Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Electric lines near houses. Is this harmful?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-21-05, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone knew, or has extensive knowledge on this subject, or even experience living in such a house? Is it harmful to live right next to those large power lines, the ones that you can actaully hear the buzzing?

I plan on purchasing a place, but it is right next to these big power lines. That makes me a little worried, especially with an infant around. So I'm extra cautious.

I did some research on it, and it seems that there isn't any conclusive evidence that it does. But that doesn't really satisfy me. Hope you guys can help!
Old 02-21-05, 03:40 AM
Banned

They're harmless. The buzzing is annoying, but that's about that.

Of course, you might also consider that people don't *think* they're harmless, and that will affect your property values.
Old 02-21-05, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is absolutely zero evidence that they cause any harm whatsoever - aside from being able to electrocute you. Don't touch two of them at once and you'll be just fine.
Old 02-21-05, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What are your sources for such answers? experience? knowledge? Just curious to know.
Old 02-21-05, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.mcw.edu/gcrc/cop/powerlin...r-FAQ/toc.html may help.
There are some researchers who do believe that power lines or highly electromagnetic lines may induce brain malignancies especially in children, who's brain is still growing. You can do a medline search to review any articles that may have been published.
Old 02-21-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We were in a similar situation a while back. Really liked this one house, but it was right next to some high-power lines. Did the same research, I thought it was fairly inconclusive, some places said it was harmless, others said it wasn't. We decided to play it safe and pass on it.
Old 02-21-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The carefully done research all says "no risk" but I think there is a property value issue as lots of people prefer alarmist research to carefully done research.
Old 02-21-05, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KrackerBox
What are your sources for such answers?
Science. Statistics. That sort of thing. I'd look up a specific reference, but frankly it sounds like you need to improve your googling skillz anyway.
Old 02-21-05, 11:58 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cheaper and harder to sell = cheaper and easier to buy
Old 02-21-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk God

From what I have read there is zero harm from it. However, having sold places near lines, know that you will have resale issues. If you are getting it cheaper because of the lines, then just know that you will also be selling it cheaper as a result.

The buzz would annoy me, but you will get used to it after a few days. I would rather be near them than a train track, however.
Old 02-21-05, 12:27 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kvrdave
The buzz would annoy me, but you will get used to it after a few days. I would rather be near them than a train track, however.
Ha! Like you would live there. Why don't you ask the renters what they think of it?
Old 02-21-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kuroiinu
Cheaper and harder to sell = cheaper and easier to buy
you should always buy a house based on how it will be to sell it. put yourself in the position of the future buyer to determine if you should buy it now.

the average mortgage in the US is less then 7 years so you will be selling it in the future.
Old 02-21-05, 01:21 PM
Banned

Ahhhhh...... one of science greatest lies
Old 02-21-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
A friend of mine lives directly underneath high tension lines. One day, a line broke and dropped onto his house, against the swamp cooler. The electricity went down both the electric wires and the plumbing, so it went through everything that was grounded. The light bulbs exploded, flames shot out of his sockets, setting the draps on fire, and the motors of his appliances fused solid. Luckily, he and his wife were at work and his daughter was at school.

The electric company replaced everything. He got a widescreen TV, a top quality sound system, all new kitchen and bathroom, the house rewired and repiped, and complete remodeling.

So there is a definite upside to living under power lines.
Old 02-21-05, 01:41 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
While most of the evidence seems to show no health hazards I personally wouldn't live near them. The radiation from them drops off as the square of your distance from them so it really depends whether you're right under them or not. You get more radiation from electric blankets but it's for a shorter period of time.

You might want to check your radio reception to see if you can even get radio that close to them. I'm also suspicious of long term cell phone usage.
Old 02-21-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
those linemen actually touch the lines and get surrounded by the electromagnetic fields and seem to be ok. recently watched a history channel show on it
Old 02-21-05, 02:00 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

If you hold up a flourescent light bulb next to the lines they will glow. Think about that.
Old 02-21-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
While most of the evidence seems to show no health hazards I personally wouldn't live near them. The radiation from them drops off as the square of your distance from them so it really depends whether you're right under them or not. You get more radiation from electric blankets but it's for a shorter period of time.

You might want to check your radio reception to see if you can even get radio that close to them. I'm also suspicious of long term cell phone usage.
It's not "radiation"

Cell Phones can't hurt you either. The very short version is this: the magnetic waves from cell phones and power lines are too fat to be able to break apart cells in our bodies - the requisite for something to cause cancer. Talk on the phone all you want standing under power lines without worry.

Rent the first disc of Bullshit's second season and watch the "safety hysteria" episode. You could stand to learn something here....
Old 02-21-05, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
If you hold up a flourescent light bulb next to the lines they will glow. Think about that.
So? That's what an electric field does. Are you made of metal? Do you conduct current?

Originally Posted by brizz
It's not "radiation"
Sure it is. Non-ionizing radiation. It's not alpha, beta, or gamma radiation, which is what the uninformed public thinks of when they hear the term, but EM radiation is indeed radiation.
Old 02-21-05, 03:12 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not "radiation"
Go look up electromagnetic radiation.

And I prefer to get my factual information from other places than a TV show.
Old 02-21-05, 04:04 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by Otto
So? That's what an electric field does. Are you made of metal? Do you conduct current?
I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek but the human brain IS a very delicate electric (uses electricity) device that might very well respond to electromagnetic fields.
Old 02-21-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Long article, lots of references to peer reviewed literature. IMO, the little quote below is a fine summary on the risks of EM fields around power lines.
http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...opics/emf.html
In 1997, the National Cancer Institute produced the largest epidemiological study to date, which found no association between childhood leukemia and either wiring codes or measured magnetic fields [9]. The New England Journal of Medicine published the results together with an editorial calling for an end to wasting money on EMF research [10].
Old 02-21-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what i've read, most reserach done hasn't shown any connection between power lines and cancer or leukemia, but when you hear those electric lines buzzing, it starts to put second-thoughts in my mind. I know, maybe irrational, but I'm paranoid.

There have been some reserach done that says they have found a connection between power lines and cancer, but it seems that none of them are too conclusive.

In any case, I still have to think about this. I really like the house, but my paranoid self wants to avoid the place.
Old 02-21-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
It's not "radiation"

Cell Phones can't hurt you either. The very short version is this: the magnetic waves from cell phones and power lines are too fat to be able to break apart cells in our bodies - the requisite for something to cause cancer. Talk on the phone all you want standing under power lines without worry.

Rent the first disc of Bullshit's second season and watch the "safety hysteria" episode. You could stand to learn something here....
RF radiation can cause burns, but you need a lot more powerful transmitter than what a cell phone has
Old 02-21-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

another thing to consider. those lines, while having thousands of more volts than the ones inside your house, are farther away from the ones in your house, and distance matters with EM fields

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.