Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Pot Odds calculating Poker Software? (Tracker, Office, etc)?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-17-05, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do any of the products like Poker Tracker that hook into various card rooms offer on the go pot odds calculation?
Old 02-17-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have both Tracker and Office and I don't think so, at least haven't seen it yet.
Old 02-18-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think this is what you're looking for.
Old 02-18-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wizdar
I think this is what you're looking for.

Does the Texas Calculatem really do pot odds? I thought it only gave you percentages that you'll get a particular hand. Obviously that is a major part of pot odds, but does the Calculatem also account for the pot and the bet and do all the math for you?
Old 02-18-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No. What, do you want fries with that?

I seriously doubt that is possible, at least as far as a program the public could get their hands on is concerned. In order to do that, it would have to know what is in the pot and what the cost to call is. This would require a direct interface with the poker program.

Itíll give you an at-a-glance check on how many outs you have. Quick, youíve got Qh Ks and the board is Jh Kc Kh Th Ė how many outs do you have?

Spoiler:
25. WOW!!

Click for screenshot -- I can't hotlink.

One of the things this is lacking, is the suck-out percentage. The hand shown in the example is a sure winner. But we all know a blank will come at the river and itíll lose to 5c 2h.

I havenít used the program, but Iím thinking of giving it a shot this weekend.
Old 02-18-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here's a piece of unsolicited advice - if you don't have at least an intuitive sense for what the pot odds and implied odds are, don't get a piece of sofware to tell you. Learn instead.

If you need a computer to tell you, that suggests that you don't have a firm enough grasp of the game to be playing for real money.
Old 02-18-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mgbfan
Here's a piece of unsolicited advice - if you don't have at least an intuitive sense for what the pot odds and implied odds are, don't get a piece of sofware to tell you. Learn instead.

If you need a computer to tell you, that suggests that you don't have a firm enough grasp of the game to be playing for real money.
I would agree with that. You don't have to get the exact numbers, but you need to figure out the basic pot odds for a call etc... and the only way to do that is to learn it yourself. A nice rough estimate is 2% per out per card remaining (ie, you'll complete your straight draw (8 outs) 32% percent of the time post-flop if you play it to the river; pair either hole card (6 outs) 24% of the time after the flop if you play it to the river; flop a set with a pocket pair 10% of the time).

you'd be surprised how quickly you can learn the skill once you take the initiative to do it.
Old 02-18-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And once you learn that, then theres implicit outs, which reduces your # of outs!
Old 02-18-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mgbfan

Everybody who is incapable of instantly figuring pot odds must immediately cease playing money games! While weíre at it, if thereís an option to turn off the total amount of money in a pot, you must uncheck it or you will be unworthy.

Itís always black and white Ė never any grey or green or mauve.

While I agree in principal, I completely disagree with the implication. For those who canít be bothered reading previous posts: the program does not figure pot odds. It tells you how many outs you have, without which your calculations are useless. There may be some who can pick this up very quickly; others will require more time. I, for one, canít instantly pull a number outta my ass with a complex hand. But I can always call time at a live game.

But time is something you donít have a whole lot of with internet poker.

This can be a useful tool for developing the ability to assess your hand. Or not. It can become a crutch. Or not. It can be useful for recreational users who donít take the online game seriously to maybe give them an edge. Or not.

In fact, if it does give you an edge youíre a farking idiot to not take advantage of it, regardless of your ability. Condescending attitudes notwithstanding.
Old 02-18-05, 05:07 PM

Everybody who is incapable of instantly figuring pot odds must immediately cease playing money games!
That's a strawman and I think you know it, Wiz. I merely told him that he needed to have a sense for it. Nobody said anything about exact or instant calculations.
Itís always black and white Ė never any grey or green or mauve.
It doesn't look so bad when you actually read what people wrote before going off on a tangental rant that damns their statement far beyond what was actually said.
the program does not figure pot odds. It tells you how many outs you have,
And again, I would contend that a player who doesn't know how to count his outs probably is better off at a play money game. He's going to lose. That's pretty basic poker. Counting outs is just a fundamental part of the game. I wouldn't expect someone to play chess for money if he didn't know what the little horsey does.
In fact, if it does give you an edge youíre a farking idiot to not take advantage of it,
The problem is ... if it does give you an "edge," it means you were pretty awful to start with. A starting pitcher in basebell who doesn't know how to throw a breaking ball isn't going to fare very well. There are fundamentals to every game that one really ought to have down, and the ability to know your outs is most certianly one of them in poker.

Now ... if you wanted to talk about some help with a stud game, tracking dead cards, that'd be another matter.
Old 02-18-05, 05:13 PM
Suspended

A starting pitcher in basebell who doesn't know how to throw a breaking ball isn't going to fare very well
Tell that to Randy Johnson. There are exceptions to every rule. I am not as good at odds and calculating outs as I could be, but I have still managed to build my bankroll 10x. I am still what I call a novice player, but I am doing well enough to not stick to "play money".
Old 02-19-05, 01:05 PM

I'll bet you're selling yourself short, gimme. If you're winning, you must have a good idea of what you're drawing to and the liklihood of hitting it. Either that or you're tremendously lucky.

Like I said, you don't necessarily need to know the precise numbers (though it helps). You just need a sense of when you're getting the odds you need to call. If you're up 10x, I'll all but gaurentee you have at least an intuitive, if not mathmatical, sense of that.