DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   UPDATE: My friend did not get fired, and some info. corrections (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/410255-update-my-friend-did-not-get-fired-some-info-corrections.html)

Dr. DVD 02-17-05 03:27 PM

UPDATE: My friend did not get fired, and some info. corrections

Here is the original topic

For those interested, my friend did not get fired from his job, and he apparently didn't make the comment about a "fatass" to a manager but another co-worker. However, the manager who suspended him that night was a large female worker who apparently took him belittling an overweight co-worker as an indirect insult to herself.
The main manager didn't see anything wrong with what my friend said and thought the other manager was overreacting. While I am glad my friend didn't lose his job, it really makes me wonder about how much crap is tolerated in a restaraunt environment.

Supermallet 02-17-05 03:34 PM

"How much crap is tolerated" is different for every workplace. It all depends on how sensitive they are to harrassment issues and lawsuits. The place where I work is pretty tolerant of people joking around, for instance. Just yesterday a guy called a female co-worker "hot cheeks" and something else. He even did it in front of our HR lady. But we knew he was joking around, so he's not going to get in trouble. At some places, you would get in trouble just for the joke.

cdollaz 02-17-05 03:40 PM

It varies depending on the workplace, but at my company (biomedical industry), if you called another employee a "fatass", you would probably lose some respect from your fellow employees.

einTier 02-17-05 03:43 PM

Tons of 'crap' is tolerated in the restaurant business.

It's a stressful job and the typical staff isn't exactly known for being on an even keel. Sexual harrassment is extremely common, and if you don't have a thick enough skin to handle the periodical very personal insult, then you shouldn't be in the business. End of story.

Dr. DVD 02-17-05 03:49 PM

einTier: where were you last week when everyone said my friend should have been fired and run out of town on a rail?

kvrdave 02-17-05 03:53 PM

Well, I can finally get some sleep :)

dick_grayson 02-17-05 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave

beat me to it

Red Dog 02-17-05 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
einTier: where were you last week when everyone said my friend should have been fired and run out of town on a rail?

Call me crazy, but that was probably because he claimed he was a 'victim.' I don't think playing the innocent victim card served him very well to this crowd. :lol:

Minor Threat 02-17-05 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave

ditto.....

mikehunt 02-17-05 07:48 PM

well, they tolerated him calling another employee a fatass
the employee in question probably is fat, but you don't say stuff like that to co-workers
it's called "hostile work environment" and will get you fired or sued if you're not lucky

Dr. DVD 02-17-05 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
well, they tolerated him calling another employee a fatass
the employee in question probably is fat, but you don't say stuff like that to co-workers
it's called "hostile work environment" and will get you fired or sued if you're not lucky

And I guess other things get you suspended? ;)

Interesting how some people say a restaraunt environment should not be hostile and others call it as a "if you can't take the heat, you better stay out of the kitchen" (no literal meaning intended) type job.
My friend works in Nashville and he says that a lot of the people who work in said area are trying to break into the music business in some way or another. My guess is that many are having a rough time and the fact that they are still only waiting tables gives them a short temper.