Reload this Page >

How many in this graphic?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-22-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

This graphic goes from 12 people to 13 people.. how does the extra person get in there? I'm officially annoyed.

Old 02-22-05, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The guy in the black shirt that starts out on the top right and the guy in the white shirt that always stays on the bottom left are the keys. When the move happens, white shirt's hair moves over, but he doesn't get new hair. And black shirts shoe soles get cut off but he doesn't get new ones. So one way of looking at it is that they're both half people (they lose something they don't regain in the move), and thus you see an extra person if you count them as whole people (half + half = whole).
Old 02-22-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Thanks Otto - I see what you're saying. I don't see how the little chunk from the guys hair and the little chunk from the shoes would make up enough to form a whole extra person. If it was cutting them off half-way or even 1/4 way perhaps.. but there doesn't seem to be enough graphics there to create the extra person.

Then again.. I can't figure it out anyhow - so perhaps you are right
Old 02-22-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what otto says is whats going on...with a creative artist. the bottom right guy's chest becomes the chin of the "extra" head.
Old 02-22-05, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by General Zod
Thanks Otto - I see what you're saying. I don't see how the little chunk from the guys hair and the little chunk from the shoes would make up enough to form a whole extra person. If it was cutting them off half-way or even 1/4 way perhaps.. but there doesn't seem to be enough graphics there to create the extra person.

Then again.. I can't figure it out anyhow - so perhaps you are right
It's really not a matter of the amount of graphics, it's a matter of looking at half people and considering them to be whole people.

When the top right moves over, it has 5 top halves that fit onto 5 bottom halves. However those two half people don't match anything else on the other side. This creates the extra person.

And Venusian is right too. Look real close at each interchange. The guy changes in some way. The chin becomes a head, etc. Basically the guy is shorter. If you want to think of it that way, all those little bits of graphics add up to make up the appearant difference in amount of ink, sort of thing.

Last edited by Otto; 02-22-05 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-22-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm having a really hard time with this... and I'm a visual person!
Old 02-22-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm just gonna accept it until Stephen Hawking proves otherwise.
Old 02-22-05, 10:15 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool
Old 02-22-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's one of those classic brainteasers. I remember seeing something similar years ago (I think it was Popular Science) by the guy who created it. Even as a cutout, flipping the upper two parts and examining it very carefully, I still couldn't figure it out.