Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Okay, which one of you DVDTalkers is this?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-16-05, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/11/pf/s...dway/index.htm

Saying 'no' to Madison Ave.

Holly Ordway doesn't let advertisers influence her buying habits because she's tuned them out.
February 15, 2005: 9:59 AM EST
By Deshundra Jefferson, CNN/Money staff writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Madison Avenue can't sway Holly Ordway. It can't even reach her.

The 30-year-old technical writer, and creator of SpendingWisely.com, rarely listens to the radio, doesn't watch broadcast or cable television, and doesn't subscribe to "ad-filled" magazines.

Holly wants to disconnect from what she deems the "consumer-hype industry." Frugal living is her long-term savings strategy.

"I have lots of little tricks, but any one of those is irrelevant by itself," she explained. "It's the big picture, and for me the big picture is: I think about what I spend."

There's no budget or spending plan involved in her decision-making. Holly simply aims to spend as little as possible and save the rest. She admits that it runs counter to the pay-yourself-first theory of saving, but it's a strategy that has allowed her and her husband, Noel, 32, to save more than half of her gross income.

"If you have the philosophy of saving 10 percent to 15 percent then you end up spending the rest. That also puts you in the trap of thinking, 'As my income increases, so will my spending,'" she said.

Neither she nor her husband has any debt. Holly had about $10,000 in student loans, but paid that off within two years. There's no mortgage to worry about as they opted to rent rather than buy so that they can pick up their stakes as they please.

Choosing to spend less
A frugal life can be a fairly comfortable one too.

Holly decorated her previous apartments, and current San Diego-area digs, mainly through rummaging through the classifieds, flea markets, and used furniture stores. Among her findings: an antique cherry wood desk acquired for $70 and a solid oak dining set, purchased for $100.

She's well-versed in the Yankee skill of haggling, thanks to her dad. That helped her shave a few dollars off a coffee table she bought for $10 (seller wanted $15-$20) and a futon purchased through Craigslist (paid $120 instead of the $150 asking price).

Many of her finds are better quality than new items sold for the same price. And having an apartment that she can "live in" is a higher priority than a polished, designer magazine look.

Holly has an impressive 200-plus DVD collection that costs nothing to add to. Using an Amazon.com Visa card to pay for ordinary purchases garners enough points to qualify for a $25 gift certificate every other month. They pay off their balance each month, making that gift certificate a fun little freebie.

She also reviews DVDs for an Internet movie site, so that helps to add new titles to their collection.

"I get to watch interesting things that would never occur to me to buy," she notes. "It's nice when you can take one of your hobbies and make it work for you."

Another thing that keeps them out of the theaters is their entertainment system -- complete with surround sound -- purchased a few years ago to recreate the movie-going experience.

Doesn't sound like much of a money-saving move. But Holly's fairly astute at determining which purchases are needs versus wants, and which wants are worth indulging.

"I'm willing to think critically about purchases that most people in the United States take for granted," she explains. "For instance, in my household we have just one car."

Except in bad weather, their preferred mode of transportation is to bike. So there's little reason for the pair to get that second car or to worry about all extra expenses, be it gas or insurance, that would come with one.

She's careful about committing to recurring expenses -- yet another reason not to subscribe cable -- as she says it can really add up.

All things considered, Holly and Noel live on less than $30,000 a year. Not bad for a six-figure couple.

"Being frugal is all about making good choices with your money," she said. "It is important to understand how you are spending your money and to know that you are spending it in ways that match your goals."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Come out come out whoever you are!
Old 02-16-05, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Old 02-16-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Wow. Good way to save a bundle. I would worry that you would never spend and enjoy what you earn, though. I am pretty frugal, but there isn't any point in not enjoying life, either.
Old 02-16-05, 03:07 AM
Banned

Well, I listen to the radio sometimes, watch a hell of a lot of TV (with all the ads cut out), and any magazines I get are free subs that I get from places like this. I also go to the movies, eat out, buy anything I want when I want it, and enjoy the hell out of my cash.

I also spend about $30k a year. It would be even less than that if it wasn't for my student loans.

