Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Who Here is into Filmaking?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-18-05, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting pretty deep into filmaking. I'm almost done with my first true screenplay, and I've already got some people lined up for roles/borrowing of equipment. Its a pretty grueling process, however, as you must be sure everything is perfect before you actually begin filming. However, it still is a helluva lot of fun to make films with your friends =)

So I'm just wondering, does anyone else share my deep love for filmaking? Or are you just the kinda people who watch them and buy em on DVD ?
Old 02-18-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm currently in film school, but that's mainly because I suck at math.
Old 02-18-05, 09:01 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i don't know any other filmmakers on this board other than myself. I share you love and enthusiasm for the medium. I finished a feature late last year called Blue in Green that has been picking up a few good notices. I work in motion picture advertising cutting trailers and tv spots to pay the bills, but my heart belongs to the cinema.
Old 02-18-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Hey, aslong as yours is better than that one crappy short that was posted here some time ago, you got my support.

currently below the line and I must be one of the few who doesnt aspire to become a director or actor, but I'm very excited when it comes to filming productions.
Old 02-18-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a screenwriter.
Old 02-18-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love it - I shot my first short last May, and the second back in November(both ~20 minutes). Aside from directing and producing, I really enjoy editing, which my professor and classmates say I'm very good at.
I can't stand watching the first one, because there are so many things I could do better now. However, since it is my first work and everyone who has seen it has loved it, I'm leaving it as is. It did show at a local film festival, and received a great response from the viewers.
The second one was very problematic to film for various reasons, so I'm reshooting the entire film beginning in late April(since I'll have free time upon graduation), then sending out to film festivals. The current cut is enjoyable, but I'm dissatisfied with all the changes I had to make. I did film a completely original death scene which is what everyone talked about, and it will be even better in the final cut.
I'm currently working on a television pilot script that my professor will help to get out there(he has plenty of connections, having been in the biz for over 30 years). I'm not holding my breath on that, but a friend of mine is also writing a pilot and she has already had calls from producers who wanted it, so we expect to see her show on TV one of these days.
Sometime this summer I will shoot a Friday the 13th fan film, and either a comedy I've been working on, or some projects my friends want me to direct. I'm planning on my first feature for next year, but I need to build up a good bit of money before I start on it, and still need to get my own editing setup.
I'm going to be setting up my website soon, and it will have my movies available on there for download.
Old 02-18-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't need no fancy schooling for my special brand of picture taking.
Old 02-19-05, 01:41 AM

I've <a href=http://dude.bebopboard.net/tokugawa/>been making my own movies for fun</a> since middle school. I recently finished my 10th movie. (NWS "adult" joke trailer <a href=http://fayevalentine.net/duo/filmography/trailer2.mp4>here</a>.)

I love making movies (writing, filming, directing, acting, and editing), and would love to do bigger movies in the future, but I need better equipment and a larger budget. I'd love more than anything else to work in the industry as a day job, but there's not much work in that field where I live.
Old 02-19-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by filmerp
I'm currently in film school, but that's mainly because I suck at math.
You = Hero.
Old 02-19-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
I don't need no fancy schooling for my special brand of picture taking.
No "shit"
Old 02-19-05, 10:24 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Like Duder I'm into filmmaking at a strictly amateur level (although of course I would like more). I've done a few shorts, and I've written a few screenplays I've entered into Project Greenlight 2 & 3 (which made the top 250 and top 100 respectively ). Right now I'm working on a short for the next Fangoria Blood Drive contest. I mainly do it because I just love the process, althogh it usually takes a contest of some sort to motivate me into getting something done. I like to work under a deadline, apparently.
Old 02-19-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i'm a screenwriter, too.

oh, and i learned more about making films from reading books than i did in four years of film school. thank goodness i double-majored.
Old 02-19-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
No "shit"

Good one
Old 02-19-05, 01:22 PM

wow im not rearly at the level some of you guys are. but im gettin' there
Old 02-21-05, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard
i'm a screenwriter, too.

oh, and i learned more about making films from reading books than i did in four years of film school. thank goodness i double-majored.
Can u recommend some good books for us unschooled?
Old 02-21-05, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Editor & Writer here (who subs as Producer for the most part).

