Reload this Page >

Canadian Speeding Ticket

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Canadian Speeding Ticket

Old 02-20-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian Speeding Ticket

Hypothetically speaking, if a U.S. citizen were to get a speeding ticket while visiting Canada, what would happen if this ticket went unpaid?

Seriously, anyone know what the consequences are of getting a ticket while in Canada? Will this affect my driving record in the states? Is there anyway to fight it, that doesn't involve me going back to Canada? Will it register with my insurance? If I...er...I mean, a person doesn't pay it, will they be banned from the Great White North?
Old 02-21-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts
American and Canadian authorities share that information, so your insurance company would definitely know about a speeding ticket (believe me, I know this from personal experience ). I don't believe you could fight it without having to show up at a court in Canada at some point (I'm 99% sure anyway). If you didn't pay it, you could possibly run into trouble when entering Canada again (especially if you use the same car to enter the country, as Customs always does a quick check on your licence plates). I would just pay it (how bad of a ticket is it?)
Old 02-21-05, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock
American and Canadian authorities share that information, so your insurance company would definitely know about a speeding ticket (believe me, I know this from personal experience ). I don't believe you could fight it without having to show up at a court in Canada at some point (I'm 99% sure anyway). If you didn't pay it, you could possibly run into trouble when entering Canada again (especially if you use the same car to enter the country, as Customs always does a quick check on your licence plates). I would just pay it (how bad of a ticket is it?)

Yeah this is the same info that I am hearing from some of my law knowledgable friends. It seems that the U.S. and Canada have a some sort of cozy reciprocal relationship with these things (damn that NAFTA!).

It is a wretched ticket, I was caught going 91 km/hr in a 60 km/hr zone that was some sort of special safety double fine zone. The end result is 287 Canadian dollars for a freaking speeding ticket. As if that is not bad enough, the U.S. dollar is weak and I barely save any in the conversion!

I am very pissed about this ticket b/c it was on a 4 lane road and it was right after I entered the road. I had not had time to look for a speed limit sign yet. However, like 2 miles later I spotted one and adjusted my speed accordingly. I even made a mental note of the speed limit, but it seems that mister Mountie was already hot on my tail. I have a feeling he spotted my U.S. plates and went after me, b/c I was not going much faster than the rest of the traffic.

I am seriuosly thinking about looking into fighting this ticket. The officer made mention that in Canada, this ticket would mean 4 points on a license, I don't know what that would mean in the States. I was going 20 mph over the speed limit. The guy refused to give me a break as most cops do...ugh!

Does anyone have any info about what the Canadian traffic court is like? Should I try and fight this? Will it likely be reduced? Are you sure that my insurance will get a hold of this info? What happened to you?
Old 02-21-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let's see - you were faster (just "not much faster") than the other traffic, you were going 30 over the limit (91-60=31 - whatever it works out to in MPH is irrelevant) and you're ticked because he didn't cut you a break? Right...
On what grounds do you think you can fight this ticket?
Old 02-21-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by WillieTheShakes
On what grounds do you think you can fight this ticket?
Canadians can't count?

OR

They use the freakin' metric system....I mean really!! Who uses that?!

-pedagogue
Old 02-21-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"They use the freakin' metric system....I mean really!! Who uses that?!"

The cop with the radar gun?
Old 02-21-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
"91 km per hour? But I haven't been out driving for an hour"
Old 02-21-05, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by pedagogue
Canadians can't count?

OR

They use the freakin' metric system....I mean really!! Who uses that?!

-pedagogue
That is what i was thinking

Actually, I really didn't mean "fight" it per se, but just try and get it reduced. I was thinking along the lines of explaining to the 'judge/magistrate/whateveryoucallthatwiggedperson' that I was unfamiliar with the area, it was a four lane road, I didn't see a speed limit sign until a couple of miles in...yadda yadda yadda. Basically a bunch of B.S., but this typically will work in getting a reduction here in the States. However, I am completely unfamiliar with the Canadian court system, so I honestly dont know if it is even worth it.
Old 02-21-05, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
"91 km per hour? But I haven't been out driving for an hour"

Classic.
Old 02-21-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
57 in a 37
Old 02-22-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dave-o
Are you sure that my insurance will get a hold of this info? What happened to you?
I've gotten two speeding tickets in the US. Both times my insurance rates went up the next time I renewed it.

