Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Home Depot: Where Have All The Knowledgable People Gone?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-16-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at Home Depot night before last, and I'm looking for a small heater. I noticed there were a lot to choose from online, so I figured there had to be a section for them. I see an endcap with heaters, and one is on sale for $10 so I said, hey I can't beat that. I proceed to go up to the customer service counter to ask if there is another section for heaters because the endcap didn't have much, and there are THREE people up there. I get right up to the counter, and TWO just wander off (one of them actually looked straight at me). I asked the third guy who was still there (who was actually busy doing something else and appeared to be working), if there were any other areas where heaters were. "Nope. That's it."

Something told me that wasn't the case, so I went down the aisle of where the heaters were on the endcap. Wouldn't you know....more heaters. I stuck with my $10 clearanced heater regardless, but what gives?

I've been to Home Depot on various projects over the past several years because of friends and helping them work on home upgrades. Asking for a paint match is almost certainly going to end up in disaster; asking for the location of any product is bound to get at least 3 clerks involved, all of them telling you a different location in the store, and all of them with a "deer-in-headlights" look.

It seems as if Home Depot is becoming more of a self-service store than anything. Finding a knowledgable Home Depot employee is rare, and when you do find one, you can tell the person is maxed-out because he's the only one people come to see! And pretty soon, he will probably quit due to the pressure and I don't blame him at all.

My experience with Home Depot is coming from 3 stores in my area. Maybe it's just Oregon.
Old 02-16-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We went to Home Depot a few weeks ago to look for some appliances. The person working in that department kept answering the phone, leaving to help other customers (we were there first) and then when we told him that we were ready to buy, he said that he didn't know how to work the system and that we'd have to come back.

Both Lowes and Home Depot in my area bring on teh suck.
Old 02-16-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Were these employees older or younger?

This usually helps me:

Just go in there and look for a male employee in his 40s or 50s. They usually help. If I find one more retarded gang banger 20 something working at Lowe's or HD...I'll just go on a rampage.

The women just tell you where to go from their checkout (which is understandable) but don't even call anyone else to help you and the younger employees won't look at you unless you are Eminem or Usher or whoever the hell is popular now.

Gah, I can't stand people my age.

And yes, Home Depot are not working on proving their espoused values.

Last edited by conscience; 02-16-05 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-16-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife worked for Home Depot from '99-'04 and was so loyal she bled orange. We're talkin' wicked hahd-core. The Home Depot she went to work for was much different than the company that exists today. Essentially, when co-founder Arthur Blank left and was replaced by Bob Nardelli from G.E., a lot of the corporate culture that made the company great was stripped away. It used to be that each store was somewhat autonomous and managers had broad authority to make their store run well. There were a lot more full time employees, many of whom had stock options, who felt a real team spirit about their jobs. Since Nardelli took over, he's replaced many of the knowledgeble full time employees with less-caring part-timers and, in many cases, pressured older higher salaried employees to leave in favor of cheaper replacements.
Old 02-16-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, that sucks. Nardelli probably figured where else are people going to go.
Old 02-16-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As i posted in another thread about lowes/home depot:

As Mike Nelson (mst3k) says: The fastest way to get help in Home Depot is to start climbing the shelves.
Old 02-16-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems that Home Depot has hired all ex-Fry's employees. Sad stuff, indeed.
Old 02-16-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not just Home Depot, but all the big stores. For the longest time all customers have clamoured for is low prices. Low, low prices come at a premium IMO. Most stores just hire workers to me mindless robots, "Move this skid!" "Run that register!" which leads to no real training about the store or what their doing. If you couple that with the fact that most people working in these stores are getting paid shit, it's not surprising that customer service is non-existant.
Old 02-16-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They went and got a real job. It's sad to say because when Arthur Blank ran this company it was a good company to work for. Now as many have stated it's just part time people who don't give a crap about anything.

My ex-girlfriends father went to work there a few years ago in between jobs and was so loyal they BEGGED him not to leave. He was knowledgable and came to work. They just wouldn't pay him. He lives in Fairfax and was making 11/hr. Thats peanuts up there. The store manager tried and tried to get him more money but the people up above wouldn't budge. Sometimes the good employees are the ones that get screwed the worst.
Old 02-16-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kantonburg
They went and got a real job. It's sad to say because when Arthur Blank ran this company it was a good company to work for. Now as many have stated it's just part time people who don't give a crap about anything.

My ex-girlfriends father went to work there a few years ago in between jobs and was so loyal they BEGGED him not to leave. He was knowledgable and came to work. They just wouldn't pay him. He lives in Fairfax and was making 11/hr. Thats peanuts up there. The store manager tried and tried to get him more money but the people up above wouldn't budge. Sometimes the good employees are the ones that get screwed the worst.
Right on the money.

To keep prices down in the store, management in a lot of places (Circuit City, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc.) have refused to increase wages in respect to a realistic inflation level.

Instead, they merely refocus their ideal hire as a high school student, a lower class earner or a lower middle class person looking to pick up some part time wages. This greatly reduces the quality of worker (I know when I was 18 working in a grocery store, I could give two shits about where stuff was) and really destroys any concept of corporate culture or being part of a team.

The only people making a living wage are the management.
Old 02-16-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you must shop at Home Depot (or Lowe's), do it on-line. Much better than shopping in person. You can take your time, learn a little about each product, compare prices, and make an informed decision on what to buy. You can have it delivered or if you need it right away, drive over and pick it up. You can bring a print-out of what you want to buy and if you can't find it you can always try asking the idiot employees where it is. Lowe's on-line tells you if the item is in-stock at your local store so you know before you go if you can get it there.

Never, I repeat, NEVER, have anyone from Home Depot install anything for you in your home. You may get lucky and have them do it right the first time, but if they mess up, trying to get them to correct their mistakes can be a nightmare. Trust me on this one.

Edit: Sorry, DVD Polizei, I re-read your post and saw that you did shop on-line first. Now you have to ask yourself, is it worth the time and expense to drive over there vs the cost of having it delivered? Can you wait a couple of days to get the item? A lot of times delivery is the way to go.

Last edited by Tandem; 02-16-05 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-16-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
... There were a lot more full time employees, many of whom had stock options, who felt a real team spirit about their jobs. Since Nardelli took over, he's replaced many of the knowledgeble full time employees with less-caring part-timers and, in many cases, pressured older higher salaried employees to leave in favor of cheaper replacements.

Bingo....and it's not just Home Depot. Same thing is happening all across corporate America. Lowes, Bestbuy, Circuit City, Walmart, CVS, yada yada. Soon a lot more people will be working two part time jobs as opposed to 1 full time job