Reload this Page >

Woman won't leave hospital

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-22-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

From Foxnews, true defender of the elderly.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,148287,00.html
A California woman, caught in a strange legal limbo, has been living in a hospital even though she was discharged more than a year ago.

"I've been here more than a year, never had any medication, never had any treatment, never had a fever, have a perfect heart, blood pressure is like a teenager," Sarah Nome, 82, said in a telephone interview from the San Rafael Medical Center (search) north of San Francisco. "It isn't that I'm not ready to go. I just have nowhere to go."

After several leg operations in 2002, Nome was unable to walk or care for herself and moved into the first of several nursing homes.

The last one sent her to the hospital for a psychiatric evaluation, but she was discharged when nothing wrong was found with her.

The problem is that Nome has sued every nursing home she's ever lived in meaning that none in the area want to take her.

Now Kaiser Permanente (search), which runs the hospital, is suing her for the over $1 million she's racked up in costs.

"We're really not interested in her money," Kaiser attorney Stanley Watson said. "We just want her cooperation."

Watson said hospital officials have tried to find a suitable home for Nome, but Nome and her daughter insist on staying in Marin County.

"I can assure you that we don't plan on having the sheriff come in and physically remove her and put her on the street," Watson said.

Nome's television privileges have been taken away, and she said she spends most of her time reading and looking out the window.
Old 02-22-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem is that Nome has sued every nursing home she's ever lived in meaning that none in the area want to take her.
Most important part of the article.
Old 02-22-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, this was interesting also.
Watson said hospital officials have tried to find a suitable home for Nome, but Nome and her daughter insist on staying in Marin County.
Old 02-22-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
"I can assure you that we don't plan on having the sheriff come in and physically remove her and put her on the street," Watson said.
Why the hell not?
Old 02-22-05, 04:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by General Zod
Why the hell not?
Can you imagine the backlash/headline "Kaiser throws 82 year old woman out on the street". Never mind most people will never read the whole story or know about the fact she was a squatter. The bad PR alone is probably not worth it.
Old 02-22-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They should slip her a mickey and give her one last ambulance ride over to her daughter's place.
Old 02-22-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I heard about this on CNN last week. They offered to waive all million $$$ worth of medical bills if she'd just leave, and she refused. The story made it sound as if she owned her own home, but just couldn't live there, because she said "I'm worried that if they sue me I'll lose my house."

This is ridiculous. Her situation sucks, but it's partially her own fault for not moving to a different area, and it's not the hospital's fault at all. I'd eventually Milton-ize her (from Office Space) by gradually phasing her out of the hospital. Cut off tv? Check. Block windows? Check. Remove all lights except the bare minimum from the room? Check. Stop offering food and service, and start charging for outside food/service to be delivered? Check.
Old 02-22-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
Can you imagine the backlash/headline "Kaiser throws 82 year old woman out on the street". Never mind most people will never read the whole story or know about the fact she was a squatter. The bad PR alone is probably not worth it.
Nah. A good PR person can handle this. Boot her out (and I want the picture of the guy with big black boot kicking her out the door and her flying through the air), and have the PR folks say that they feel terrible but they have a responsibility to their customers and a promise to keep costs as low as possible.. blah blah blah..

And they should do it before every homeless person hears that Kaiser won't kick you out once you "move in".
Old 02-22-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A California woman, caught in a strange legal limbo, has been living in a hospital even though she was discharged more than a year ago.
Here's the problem -- they should have kicked her ass out a long, long time ago.
Old 02-22-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i bet there is some crazy california law at work here where the hospital must care for her for some reason. My wife used to do discharge in a hospital and she would kick people out no matter how much they begged to stay.
Old 02-22-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Here's the problem -- they should have kicked her ass out a long, long time ago.
Old 02-22-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i bet there is some crazy california law at work here where the hospital must care for her for some reason. My wife used to do discharge in a hospital and she would kick people out no matter how much they begged to stay.
I think the standard procedure is if nursing homes are not an option, the doctor determines if the patient requires a social worker to make sure the patient is being treated well by a guardian after release. But the doctor probably found that she didn't require a social worker. The lady's daughter is the main problem. I can't see an 82 year-old lady going around suing nursing homes unless she had a lot of "advice."
Old 02-22-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Throw her ass out!!!!! What a radiculos waste of an excuse this lady is!!!! Now we are all going to have to pay $20 more because of her stupid antics. I wish I could have sterilized her earlier!!!! Maybe somebody should just go kvrdave style on her.
Old 02-22-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
I agree, kick her out. Insurance rates will go up now
Old 02-22-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I also heard she had a house and signed it over to her daughter so she wouldnt lose it if she got sued. I heard she is a professional PITA. I wouldnt be surprized if she was one of those doctor/lawyer combos.
Old 02-22-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Id kinda like to live in a shopping mall.

Did you ever wish that you could hide somewhere in the mall, like in a cabinet or something, and wait for all the stores to close up and your in there all by yourself?

God that would RULE!! Id ride the wonderwheel just like richard pryror
Old 02-22-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This woman is an argument for euthanasia if ever I heard one.
Old 02-22-05, 06:32 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by skiblet

Did you ever wish that you could hide somewhere in the mall, like in a cabinet or something, and wait for all the stores to close up and your in there all by yourself?

Old 02-22-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ridiculous.
Old 02-22-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boot the crazy coot. Then bring big lawsuits on the daughter. For what? Who the hell cares. KP has lawyers laying around. Let them taste the business end of a lawsuit for once.
Old 02-22-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah just give her the old Dr. Jack treatment, she wouldn't know what the hell they were injecting into her anyway.
Old 02-22-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I also heard she had a house and signed it over to her daughter so she wouldnt lose it if she got sued. I heard she is a professional PITA. I wouldnt be surprized if she was one of those doctor/lawyer combos.
Unless it's changed, I believe the daughter has to have ownership for several years before it "sticks", at least Medicare, etc. wise. It's to prevent people from stashing away all their assests so they can get public assistance.
Old 02-22-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, but then I read "Evening Primrose" by John Collier and learned it's not all it's cracked up to be. (Humor/horror about a guy who moves into a department store).
Old 02-23-05, 10:30 AM

Id ride the wonderwheel just like richard pryror
Now.. that is all fun and games until your new best friend Mister Wonder T. Wheel lays dying in your arms.
Old 02-23-05, 11:02 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Usually a bland, soft, no salt diet will cause people to beg to be discharged from the hospital. This woman should have been thrown out a long time ago.
Reminds me of the time I was in Residency in Atlanta and we had this woman which the nursing homes wouldn't take due to no vacancies. The social worker and I had a meeting with the family(2 sons who were very well off). The social worker and the family said "The government should do something." I was in residency so I was lower than the most junior clerk on the totem pole so I couldn't let them have it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.