I've never fought a ticket, so I have no idea what traffic court is like. Here in Canada, we have a company called Ex-copper (or something like that), that is basically retired cops that try to help you fight traffic tickets, because they know all the tricks (they win or its free, as the ads say). Never tried it, but I'm kinda curious.
Old 02-22-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
I've gotten two speeding tickets in the US. Both times my insurance rates went up the next time I renewed it.

I've never fought a ticket, so I have no idea what traffic court is like. Here in Canada, we have a company called Ex-copper (or something like that), that is basically retired cops that try to help you fight traffic tickets, because they know all the tricks (they win or its free, as the ads say). Never tried it, but I'm kinda curious.
NEVER use Ex-copper unless you were involved in a huge traffic accident that caused personal injuries. They charge you an excessive amount of money and is not guaranteed as they indicate on those ads. They may be able reduce some of the fine but they won't be able to stop the loss of demerit points.

Here in Ontario especially in Toronto, your best bet for a speeding ticket is going to traffic court and fighting it. However, they make the process as painful as possible.

First you need to go in person to the courthouse in order to schedule the court date. This could take from couple of hours up to half of day depending on how busy they are. Then via mail, they will send you a court date. The court date could be from 6 to 10 months from the time that you received the ticket.
On the day of your court date, you have some options. Before your case is presented before the judge, the Assistant Attorney give you the option of pleading to a lesser offense (from personal experience, I was caught doing 25 km over which was roughly a $150 dollar ticket and loss of two demerit points, however I pleaded to 15 km which resulted in a $75 dollar fine and no demerit points) or going to trial and arguing your case before the judge. The thing is that if the cop that gave you the ticket doesn't show up in court and if you decided to go to trial, your case get thrown out. That's why is very important to arrive to your trial early and make sure to see if the cop is present in order to see what route you want to take. Unfortunately for me the bastard cop showed up and therefore pleaded guilty to the lesser fine.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dave-o
I was caught going 91 km/hr in a 60 km/hr zone that was some sort of special safety double fine zone. The end result is 287 Canadian dollars for a freaking speeding ticket.
Dude, just pay it. That's like USD$12.50.

- David Stein
Old 02-22-05, 02:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Leonardo Leonardo is best known for conquering the fabled wild lands of Canada, where he bought the land from the local tribes in exchange for the terrible polio virus. Ouch!"
Old 02-22-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NEVER use Ex-copper unless you were involved in a huge traffic accident that caused personal injuries. They charge you an excessive amount of money and is not guaranteed as they indicate on those ads. They may be able reduce some of the fine but they won't be able to stop the loss of demerit points
Really? Thanks for the info, I can't believe that an advertisement would lie to me.

And yes, if you want to spend the time and effort (most do not), going to traffic court can help, especially if the cop doesn't show up.

Dude, just pay it. That's like USD$12.50
Those kind of jokes mean less and less, considering the beating the US dollar is taking against other currencies, including the Canadian dollar. (wait a minute, why am I laughing, I get paid in US dollars )
Old 02-22-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Here in Ontario especially in Toronto, your best bet for a speeding ticket is going to traffic court and fighting it. However, they make the process as painful as possible.
One day I decided to go to traffic court just to watch what happens. The judge didn't even let people who had lawyers to speak. He told them to shut up and banged his gavel. It was pretty funny watching the defendant stare at his lawyer realizing that he got ripped off
Old 02-23-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
^I can understand the annoyance of the judge. If you're caught speeding, just pay the damn ticket and be done with it.
If you go through the stop sign, don't whine; just pay the fine.
Old 02-23-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
^I can understand the annoyance of the judge. If you're caught speeding, just pay the damn ticket and be done with it.
If you go through the stop sign, don't whine; just pay the fine.
Totally. I mean, I speed about 95% of the time I'm on the road. Getting caught once a year means that the other 94% of the time, I was breaking the law without getting caught.
Old 02-25-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Same here. Almost everyone on the road goes a "safe" 10 over the limit.