Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Poll: Does college make that much of a difference?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Which candidate do you choose?
3.5 GPA similar field
14.29%
3.0 GPA exact field
35.71%
2 years school, no degree, 12 years experience
45.24%
Twikoff will never hire me
4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-05, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really didn't know what to title this thread, so on to the question.

You have several resumes to choose from ... the canditates are:

1) Fresh out of college, 3.5 GPA with a degree from an average school. The course of study is the position you are hiring for.

2) Again fresh out of college...a 3.0 from a very good school. Course of study is similar to the position you are hiring for.

3) 2 years worth of college credits, 12 years actual experience in a position that very much relates to the position you are hiring for.

Would you consider calling #3 for an interview even though your listing says college is required or does the experience make up for it?

In case you haven't guessed yet.....#3 is me.
Old 02-18-05, 01:41 AM
X
Administrator

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Depends on the job.

Finishing college is often considered a benchmark and should be achieved in the "cheap" years of one's adulthood.
Old 02-18-05, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would probably hire #3, and my second choice would be #2. And I think the years of a 4-year degree being worth much have long passed. Unless one needs the experience to continue their maturation process around other, like-minded, individuals.

The primary reasons that I see for undergrad college is to get into graduate school and to develop friendships that may someday provide networking opportunities in professional life.
Old 02-18-05, 03:23 AM
ams

The point of college is not the piece of paper. To me, it shows that the applicant has enough drive to complete something that can be difficult at times. It is like excercise for the brain...it is not necessarily what you learn, as it is the fact that you had to spend 4+ years studying and working hard for something like a college degree.
Old 02-18-05, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ams
The point of college is not the piece of paper. To me, it shows that the applicant has enough drive to complete something that can be difficult at times. It is like excercise for the brain...it is not necessarily what you learn, as it is the fact that you had to spend 4+ years studying and working hard for something like a college degree.
I'm gonna have to disagree somewhat, to me ti's more desirable to see someone put in many years at a regular job.

then again I have somewhat of an F You frame of mind towards cooperate America.
Old 02-18-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
12 years of experience trumps any sheepskin. Of course, I base my hiring recommendations on the interview and performance exercise, and the experienced individual will ace these. Then again, it really does depend on the position offered. In my department we need people who know and can perform the job tasks, not just understand the theory. Now, sheepskin AND experience, that's nice.
Old 02-18-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I hire people who exhibit attention to detail. The exact/similar field descriptions are reversed between your poll and your text.

You don't mention the field, so I can't tell whether the degree is really necessary. I was an engineering manager and hired engineers. Although people claimed to have "equivalent experience," it is not a field you can just "pick up." They could certainly do some of the duties, in some cases very well, but they couldn't do all duties as well as someone who had the college courses and did well in them. In other fields, the degree isn't that important and people skills are evrything, so YMMV.
Old 02-18-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Depends on the field and the position description. If it is an entry-level position, I'd prefer the college grads, as they should have the knowledge and will probably still feel challenged. If someone had 12 years of experience, I wouldn't consider them "entry-level'.

A closer comparison would be someone with 12 years of experience vs. a college degree and like 4 years experience.

The 2 years of college credit wouldn't make any difference to me. The fact that the person took college classes is balanced by the fact that they didn't finish their degree.
Old 02-18-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

#2 --- better school makes up for the lower GPA, and degree is in the exact field.
Old 02-18-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd hire the one not listed. The person with the college degree and experience.
Old 02-18-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It all depends on the field.
Old 02-18-05, 09:00 AM

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
I work for a university (where letters after your name are therefore considered important), and the HR policy here is that 12 years of experience in a specific field is worth more than a Ph.D. in that field. What does that tell you?
Old 02-18-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
What does that tell you?
That Ohio State University is nothing more than a degree factory.

Old 02-18-05, 09:10 AM

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.
That Ohio State University is nothing more than a degree factory.
That's <i><b>The</i></b> Ohio State University to you, fella.

Old 02-18-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was wondering how long it would take you to point that out.
Old 02-18-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Go Buckeyes
Old 02-18-05, 09:35 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

I had very little college and worked my way up in my field. I make a pretty decent living and actually have had a great experience working my way up paying my dues in other jobs (sure for less pay than a graduate) but learning a LOT on my way.

Ive applied for jobs that require a college degree lots of times. Screw them and their credentials; I have a portfolio that makes them all drool. I go to every interview with confidence in my experience, not my paperwork.
Old 02-18-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
that "twikoff will never hire me" option includes anyone without a college degree
Old 02-18-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CRM114
I'd hire the one not listed. The person with the college degree and experience.
exactly
there are plenty of candidates with degrees
there are plenty of candidates with experience
there are plenty with both

its not a hard choice.. but the degree is a minimum requirement
Old 02-18-05, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
...then again I have somewhat of an F You frame of mind towards cooperate America.
In my (limited) experience, I find this to be the sentiment held by many who have chosen not to go to college, or have not finished his/her degree.
Old 02-18-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a ton of non-work-related experience in my field, but without a degree, I would have never been able to demonstrate it. I'm working a well-paying job in a field I'm interested in while my friends who didn't go to college or dropped out are working retail, etc.

In your case, though, so long as your skills are commensurate with 12 years of experience, you should get a call back.
Old 02-18-05, 11:27 AM
X
Administrator

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Keep in mind companies often start people at the bottom and promote from within. If a qualification for higher-level jobs is a college degree they have less incentive to hire someone who will never rise above that job and will ultimately bail on them.
Old 02-18-05, 11:58 AM

Besides straight knowledge, college also affects how one thinks/reasons/etc. I know some of that has to do with maturity, experience, and other factors, but I know that I am a much different person now (from an intellectual sense) than I was 6 years ago.
Old 02-18-05, 12:42 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Sure, critical thinking is taught indirectly in college. Also you can learn good study and research skills. However, a college degree is not an absolute measure that anyone actually learned anything. I know salesmen who have degrees from some nice colleges but just last week in a discussion one of them had to ask what 'fecal matter' is. Salesmen who also make 6 figures easy.

Lots of morons graduate from college. Hopefully whoevers hiring you will know this--If they dont, you probably dont want to work there anyway. A 'college degree' as a requirement is really only vital in a medical or some specialty careers. If you can sell yourself based on experience, NO good hiring manager will turn away an interview.

I get tired of hearing people I know whining that they cant get a (good) job-- people with degrees. The same people who are envious of what I have. I also get sick to my stomach seeing single mothers/people struggling financially being told 'get into college!' because theres a magic rainbow at the end of it to give them a job averaging '10,000 more per year than a non graduate'.

If college works for you then good, but I hate seeing it prescribed as a cure-all for your financial life.
Old 02-18-05, 01:51 PM

it also depends on the salary the company wants to pay the person and whether or not they want someone with experience.

They would have to pay the #3 person more to do the job because he has 12years of experience and they know he would expect more.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.