cell phone jammers on the loose in NYC

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-20-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like some people with no life have nothing better to do

I can understand someone doing this on the bus or in a restaraunt, but the fool who followed the guy for 20 minutes in the mall deserves a beat down

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/40168.htm

Can you hear me now?

Unsuspecting cellphone users may find themselves saying that more often now that cellphone jammers illegal gizmos that interfere with signals and cut off reception are selling like hotcakes on the streets of New York.

"I bought one online, and I love it," said one jammer owner fed up with the din of dumb conversations and rock-and-roll ringtones.

"I use it on the bus all the time. I always zap the idiots who discuss what they want from the Chinese restaurant so that everyone can hear them. Why is that necessary?"

He added, "I can't throw the phones out the window, so this is the next best thing."

Online jammer seller Victor McCormack said he's made "hundreds of sales" to New Yorkers.

"The interest has gone insane in the last few years. I get all sorts of people buying them, from priests to police officers."

Jammers come in a variety of shapes and sizes, from portable handhelds that look like cellphones to larger, fixed models as big as suitcases.

Their sole goal is to zip inconsiderate lips. The smaller gadgets emit radio frequencies that block signals anywhere from a 50- to 200-foot radius. They range in price from $250 to $2,000.

But don't expect to find jammers at the local Radio Shack they're against Federal Communications Commission regulations because they interfere with emergency calls and the public airwaves. They are illegal to buy, sell, use, import or advertise.

A violation means an $11,000 fine, but the FCC's Enforcement Bureau has yet to bust one person anywhere in the country.

"This is not a crime that they're going after," said Rob Bernstein, deputy editor at New York City-based Sync magazine.

He said jammers are here, and their use is multiplying.

"Right now, there's a growing curiosity about jammers in the United States and New York," Bernstein said. "There's no better way to shut up a loudmouth on the phone, so people definitely want them and are finding ways to get them."

One way is at a spy shop on Third Avenue, which sells medium-sized jammers out of a back room for $1,500. The sales clerk there said he had sold jammers to a 50-year-old man who bought one to use on the Long Island Rail Road, and to restaurateurs.

Folks who run auto auctions also buy them to stop people from chit-chatting about prices and rigging their bids, the clerk said.

An employee at a West Village spy store said the shop also sells jammers, but only to people from other countries.

One local purchaser bought a portable jammer last year, and said he likes using it at Roosevelt Field mall on Long Island.

"One time I followed this guy around for 20 minutes," he said. "I kept zapping him and zapping him, until finally he threw the phone on the floor. I couldn't stop laughing. It was so cool."

Jammers were first developed to help government security forces avert eavesdropping and thwart phone-triggered bombings. But by the late 1990s they were being sold to the public.

There are suspicions that some hotel chains employ jammers to cut down on guests' cellphone use and boost in-room phone charges.

With additional reporting by Lindsay Powers and Marianne Garvey
Old 02-20-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's one thing to use the damn things in movie theaters and some restaurants. Hell, I support that. But to follow someone around and jam their cell phone signals is childish and can be dangerous.
Old 02-20-05, 01:46 PM
Banned

I'll wait til the prices go down before getting one. But then again, who knows what will happen first in San Franfrisko. Frisko might ban cell phone use in public first before I could get my hands on a jammer.
Old 02-20-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait until a cheap car version comes out. Then I'll get one and install it in my car. I'll finally be able to get all those idiots driving in the fast lane off the damn phone!
Old 02-20-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wabio
I can't wait until a cheap car version comes out. Then I'll get one and install it in my car. I'll finally be able to get all those idiots driving in the fast lane off the damn phone!
Only if I can have a jammer to get all those idiots who shake the goddamn road with their bass and think it's so amazing.

Get over yourselves if you think you're so damn important to use one of these.
Old 02-20-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Myster X
I'll wait til the prices go down before getting one. But then again, who knows what will happen first in San Franfrisko. Frisko might ban cell phone use in public first before I could get my hands on a jammer.
If you are waiting for the price to come down, you may also wish to give some consideration to the $11,000 FCC fine if you are caught.
Old 02-20-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand that people using cellphones can be inconsiderate or annoying, but I would never want to jam someone's conversation like some of these people are doing. It just seems like a bad idea, and I hope they start busting people using these jammers.
Old 02-20-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish all movie theaters would install jammers. I can deal with cell phones everywhere else.
Old 02-20-05, 06:23 PM
Banned

cell phone hackers on the loose, too. See the drudgereport.com Paris Hilton link for info.
Old 02-21-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If someone would have jammed the guy's phone in the pizza place he might have avoided that beatdown.
Old 02-21-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is a violation of FCC frequency regs. I think people should be busted on that principle alone. We regulate frequencies for a reason.
Old 02-21-05, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

