Reload this Page >

Flying with a broken leg?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-16-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What will most major airlines do if you show up to board with a lowest-fare ticket and a full cast on your leg which eliminates any chance of fitting into a coach seat? Can they decline service? Does the ADA force them to accomodate you?
Old 02-16-05, 12:21 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't they make you take off your cast at the security area?
Old 02-16-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
I broke my heel in August 2003, the day before I was to return to Kansas City from Florida. I went to Southwest with the ticket I had already purchased.

They allowed me to preboard, and Southwest has some seats that face each other. My wife and I grabbed the seats in front - 3 backwards seats facing 2 forward seats. We sat there with the large cast taking up a seat.

EVERYONE passed the two of us by, allowing the two of us to have, basically, 5 seats.

I think most airlines will do their best to accomodate you. Even if they don't have facing seats like Soutwest, they will probably try to give you an entire row, or if totally full, an aisle seat where you can put the cast into the walk area.... just watch out for banging by the drink cart...
Old 02-16-05, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The flying shouldn't be a problem, but landing on that leg is gonna be hell.
Old 02-16-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Putting your leg up is fine however I don't think ANY airline will bump a paying passenger to allow you to do so. Southwest will tell you to either move it or buy another ticket if the flight is sold-out.

The airlines WILL try and accomidate you, though. Pre-boarding is a given. They can move you to an aisle seat or exit row. If that's not possible and there is room in First Class (which there usually is. Who pays $1500 to fly from St. Louis to Dallas? And the majors wonder why they're bankrupt...) then they can move you up there. It might require some pushing on your part. God forbid they upgrade for free you to what will otherwise be an empty seat. Again, the majors are stupid.