The key is to not want useless crap. I've never given a shit about how a thing looks, I'm more interested in function. Maybe that comes from being a total tech. nerd or something.

I'm reasonably frugal in my spending, but only because I have the internet and can research prices and such whenever I buy something. I don't usually make impulse buys because if I want to buy something the first place I go is online. Brick and mortar stores are dead to me, unless my online research tells me that's the cheapest or most cost effective way to get whatever I'm looking for.

My point is that you can be a cheap bastard and still have everything you want without giving up on cable TV or getting used stuff at flea markets and such. My mom does the whole flea market and auction thing, and while she does get incredible deals, she buys what is, in my opinion, worthless shit. Who needs an antique chair that is uncomfortable as hell and is only there to look pretty? Who gives a shit about having an oak dining table when all you're doing with it is to put stuff on top of it?

I've never understood the desire for owning things that look good. I prefer to focus on things that do the job they were designed to do and do it incredibly well. I guess that's just me.
Old 02-16-05, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I live comfortably (IMHO) on much less than 30 grand a year.
Old 02-16-05, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wabio
Holly has an impressive 200-plus DVD collection that costs nothing to add to. Using an Amazon.com Visa card to pay for ordinary purchases garners enough points to qualify for a $25 gift certificate every other month. They pay off their balance each month, making that gift certificate a fun little freebie.

She also reviews DVDs for an Internet movie site, so that helps to add new titles to their collection.

200+.... impressive? Alright, now you know it can't be anyone from this site.
Old 02-16-05, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/bio.p...reviewID=14453

Pics!
Old 02-16-05, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

mystery solved.
Old 02-16-05, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk God

i bet he didnt think he was really going to get an answer
Old 02-16-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, for those of us who read the DVDTalk reviews know who Holly is. I noticed she has a different pic on her bio now.

I've always wondered if I've bumped into her at any of the DVD places I shop.
Old 02-16-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For living frugaly, she manages to put $1,250 worth on her amazon card every month. I put about half that on my cards and am not trying that hard to live frugaly.
Old 02-16-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wabio
Hmm, we have a DVDTalk reviewer named Orday, that's a tough one to figure out.

As for me, I've always said that I work hard to earn my money so I don't have to work hard trying to squeeze every penny.
Old 02-16-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by asabase
For living frugaly, she manages to put $1,250 worth on her amazon card every month. I put about half that on my cards and am not trying that hard to live frugaly.
well.. if you get in the habit of paying all your bills with your credit card (to get the points) and then paying off your credit card each month.. its pretty easy to use 1,250 per month...

hell, for most people, rent would eat up the majority of that..
toss in groceries, gas, etc..... and Im 1250 is VERY frugal.
Old 02-16-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, if you visit other parts of DVDTalk, you know who this person is.
Old 02-16-05, 09:29 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
What other parts?
Old 02-16-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, if they're happy, I say good for them! I wish I didn't have so many hobbies and could bike everywhere.
Old 02-16-05, 09:41 AM

Will this mystery ever be solved? Somebody get wabio a wipe!
Old 02-16-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WhoGirl

200+.... impressive? Alright, now you know it can't be anyone from this site.
Old 02-16-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by asabase
It's quite easy, actually. Just put all of your bills and living expenses on your card. I charge my cell, cable, groceries, etc. With all my other expenses, it usually ends up around $1200.
Old 02-16-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Duran

I charge my cell, cable, groceries, etc.
The frugal consumer recognizes that these things are luxury items, not needs. You can always borrow someone else's phone, television is for simpletons, and restaurants throw away food all the time.

das
Old 02-16-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
The frugal consumer recognizes that these things are luxury items, not needs. You can always borrow someone else's phone, television is for simpletons, and restaurants throw away food all the time.

das
riiiiiight..let's see YOU without TV for more than 20 minutes
Old 02-16-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoa! We actually found her! We have more answers than the CIA!!!!!
Old 02-16-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman
What other parts?
Old 02-16-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc

i checked SPORTS and she wasnt in there
Old 02-16-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ask Holly about her Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars review. She loves talking about that.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407378

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.