Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Does your dog eat poo? A matter of life and death, I need serious answers only!!!!!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics
View Poll Results: dog the poo eater?
yes
48.65%
no
24.32%
no dog
13.51%
my dog eat twikoff which is even worse than poo
8.11%
this is the nastiest thread in ottervile history!!!!!!!!!!
5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Does your dog eat poo? A matter of life and death, I need serious answers only!!!!!

Old 02-17-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no dog

but my dad used to have a black lab that ate poo

Last edited by Bacon; 02-17-05 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-17-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See this is why cats are the best - they don't eat poo.
Old 02-17-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i don't have a dog so no.
when i was a kid though we had a dog. one day i took a shit in the backyard for whatever reason, i was three, and the dog came over after i was done and cleaned up my mess. good doggy.
Old 02-17-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes. I started a thread with pix about my dog eating the poo of my child and it was deleted. Hopefully your thread will live on to inspire the countless thousands!

BTW, if anyone is interested my dog also eats his puke after a good purge. That way he enjoys his favorite meals twice. I have pix if anyone wants to see them.
Old 02-17-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
No pictures, please!

I caught my dog eating poo a few times, and it was hard to let him near me for a few days afterward! I clean up his bombs daily so there's less temptation for him. He's out of his puppyhood, so I'm hoping I don't ever ever catch him doing it again.

Why is this a life and death matter??
Old 02-17-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when you get enough serious responses.. would someone PLEASE email me, so I can come in and make some jokes

kthxbye
Old 02-17-05, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
My dog ate poo. The kitty litter box was her favorite buffet, and once, she found a big turd in our yard and ran around with it in her mouth like it was a bone.

Sadly, she passed away last month, but she was a very special poop eater.
Old 02-17-05, 08:51 PM
Premium Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
I have 3 dogs, all the same breed.

1 does sometimes. The other 2 do not.
Old 02-17-05, 09:05 PM

Pics?
Old 02-17-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
our dog eats Kitty poo.
Old 02-17-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have a dog, but it's common for dogs to eat poo and vomit and garbage and whatever else they can fit in their mouth that stinks.
Old 02-17-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts
when i was a kid though we had a dog. one day i took a shit in the backyard for whatever reason, i was three, and the dog came over after i was done and cleaned up my mess. good doggy.
Was his tongue cold?
Old 02-17-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Our dog went through a poo eating phase. Added canned pumpkin to her dog food for a couple of weeks and that cured her of it. Somehow the pumpkin makes the shyte less appetizing.
Old 02-17-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tommyp007
our dog eats Kitty poo.
Bingo...sometimes our Dasch/Chia will eat some cat crap...just pick it up, rinse it around the mouth, and spit it out...it's quite attractive.
Old 02-18-05, 12:24 AM

my bassett hound drinks her own pee, right after she pisses too
Old 02-18-05, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, my black lab has been known to eat poo.

Deep down I'm thinking it's because she doesn't want me to know she went in the kitchen (again). But, then I realize she's eating poo and could care less what I think.
Old 02-18-05, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, once in a while he does. But only frozen tird-cicles.
Old 02-18-05, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

nope... never has
Old 02-18-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Dogs lespecially looove cat shit. There's something in it that they love. Anyway, what we're talkin' about here in Coprophagy. I hear putting Spinich in your dog's food makes the shit taste bad to them.

Some info from a SPCA site

DOGS WITH POTTY MOUTH

Every year I receive several letters from owner/guardians who are appalled to find that their dogs are eating their own feces, or that of other dogs or cats. This behavior is known as coprophagy, from the Greek copro, which means 'feces', and phagy which means 'eat'. Coprophagy is rarely seen in cats, but is quite common in dogs, especially those who are very food-motivated. Many dog owner/guardians find this a completely unacceptable habit, and overall, it's not good for the dog either because of the risk of ingesting parasites.
<b>Some experts are of the opinion that coprophagy is an instinctual behavior. Wolves and coyotes may often eat feces when food is not readily available, or may be trying to replenish their supply of vitamin B by eating the feces of herbivores, such as deer and rabbits. However, dogs do not generally eat feces because they have a dietary deficiency, although, some medical problems may give rise to coprophagy - severe disorders of the pancreas or intestine, starvation, or severe malnutrition caused by a serious parasitic infestation.

Some behavioral experts believe coprophagy may arise in dogs suffering from stress and anxiety. There has also been a suggestion that when dogs are punished for defecating inappropriately, some of them come to associate defecation with bad behavior, and try to hide the evidence by eating it. Coprophagy may also be a learned behavior, or one that begins as play, when puppies mouth and chew on many objects as they explore their world. However, once eating feces has become a habit, and if dogs enjoy it, it's not easy to change so it's important to stop it before it becomes entrenched.</b>

The best way to prevent the problem is to keep your dog's area free of stool by scooping the poop immediately. Give him lots of activity and exercise, but when you take him for a walk, keep him leashed at all times. Some dogs may also need to wear a cage muzzle, (but always supervise a muzzled dog). And make sure your dog doesn't have access to a cat's litter box.

There are also products that can be added to the food of the animal whose feces are being eaten (if your dog is eating his own stool, add it to his food). The product is digested and gives the feces a bad taste (ask your vet for advice about this). Alternatively, you can try sprinkling Tabasco sauce or chili powder on the feces itself, although some dogs don't seem to mind the spicy flavor. Your dog may need increased stimulation so that eating feces loses its appeal. Give him plenty of chew toys, including Kongs stuffed with wet food, cream cheese or peanut better, mixed with kibble, to keep him busy and energized.

Stopping coprophagy may require help from an animal behaviorist. Your vet may also prescribe medication if the habit becomes obsessive-compulsive. And because dogs who eat the stool of cats or other dogs run the risk of being repeatedly infected with various parasites, they should also have a regular fecal examination.

It is important not to punish your dog for eating feces. Some dogs can interpret a negative reaction as "attention", and the behavior may be reinforced. Patience and understanding will help get him out of this deep doo doo.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-18-05 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-18-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by tasha99
My dog ate poo. The kitty litter box was her favorite buffet, and once, she found a big turd in our yard and ran around with it in her mouth like it was a bone.
i had an ex girlfriend that did that
Old 02-18-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My dog does, mostly in winter. Apparently frozen poo is the best. I tried adding "Accent" meat tenderizer to his food, but that just gave him gas, which is more bothersome than the poo eating. I also bought the pills from Petco, and those seemed to help, when he was taking the pills, but those are expensive.

I am thinking about putting Taco Bell fire sauce on the piles, but I think it would only make the poop tastier.
Old 02-18-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dogs are stupid
Old 02-18-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

only if he gets to it before me.
Old 02-18-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My dog is quite fond of Kitty Roca.
Old 02-18-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Kitty Roca???

Heck! I'm an EYE WITNESS!!!

I knew I guy once that had a dog that ate cat poo and he used to get mad about it and yell at the dog and then grab it, and with his fingers he would pick the cat poo out of the dog's mouth!

puddy-cat poodie breath & or fingers

THEEK INDEED!

Last edited by The Edit King; 02-18-05 at 11:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.