort? Have you sat on them both and do the seat/bars/pegs all hit you in the same plac on both?

5. What tires do they come with stock? Is one set better than the other?

6. can you get anything 'thrown in' if you buy one over the other?
Old 02-23-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Either is fine. With all the bad drivers out there, be sure to also pick up this while you're at it:

Old 02-24-05, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, this is my first bike. I was also looking at the Suzuki 750. Apparently Suzuki is the only dealer that sells them in 750's. I figured something that isn't over the top but yet will last me from my beginning years unitl I have an itch to buy a bigger/better bike. Both bikes are pretty comfortable, though I'm leaning toward the Yamaha. My girlfriend thinks the Yamaha is sweeter looking visually and I'd have to agree but both bikes are pretty sweet. Don't know much about incentives, deals, better tires etc but I'll look into it. I do know they both come in the color I want which is blueThe Hayabusa is a BEAST, and if I was experiience and had a couple more grand in bling I'd consider it.
Old 02-24-05, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My brother had a 2000 yzf-600 I believe. He had it for a week untill someone struck his rear wheel and sent him into a light pole head first. He died instantly. Please, be careful and wear a helmet and protective gear at all times, and also, obey the law.
Old 02-24-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by uli2000
My brother had a 2000 yzf-600 I believe. He had it for a week untill someone struck his rear wheel and sent him into a light pole head first. He died instantly. Please, be careful and wear a helmet and protective gear at all times, and also, obey the law.

Shit. I'm sorry. Stories like that keep me "on the fence" as far as taking the Safety course and trying to ride.
Old 02-24-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Shit. I'm sorry. Stories like that keep me "on the fence" as far as taking the Safety course and trying to ride.
Stories like that should shove you right off that fence and into the safety course even if you are only considering riding.

I went to one course that taught how do counter turns properly , evasive manuevers and how to lay a bike down. But that was over 20 years ago.

If you ride long enough, you are going to hit the pavement at some point.

Last edited by garolo; 02-24-05 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-24-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by phatboy
My girlfriend thinks the Yamaha is sweeter....
I think you have your answer

These bikes have more power than you can imagine. Don't let the 600cc engine fool you into thinking these are 'starter' bikes.

A starter bike is a 250cc-400cc standard or cruiser style. These is not that

Don't take the above the wrong way. I am not saying that these CAN'T be your first bike, you just have to take it easy for a while until you learn how to control the bike. How long that takes is up to you and if you are overconfident in your abilities too soon you will most likely have a problem.

I bought a 1200cc Bandit as my first bike. Everyone said I was crazy and would be dead within minutes of riding it. Here I am 30k miles later and the bike has never been down. Don't misunderstand, I have riden plenty of other bike that friends owned, this was just the first one I owned.
Old 02-24-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
With a name like "phatboy", isn't it pretty obvious what you should buy????

Old 02-24-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by garolo
Stories like that should shove you right off that fence and into the safety course even if you are only considering riding.

I went to one course that taught how do counter turns properly , evasive manuevers and how to lay a bike down. But that was over 20 years ago.

If you ride long enough, you are going to hit the pavement at some point.
Yeah I know. And, btw, since it's been 20 years since <i>you</i> took the course you should take the course again. I think they give discounts for experienced riders to encourage "brush up" classes every few years.

Anyway, I also just heard a report that came out in January that says the number of Middle aged Males who die in Bike accidents is on the rise. Meanwhile younger males are seeing a slight reduction in fatalities. Since I'm not quite Middle Aged I guess the numbers may be in my favor. For the older males they cited things like Buying bikes that were too big for their riding experience and body types(Rich guys buying big ass Harleys and the like), Rushing the learning process, and other things. Here's a link to the story
Old 02-25-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah I know. And, btw, since it's been 20 years since <i>you</i> took the course you should take the course again. I think they give discounts for experienced riders to encourage "brush up" classes every few years.

Anyway, I also just heard a report that came out in January that says the number of Middle aged Males who die in Bike accidents is on the rise. Meanwhile younger males are seeing a slight reduction in fatalities. Since I'm not quite Middle Aged I guess the numbers may be in my favor. For the older males they cited things like Buying bikes that were too big for their riding experience and body types(Rich guys buying big ass Harleys and the like), Rushing the learning process, and other things. Here's a link to the story
OMG, I'm middle aged.
I figure in 10 or 12 years when my kids have gotten out of college I'll be able to get the Vulcan. My eight year loves bikes, so maybe sooner.

Phatboy, definitely take a safety course. It's like the martial arts. You learn it in the hope and expectation of never having to use it. BUT you are well prepared should the need arise.
Old 02-25-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 91 Likes on 67 Posts
Middle age starts in the late 30s.

I second what 4KRG says. A 600 is a race bike, and it has the power and quick response to get you in trouble in a hurry. I would spend the first thousand miles on something a little more forgiving. The classified ads are your friend.

GiantRobo, you need to get your motorcycle certification before you DO get middle aged. I keep reading about the great motorcycle roads in California.
Old 02-26-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NEver fear y'all, already signed up for the safety course over a month ago. Havne't even bought my bike but figured it'd be good for me also figured my ignant ass should take it one step at a time and do it right the first time. And I've had many a friends already tell me, you can buy whatever kind of bike you want as a "starter bike" but learn to respect the bike's power and know your abilities cuz even the one's I'm looking at hav emore than enough juice to satisfy most peoples needs.
Old 02-27-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good move on the safety course. Great course.

But I gotta implore you to follow up on the "starter bike" concept. Fact is, as a beginner, you WILL lay your bike down. And both bikes you list have a lot of bodywork. One "easy over" and you're looking at probably $1000 or more for fiberglass replacement.

You REALLY should get a used and perhaps slightly 'scuffed' bike for a starter. And don't even think about the specs. It will be a LONG LONG time before you could push either of these bikes to 80% of their capabilities.
Old 02-27-05, 09:57 PM

Gotta' vote for the R6 in blue. Got mine about a year ago and itching to get it back out. Definitely do the safety course, get a good helmet, gloves, leather jacket, etc. One good thing about getting a new bike is that you have to break in the motor, so you have to keep the revs and speed down for the first 600-900 miles. My R6 was limited to about 60 mph top speed for a long time, which helped me to learn to handle the bike and not try to be quick on it.
Old 02-27-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Judge Smails
One good thing about getting a new bike is that you have to break in the motor, so you have to keep the revs and speed down for the first 600-900 miles.
Now to sidetrack the thread

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

However, if you are a new rider I suggest you get a more experienced rider to get the bike home from the dealer for you if you want to break it in per the links directions