Reload this Page >

Anyone have luck with the patch?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-20-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To stop smoking? I know first off u have to want to quit, just wondering if the patch is effective.
Old 02-20-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
It is somewhat effective, yes. It definitely takes the edge off physical cravings in the first few days. After the first 72 hours, however, quitting smoking becomes a mental contest almost exclusively, at least in my opinion.
Old 02-20-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So did u stop smoking?
Old 02-20-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

JustinS

It is somewhat effective, yes. It definitely takes the edge off physical cravings in the first few days. After the first 72 hours, however, quitting smoking becomes a mental contest almost exclusively, at least in my opinion.
While I've never smoked before, this sounds like the similar response I've heard from friends and family who have successfully quit. I'm certainly no expert, but it seems to me that the most difficult aspect of quitting for most people is beating the habit, not the nicotine. I suspect a patch can help you get started, but after that, it's all up to you.

Honestly, most of the people I know who smoked heavily and then found longterm success quitting did so cold turkey. Once stopping became a genuine priority in their lives, they just up and stopped, and that was that. Addiction affects everyone differently, though.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 02-20-05 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-20-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by das Monkey
While I've never smoked before, this sounds like the similar response I've heard from friends and family who have successfully quit. I'm certainly no expert, but it seems to me that the most difficult aspect of quitting for most people is beating the habit, not the nicotine. I suspect a patch can help you get started, but after that, it's all up to you.
2 of the 3 times I have tried to quit in the past, I easily made it to the 2 week mark. Fighting off specific cravings for cigarettes wasn't that hard. After a while I start to really miss smoking, and fighting that off, at least for me, is so much more of a challenge.
Old 02-20-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While never a smoker, I had the redneck habit. I think it wasn't until about a year to 18 months that I actually quit thinking about it.
Old 02-20-05, 07:00 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

In the past I've tried the patch to quit smoking on several occassions. The first few times I used it, I thought it helped. I'd follow the steps... once I wasn't smoking, I would keep a patch in my wallet (just in case I had to fight a craving). Anyways, so while I thought it worked... it never did really. I think it's more a mental game. The last couple times I tried to use the patch, I always ended up smoking again.

Well, my most recent quitting... I just quit cold turkey. Fought out the first few days, changed my daily routine completely, and now four months later I'm still not smoking. Anyways, I think cold turkey is a better way to go.
Old 02-20-05, 07:03 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Well, some of the new features are nice...and they did fix a few bugs...but now the program is running noticeably slower and sporadically disconnecting from the Internet!
Old 02-20-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I used it for about a month when I quit a few years back. JustinS is correct when he says it's more of a mental challenge after your body no longer expects the nicotine fix. Changing your habits is the best way to aviod the mental cravings.
Old 02-20-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Well, some of the new features are nice...and they did fix a few bugs...but now the program is running noticeably slower and sporadically disconnecting from the Internet!
Microsoft.
Old 02-20-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The patch worked for me .... was a smoker for many, many years, sometimes as much as two packs a day. I picked out a date a few weeks down the road, and planned to take a few days off from work for the big quit, since my job has me on the phone a lot and I always smoked while on the phone.

That was nearly 3 years ago (I actually quit on April 15, 2002 - an easy date to remember) and haven't lapsed once.
Old 02-20-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried the patch for sex addiction, but I was getting tired of the looks I'd get while having time-release orgasms at inopportune moments and places.
Old 02-20-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to smoke, quit when I turned 30 and stayed away for five years (other than one cigar each weekend, never more), though I started it back up a year or so ago. I'm in the middle of trying to quit again, haven't smoked for two weeks now.

Yes, the first few days are the hardest, but once you make it past three days it's just a battle of wills. What I do is keep track of how much money I would be spending on cigarettes on my calendar, then use that money to buy CDs*. Say you smoke 1/2 pack a day at $3.50 / pack, just keep track of $1.75 per day and when you get up to $10 or so, go to Bestbuy or wherever and buy a CD that you want -- you could buy DVDs too, of course, just buy something tangible, something you can pick up in a week and think "I have this only because I didn't spend the money on cigarettes".

The other thing that I remember from 6 years ago, that I'm also doing now, is to not tell myself that I'm quiting forever, to just tell myself that I'm only quiting for a week (if I make it through this week, I'll decide whether or not I want to start up again), then two weeks, then a month, then two months, etc etc.

* I've picked up the 2005 Grammy Nominees CD as well as five or six CDs from secondspin.com (a Bob & Tom comedy CD, a DLG CD (spanish music), and a few soundtracks), my fund is actually in the negative so I need to keep from smoking for at least another week to bring it back to zero.

And like kvrdave, I also used to chew skoal, up to a can a day (this was back when a can was $2, it's apparently much more expensive today). I quit that by smoking more, then eventually quiting smoking, I haven't chewed in 9 years or so, have absolutely no desire to chew again. One day it'll be that way with cigarettes for me.

I've never used the patch, I would only consider it as a last resort. They're too damned expensive! I'd rather be spending the money on CDs as a reward to myself for not smoking.

Last edited by Heat; 02-20-05 at 10:52 PM.