Reload this Page >

What's your pace in art museums?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-19-05, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I just returned from an 8 day London/Paris trip where we blazed through so many tourist sights and museums that it made my head spin (and my feet hurt). I'm not a huge art lover. I do enjoy things like Miro that are playful, but find some of the older religious paintings to be rather dull after more than a couple of dozen viewings (at the same time I do realize how talented the artists were).

How do you approach a visit to a major art museum? If you had all the time in the world, would you spend two days at the Louvre or 2 hours? 10 years ago when I was touring Paris I actually went to the Louvre and d'Orsay in the same day. This time we spent about 4 hours in the Louvre skipping over a few areas, but still... that's a FAST pace. My wife loves art, but even she was starting to tire of all the religious paintings (there are SO many at the Louvre and National Gallery in London that it's overwhelming).
Old 02-19-05, 07:46 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I spent 3-4 hours on many Tuesday afternoons at the Art Institute of Chicago. Been there over 100 times. Never got sick of it. I think 3-4 hours at a time in one museum is a good pace.
Old 02-19-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
How do you approach a visit to a major art museum?
With much yelling, kicking, and screaming as I'm dragged in. Now something real like old railroads, automobiles, and planes, I'm all over that. But pretty pictures, nah, way too boring for me.
Old 02-19-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
I take my time, but my wife will rush through them.
Old 02-19-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tandem
With much yelling, kicking, and screaming as I'm dragged in. Now something real like old railroads, automobiles, and planes, I'm all over that. But pretty pictures, nah, way too boring for me.
That's funny... I don't really need to be taken to an art museum kicking and screaming, but I do like it when there is more than just framed art. The Met in NYC is great for that reason. You can see old armour and mummies AND get a good painting fix.
Old 02-19-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there is this arts museum front of Trafalgur sq, in london. I did that in 10 miunutes in 1995

no wonder I don't remember its name, or what was inside ...
Old 02-19-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nomaan
there is this arts museum front of Trafalgur sq, in london. I did that in 10 miunutes in 1995

no wonder I don't remember its name, or what was inside ...
That's the National Portrait Gallery, and it's a great museum.
Old 02-19-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll usually breeze thru it, unless they have a science/geology/archeology display, then I can spend hours on that one section.
Old 02-19-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One summer, we stayed for two weeks at the Stanhope, right across from the Met. We bought annual passes, and spent several hours each day at the museum -- still not enough time, but what a great way to spend a holiday. My son, who was three at the time, loved it - was never bored, and was absorbed by the art and artifacts and the stories behind them.
Old 02-19-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with namja. 3-4 hours is more than enough for one visit, but more than one visit is also a good thing.
Old 02-19-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Depends on the museum. I'll spend 4 hours or so in most places. Sometimes I can make a day of it...especially if they have a special exhibit in, etc.

-pedagogue
Old 02-19-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At least a few hours, I hate rushing through them. I was at the Met for at least 4 hours with some friends last week who are art majors at Pratt. It's a better experience going with people who don't want to fly through them.
Old 02-19-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Depends on the museum. Some museums could occupy my time for many hours a day over many repeat visits. Others, I may walk through quickly and likely never return. More often than not, though, unless it's just not a good museum, I'll want to spend half a day there and keep coming back.

das
Old 02-19-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just go in, walk around everything really quickly, glancing at the art as I do so. If something really catches my eye, I'll stop and look at it a big longer. I find that's the best way to get at the best art. I dont like to waste too much time inside museums - see what you gotta see and get out. Means you got time to watch more DVDs that day.
Old 02-19-05, 06:18 PM

i spend usually 2 hours... anything more than that hurts my eyes
Old 02-20-05, 01:25 PM

I'd generally think you would want to get out as fast as you could. Wait, are we talking about robbing a museum?
Old 02-20-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm of the opinion that reasonably short visits are better, but not seeing the whole thing in a day. If I was to visit the Louvre, I'd likely do no more than 4 hour stints, but come back and check it out again.

At the end of about 3 - 4 hours museum fatigue sets in for me, and it becomes "check...another painting" rather than appreciating it for what it is.
Old 02-20-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SteveOVig
I'd generally think you would want to get out as fast as you could. Wait, are we talking about robbing a museum?
For those who have the balls ....
Old 02-20-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Warp. Honestly, as fast as possible. Even the Smithsonian natural history museum was too much for me after 3 or 4 hours, and I'm really interested in that stuff. To be honest, I'm not really able to focus on anything for more than a few hours without getting fidgity.