Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Is "Sorry" really the hardest word? & What's the purpose of bad memories?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-17-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this earlier and deleted it after just a couple minutes, but what the heck? I have no reputation worth saving here anyway, so I thought why not? Here it is, once again:

(I'm in no way an authority on anything, and this is not exhaustive in any way (except boring or whatnot), but I shall do my best in explaining what I understand on these subjects and look forward to see what you know about them.)

I've heard the word "sorry" used & abused so much in my life, it just doesn't mean anything anymore.

Some people use it like it's some kinda "free card" to get out of trouble or something like that. Make a mistake, say your sorry, and that's-that! When we all (or at least some of you out there) know that's usually not the case...and it most likely will take more than that to actually repair whatever damage has been done.

I was taught that action speaks louder than words, and taking proper action to correct a wrong or make amends (whenever possible) rather than just saying the words "I'm sorry" and leaving it at that, is not only right, but it's the most effective and permanent thing to do.

I would think "regret" would be the hardest one for me.

That one word conjures up a whirlwind of sad & or bad memories that I'd gladly rather just forget or deny if I could, but for one reason or another, and no matter how hard I've tried in my life, I never could effectively Bullcorn myself or other people, and would make one lousy salesman.

As far as the reason and or purpose behind the bad & or sad memories, I've come to understand that they are "reminders" saved in my memory banks and they (for the most part) actually do have a positive purpose in that they are there to protect me from repeating the same mistakes over & over again.

Depending on the cause of a sad or bad memory, uncomfortable reoccurring ones that I don't totally understand right now, will fade in time once I've boldly faced them, and the lesson connected with it is truly learned (like others I've had in my past).

Once addressed, they will in fact fade and go into a harmless place, where pain is no longer associated with the thought.

What's your hardest word? What's your experience with bad memories & how have you dealt with them?

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 02-17-05 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-17-05, 07:44 PM
X
Administrator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
You were right about the place of some threads the first time.

(Perhaps you don't recognize where that came from. From your first attempt at this thread that you deleted when it wasn't going your way...)

Originally Posted by The Edit King
Some threads have no place on this earth.

This one is going in

Old 02-17-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks X.

Always the voice of encouragement!

Just how big is that hair you're suffering with?

Last edited by The Edit King; 02-17-05 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-17-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW: You've got the worst spirit of anyone here.

I should consider the source.

You're living up to your reputation.

Last edited by The Edit King; 02-17-05 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-17-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Well, THEEK, I don't say I'm sorry unless I mean it, of course if someone forces me to say it, sure, I'll let them have it.

I once had some guest check out while I was at the front desk and he was just being a major asshole. "Don't get smart with me." "Would you rather I be stupid with you and not do my job correctly?" "I could have your job." "Then you could check yourself out." "I want an apology from you right now." So I looked straight at him, and said in the most flippant way I could, "I'm sorry you're such an asshole."
Old 02-17-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

&

Thanks for the illumination, DH!

I suppose "sorry" still has it's place afterall!
Old 02-17-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seriously, the hardest word for me to get out is more like a phrase...

"I need help"

To me, it's like admitting failure, defeat...even if it doesn't mean that to others...it's a foolish pride thing I guess.
Old 02-17-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know EXACTLY what you mean, T...

...and I believe it is a pride thing.

From one dude to another, and as a man, I feel it. It's like we've been typecast in a way that if we ever need help, it's seen as a weakness or whatnot, but everyone, no matter what sex we are, sometime in our life need help.

You may have heard it said, "No man is an island", well, we're not meant to live alone. We need eachother, some more than others. And besides, it's not a weakness to me. As a matter of fact, it's a test of strength.

If a guy is doing his best and for one reason or another hits head-on with a serious trial that he can't handle alone (and really, truly, desperately needs a helping hand), asking for help can be harder & more painful than the trial itself! It's something I've come to respect in a way knowing first hand (from my own personal experience) exactly what it costs and how hard it really is to actually reach out and ask someone for help in the first place. Without experiences like that, I would have never truly known what real mercy was. Now I'm fully equipped and able to give to others what I myself received!