Been writing for quite awhile but never really produced anything before last year (I make my living as an Editor). Had a major connection to get a Short made which fell through. My partner and I decided to do the Short anyways and ended up winning a good chunk of awards from different festivals around the world.

Heck, the second festival to accept our Short was Cannes. Cannes! Not in my life did I ever believe I'd have something shown at Cannes.

Now we're falling into the "what do we do next?" scenerio. A lot of these festivals are calling/writing back asking "What have you been working on and can we premiere it?" To which our answer is "I dunno."

Click my linky for more info on the Short (if interested).

Andrew
Old 02-21-05, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was into it and aspiring, but it became too expensive and I had to drop all of my 'hobbies' to take care of a family member. I'd love to get into it again.
Old 02-21-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm working on parts 3 and 4 of a five part film series that I shot over the last year. The first two are on DVD now with the next three to follow in the next few months. Link is in my sig -- there's a trailer there for a bit more info.

I'm running out the door right now to lay down some music for a soundtrack -- but I'll post more later. Where are you located MasterShake?
Old 02-21-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Aspiring screenwriter. I'm about halfway through the first draft (a drama, along the lines of American Beauty) so I obviously have a long way to go. Not sure how far I'll get, since I won't be moving to L.A. anytime soon.

Thumbs up to the poster who placed so high in the Project Greenlight contests. Any idea if they will try a fourth?
Old 02-21-05, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by QuAcKeR
I'm working on parts 3 and 4 of a five part film series that I shot over the last year. The first two are on DVD now with the next three to follow in the next few months. Link is in my sig -- there's a trailer there for a bit more info.

I'm running out the door right now to lay down some music for a soundtrack -- but I'll post more later. Where are you located MasterShake?
Cool. You sell alot of DVDs?

And do you mean like my address or where I am in the script?
Old 02-21-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1720825/. I was working in post production advertising before that, since 1999. And also working on scripts and helping friends develop their own stuff.
Old 02-21-05, 12:24 PM

Since people are posting their projects, either old or new, i guess I'll do the same:

The Minutemen: Two low-rent thugs decide to pull one last score, a large, dangerous heist of a downtown Hollywood bank. However, when things take a turn for the worst, they are thrown into the middle of a violent, bloody battle with the cops.

Prey: When his brother, an undercover DEA agent, is killed by ruthless gangsters in Los Angeles, a former NYPD agent turned hitman decides to take the crew down one by one. However, when a street-wise detective begins to peice together the bloody puzzle, he soon realizes that the hitman has more to lose than he thinks.
Old 02-21-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes....I have done things...won't post them here....love working on this stuff....anyone in middle america looking for help, I'm always looking for something to work on

For Dutin

books that I found interesting
First Time Director: how to make your breakthrough movie- gil bettman
Make your own damn movie-Lloyd Kaufman
All I need to know about filmaking I learned from the Toxic Avenger-Lloyd Kaufman

Bettman's book is a great read, with good walk throughs and some basic movies you can look over easily on dvd...he plays up to Zemeckis alot, but its a good look

Lloyd's books are funny and informative. He explains a lot of low rent ways around production. Simple logistics, and he also can teach you how to explode a head...funny stuff, and an easy read....he also has a dvd box set coming out to go with these
Old 02-21-05, 12:48 PM
Banned by request

I went to the North Carolina School of the Arts for film for a year and a half. I can walk onto any film set, and do just about anything, from grip work to sound mixing, boom operating to cinematography. I've written several scripts, including one I'm working on now with WhoGirl that we're planning to turn into a feature fairly soon.
Old 02-21-05, 12:48 PM

sweet!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.