Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Transferring a Vehicle from One Dealership to Another

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Transferring a Vehicle from One Dealership to Another

Old 02-22-05, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transferring a Vehicle from One Dealership to Another?

My wife and I are looking into buying a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The problem we currently face is that no nearby dealership has the specific vehicle with the options that we want.

However, using the Nissan website to search Dealer inventories, I found the exact vehicle we are looking for (two actually) in Florida. I live near Nashville, TN.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any experience with having a dealer transfer (over several hundred miles) a vehicle from one dealership to another? How much of a hassle will this be, and how will my local dealer react when (if) I inform him that I want a vehicle that is currently in Florida?

Last edited by Commander Dan; 02-22-05 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-22-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's extremely common within a Metro area. I think it's pretty uncommon over distances like you are describing. As a minimum, you should expect to pay the extra shipping costs. They may not be willing to do it at all as it may be so uncommon they don't have any "reciprocity" agreements as dealers in a given area usually do.
Old 02-22-05, 02:54 PM
Banned

Meh. I'd drive down to the other dealer and pick it up. Take a weekend to do it, sort of thing.
Old 02-22-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Depends if he has one they want to "X" out (i think 'transfer' out) What ends up happening is that they 'trade' with the dealership for a car of relatively the same value that the dealer might need/want. For instance, if dealer X has a surplus of vans, and dealer Y has a surplus of truck...but needs a van, they can trade merchandise and/or money. (They cut a check for any difference in $$)

It is a common occurance among regional dealerships. For hard to find vehicles...they also do it.

-pedagogue
Old 02-22-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The dealership of my current car didn't have the one with the options I wanted. They searched the database and found one in the southern part of the state that did and traded one of theirs for it. It was for the same make and model, just different options. I didn't have to pay anything extra for it.
Old 02-22-05, 02:59 PM
Banned by request

Well, it can't hurt to ask, can it? The worst they can do is say no.
Old 02-22-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Well, it can't hurt to ask, can it? The worst they can do is say no.
Or they could go Akron, OH on you.

-pedagogue
Old 02-22-05, 03:43 PM
Moderator Emeritus

It's worth asking. I know a guy who bought a new VW at a Mitsubishi dealer. They traded with a VW dealer that was about 70 miles away.
Old 02-22-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Otto
Meh. I'd drive down to the other dealer and pick it up. Take a weekend to do it, sort of thing.

This is what I have done.

but it all depends on how much you are willing to pay.

You have the most bargaining power when the dealer you are at has the car you want on his lot ready to go. Since you are asking the dealer to 'work' for you, they will charge enough to make it worth their while.

Depending on the mood of the dealer, you migth be better off trying to order a vehicle how you want it from the factory and just waiting the 6 to 8 weeks for delivery.
Old 02-22-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
my chevy dealer in buffalo brought in my trailblazer from somewhere in Ohio. it was about 200 miles (they drove my trailblazer back instead of putting it on a truck, so I saw the mileage)
Old 02-22-05, 05:40 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far…

Certainly, I will ask the dealer about the transfer, though I was simply wondering what to expect. Who knows? The dealer may be able to find what we want much closer to home, despite my fairly tedious search through the Nissan website.

Let’s say that I decide to go out-of-state to buy my vehicle: What kind of fees and/or taxes will I be looking at to get the thing into my “home” state?

Last edited by Commander Dan; 02-22-05 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-22-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
in NY I'm 99% sure you get hit with normal state income tax when you go to the dmv to register, so buying out of state doesn't save you anything in that regard