How the hell would you find a jammer in a crowded mall? Quite difficult if you ask me. Pending legislation of hiring a few more million FCC officers with billions of dollars in equipment, and placing them in very large social gathering where cell phones are, this is going to be an annoyance which will be with us for quite sometime.
Old 02-21-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
If someone would have jammed the guy's phone in the pizza place he might have avoided that beatdown.
Right on, Bro!
Old 02-21-05, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember reading a few months ago that these have been used successfully in Mexican churches for some time now (not illegal in Mexico).
Old 02-21-05, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Interesting.
Old 02-21-05, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

every movie theater in america should have these
Old 02-21-05, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cameron
every movie theater in america should have these

Yes i would much prefer these over those stupid ass best buy "turn your cell phone off" ads
Old 02-21-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have absolutely nothing against a business using jammers, provided that there is information supplied to the customer that jammers are going to be used. But there's no way in hell that people should be able to carry them around.
Old 02-21-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
I have absolutely nothing against a business using jammers, provided that there is information supplied to the customer that jammers are going to be used.
That's they key to this, in my opinion. It's one thing to have a cell-free zone that's jammed if the people entering the area are informed. It's quite another just to jam them. What if a surgeon on call is on one of these buses and someone jams them?
Old 02-21-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice! I want one.
Old 02-21-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Duran
That's they key to this, in my opinion. It's one thing to have a cell-free zone that's jammed if the people entering the area are informed. It's quite another just to jam them. What if a surgeon on call is on one of these buses and someone jams them?
What if, what if... what if.

If a surgeon is using a cell phone to serve the purpose of a pager, then that is his fault. Cell phone service is not guaranteed everywhere. Pager service isn't either, but far more reliable than cell service.

Cutting off reception is no different than deadspots...except for the fact that they are "controlled" deadspots. Establishments like restaurants and theatres should be able to use them without having to plaster signs all over the place that jammers are in use.

An overwhelming majority of people are self-centered and inconsiderate when it comes to cell phone usage. If they weren't, then these jammers wouldn't even be an issue.

And how many of these who are jumping all over these jammers give a big thumbs up to radar detectors and radar jammers?
Old 02-21-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

what about the inconsiderate people that think that they have some right to total peace and quiet everywhere they go. Are they going to start slapping people that talk too loud on the bus?
Old 02-21-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sracer
What if, what if... what if.

If a surgeon is using a cell phone to serve the purpose of a pager, then that is his fault. Cell phone service is not guaranteed everywhere. Pager service isn't either, but far more reliable than cell service.

Cutting off reception is no different than deadspots...except for the fact that they are "controlled" deadspots. Establishments like restaurants and theatres should be able to use them without having to plaster signs all over the place that jammers are in use.

An overwhelming majority of people are self-centered and inconsiderate when it comes to cell phone usage. If they weren't, then these jammers wouldn't even be an issue.

And how many of these who are jumping all over these jammers give a big thumbs up to radar detectors and radar jammers?
You don't think these would jam pagers as well? If a theater or restaurant jams, why wouldn't they tell their customers? I'd frequent a theater that did so.

I'm not for radar detectors or jammers. I fail to see what detectors have to do with this, though, since they are passive.
Old 02-21-05, 10:46 AM

These jammers wouldn't affect pagers?
Old 02-21-05, 11:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
These jammers wouldn't affect pagers?
Yes, they would.

And if use of these things becomes a problem, then they will start taking action. Tracking a jammer down in a crowded mall would be easy with the right equipment. A jammer is broadcasting a powerful signal on a given frequency or range of frequencies. That's how it works. The stronger the signal, the closer you are to the guy sending it.

Establishments like restaurants and theatres should be able to use them without having to plaster signs all over the place that jammers are in use.
No, they shouldn't. Not even counting the fact that this sort of thing is illegal, but if they take actions to block cell phones from working and don't notify the people that they have done so, then they are making themselves liable for lawsuits from issues arising from their actions. Even if they just painted the walls with a metal based paint to block the signal, they are legally liable and open to lawsuits for taking such actions. By notifing the customer, they can get out of a lot of that sort of thing because the customer has to choose to enter their premises knowing that the phone wouldn't work.

Last edited by Otto; 02-21-05 at 11:38 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.