Mercy is an incredible, awesome, supernatural, wonderful gift, and nomatter who we are, or what we do, we all at some point or another will need it!

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 02-18-05 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-17-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Depends on whether you mean it or not. Sometimes saying sorry is meant to say "I was wrong, and I accept responsibility" - other times it's "I couldn't be bothered to sit here and argue, so I will apologise...although I don't really mean it. Are you happy now?"

The first one is - and should be - difficult to say. The second one is very easy and it acts as a social placating mechanism. Both sides know that you don't mean it, but it disarms people very easy and if they are apologised to, there is little comeback they have.

Of course, if I were Devilshalo's customer (and if I was a real arsehole), I would have reported the "apology" to the boss. I think he was probably lucky that the arsehold didn't escalate it
Old 02-17-05, 09:28 PM

It's a sad, sad situation,

And it's getting more and more absurd...
Old 02-17-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The hardest thing for me to say is "no". I hate telling people no when they ask for help, need money, need a ride, need a sitter, whatever. I'm horrible at telling people no....unless it's my husband and he wants some "action".
Old 02-18-05, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The Edit King
&

Thanks for the illumination, DH!

I suppose "sorry" still has it's place afterall!

i had to look twice at the DH you put there. i always thougt it was devil shalo. not that i know what a devil shalo is. devils halo makes much more sense. . you'll have to excuse your friend, he's a little slow.
Old 02-18-05, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by naughty jonny
Of course, if I were Devilshalo's customer (and if I was a real arsehole), I would have reported the "apology" to the boss. I think he was probably lucky that the arsehold didn't escalate it
I told the guest to go ahead and file a complaint. I'll even get the manager. I was prepared to be fired since I'd then take him out to the parking lot, remove my coat and name tag then proceed to beat the shit out of him. He declined and left in a huff. He started off the day in a bad mood and tried to bait me into sharing his misery. I wasn't biting. And everything I said up to my 'apology' was done with a big fat shit-eating grin.

I've had many times in retail/service industry where someone told me how to do my job. I told myself a long time ago that no job was worth it to be subserviant to a fucking retard. So I fire right back with, "go right ahead and do it yourself." At that point, they shut the hell up.
Old 02-18-05, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey, more often than not, not biting actually hurts them more than biting. Sometimes these people are just AFTER the reaction, and when you take away that, you take away their power...and then what they gonna do?
Old 02-18-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
He started off the day in a bad mood and tried to bait me into sharing his misery.
Well said, DH (or DS)! &

Confrontation is something I've been getting a lot of extra pratice with lately, as living out here in L.A. the problematic attitudes of people are heating up more & more.

...but to my embarrassment, and not unlike the low-brow, base nature, Neanderthal fishing arsehole of which you speak (...and that's arsehole, not "ar-sehole" for, costanza... ), I too (more times than I'd like to admit) act like a hungry fish and usually take the bait...especially while I'm driving.

KINGSIZED THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 02-18-05 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-18-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I find foreign words with rolled "R"s to be the hardest. I can't roll my "R"s, they come out sounding like "L"s.
Old 02-18-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

&

How about with the Hebrew language when you have to do that all that loogie "HHHHHHGGGGG..." stuff...

THEEKSTEIN!

Last edited by The Edit King; 02-18-05 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-18-05, 02:19 PM
Banned by request

I find the hardest word to say is "chastity." It just leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 02-18-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I find the hardest word to say is "chastity." She just leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.
EWWW...I'll take your word for it!

&

THEEKBONO

Last edited by The Edit King; 02-18-05 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-18-05, 02:53 PM
Banned by request

Nice one!
Old 02-18-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, well, you know...even a broken clock is right twice a day!