Reload this Page >

Best beds for bad backs?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Best beds for bad backs?

Old 02-21-05, 01:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best beds for bad backs?

There may have been a thread about this before, but when I did a search I got tons of threads, and none of them seemed applicable.

WhoGirl and I are looking for a new bed to replace her current one, for when I move in. Her current mattress isn't bad, but it is too small for both of us to sleep on day in and day out.

WG has had recurring back problems that have been exacerbated, lately. As for me, I've been sleeping on air mattresses since August and the prolonged exposure has done a number on my back and legs. So we thought, since we need a new bed, anyway, we might as well get one designed for people with bad backs.

Now, I know there are several different types of beds for this. Posturepedic, those foam beds, sleep number, etc. My question is, which one of these do you think is the best? You might have one, or you might have a friend who has one. You might have tried one and hated it, or tried another and wish you could have bought it at the time. Give me your thoughts.

Another question would be, should we just get a regular mattress (which would be a lot cheaper), and buy one of those foam covers? Would a foam cover be enough? I don't mind spending more for a bed designed specifically for people with bad backs, but not if the cheaper alternative will work just as well.

Thanks for any help you can give us.
Old 02-21-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
WG has had recurring back problems that have been exacerbated, lately.

take it easy on her tough guy.

i sleep on a matress pad on the floor. my back is solid gold baby!
Old 02-21-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

the floor is the best for a bad back.
Old 02-21-05, 01:19 PM
Banned

I have minor back problems, and most of them have been solved since I got a Tempurpedic mattress. Only downside is the price, which is frickin' high. Nevertheless, I love the thing and don't like to sleep on anything else.
Old 02-21-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We just bought a Nature's Rest mattress. 100% latex. No springs whatsoever. Thing is really nice but expensive. $3K.

Nature's Rest
Old 02-21-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recently got a Sleep Number bed and have not slept as well since I was a teenager! I used to have some lower back problems, but haven't had any since this bed. Although expensive ($2000 for queen size), it has a 25 year warrantee and you and WG can set the firmness on each side of the matress. I can't recommend it enough!
Old 02-21-05, 01:33 PM
Banned by request

The one thing that makes me reticent about the sleep number is that we don't sleep exclusively with one person on one side and the other person on the other. So it might be weird if we have our numbers set very different to move over and find the bed to be widely different from how you like it.

I just found this site: www.bettersleep.org. I'll be taking a look at it when I'm on lunch.

Thanks for the responses, keep 'em coming!

By the way, has anybody heard of McRoskey Airflex beds?
Old 02-21-05, 01:46 PM
Moderator Emeritus

My wife's back problems pretty much went away when we got a Select Comfort mattress. That made it worth the ~$2K to me. My sleep number is 45.
Old 02-21-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh boy, yet another "I Am Sleeping with Whogirl and You Aren't, MUAHAHAHAHA!!!" thread.

In all seriousness, I am very interested in the responses. I have been considering the same thing myself lately.
Old 02-21-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to hear some more recommendations too. My wife's back has been acting up, and she wants to try a new mattress (we're probably due for one anyway). That Sleep Number sounds interesting, I've never heard of it.
Old 02-21-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Be sure to tell 'em Dave Johnson sent ya!!
Old 02-21-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
I have a tempurpedic and i have not had a sore back since I got it. Go to a home show in your area and see if you can wheel and deal with the salesman or better the owner. I got a king size deluxe for 1400 and it lists for over 2k.
Old 02-22-05, 12:03 PM
Banned by request

I saw some web pages complaining about the tempurpedic beds. Have there been a lot complaints about them?
Old 02-22-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are Tempurepedics the ones with the "memory foam?" Not a big fan of that stuff.
Old 02-22-05, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by damn_skippy
I have a tempurpedic and i have not had a sore back since I got it. Go to a home show in your area and see if you can wheel and deal with the salesman or better the owner. I got a king size deluxe for 1400 and it lists for over 2k.
I 100% agree.

I'm 6'5" 290 lbs so I obviously have my share of back issues. These are the best beds I've ever slept on. Pretty spendy though.
Old 02-22-05, 12:18 PM

http://duxbed.com/
Old 02-22-05, 12:25 PM
Banned

I have read that some people think the Tempurpedic beds are too hard. They sell them in 8, 10 and 12 inch models. The thicker the mattress, basically the softer it is. I got the 10 inch one myself, and frankly it's the most comfortable bed I've ever laid on. I can see how people would dislike the firmness of the 8 inch model though.

Basically if you're even thinking about it, I recommend going to a local store and trying them out. I found a "Relax the Back" store nearby and checked them out before purchasing one.

Again, the only complaint I have is the price. They're majorly frickin' expensive. Some of the off-brands are cheaper and pretty similar, and you can get them in varying levels of softness too, but with this sort of thing I really recommend trying before you buy.
Old 02-22-05, 12:32 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by CRM114
Are Tempurepedics the ones with the "memory foam?" Not a big fan of that stuff.
Yes, the Tempurpedics are made, if I'm correct, entirely of the memory foam. Posturepedics have springs in them.
Old 02-22-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a very bad back and the Kingsdown mattresses has been good for my back.
Old 02-22-05, 12:50 PM
Banned by request

I just went to the Kingsdown website, and while it had a lot of info on why you need good sleep, and why their beds might be good for sleep, I couldn't seem to click on the links to locate a dealer or contact them.
Old 02-22-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, the Tempurpedics are made, if I'm correct, entirely of the memory foam. Posturepedics have springs in them.
Posturepedics are the ones I'm thinking of. They are a hybrid latex and memory foam. They use the memory foam because its cheaper than latex. The 100% latex beds are much more expensive.
Old 02-22-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just went to the Kingsdown website, and while it had a lot of info on why you need good sleep, and why their beds might be good for sleep, I couldn't seem to click on the links to locate a dealer or contact them.
The Kingsdown was the only conventional bed I considered. They seemed to make some good beds. I don't know if you have Sleepy's where you live, but they have them along with most major brands, and the Nature's Rest line.

We literally spent 2-3 hours in the store laying on them and haggling with the mattress guy.
Old 02-22-05, 01:04 PM
Banned by request

Here's the info on posturepedic: http://www.sealy.com/productCatalog/...roductLineID=7

I'm still leaning towards posturepedic, because they're not quite as expensive as the tempurpedic. I'm not too big on the sleep number, as I mentioned before, because WG and I don't sleep explicitally on one side or the other. If I find a good price on the Tempurpedic, though, I might splurge.

Of course, our priorities could change once we actually start laying down on the beds.
Old 02-23-05, 02:52 AM
Banned by request

I forgot to ask: how is sex on the beds you have? Do you find that you sink in too much, or does that just give you more traction?

In short, are beds designed for people with bad backs better or worse than regular beds when it comes to sex?
Old 02-23-05, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I forgot to ask: how is sex on the beds you have? Do you find that you sink in too much, or does that just give you more traction?

In short, are beds designed for people with bad backs better or worse than regular beds when it comes to sex?
You just love to torture these poor bastards.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.