Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Help: Package sent to wrong address. Suggestions? Thread from 2005

Old 02-15-05, 11:35 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: Package sent to wrong address. Suggestions? Thread from 2005

[summary in bold]

So i just found out a package that was supposedly delivered to my house on friday actually went to the wrong address. I asked everyone that passed through my house between friday and monday to make sure it wasn't someone here before i got the ball rolling on phoning companies up. called ups and they told me which address it went to.

Now, should i go over to that address (i think it's near by) and ask for the package or call up the company and have them fix the problem? i checked the website and it does show the right shipping address. don't know how it ended up being something else. ups customer service said it was left on the front door (of that other address) yet on the tracking website, it shows signed by *insert my last name*.

I'm not too fond of the going to the address idea.

Help please. been online shopping since the first matrix dvd came out and this is the first time i've failed to get a package
Old 02-15-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would go around to the place and see if they have your package. Easy done. Worst they can do is say "no" and you can tell the company when you make a complaint that you've tried to get it back.

Why the reluctance to go around there?
Old 02-15-05, 11:47 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just not sure if it's gonna be a nice old lady or an ak47 greeting me at the door (i know not that extreme but you know what i mean).
Old 02-17-05, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

whats in the box
Old 02-17-05, 04:14 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I had this happen recently... the individual said they never received it, but shipping confirmation said it was delivered. Nothing I could do about it.
Old 02-17-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The person who signed for it committed fraud by signing your name. Mention that when you go and ask for it back.
Old 02-17-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by HN
Just not sure if it's gonna be a nice old lady or an ak47 greeting me at the door (i know not that extreme but you know what i mean).
Could be both!

Just send Vinny, he'll get it back... trust me!

Seriously, UPS screwed up, put the monkey on thier back! The package had your address on it, they (UPS) delivered it to the wrong address and got someone elses signature as confirmation of receipt.

Sonic

Last edited by Sonicflood; 02-17-05 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-17-05, 10:46 AM

This happens to me all the time, there's a street nearby (Velvet Valley) and I live on Velvet Ridge. They deliver to the other street I'd say nearly 50% of the time (most of the time UPS/FedEX doesn't even bother getting a signature).

The family has always called whenever they've received one of our packages by mistake.

I'd go over there, sometime during the early evening / afternoon, knock politely, and ask them if they had received a package by mistake.

birrman54
Old 02-17-05, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HN
Man! Scared of the world much?
Old 02-17-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was expecting a laptop computer once via UPS. I tracked it on their site all day and eventually it said "Delivered / Front Door" and had my name as if I had signed for it. I was home all day and the UPS guy had not stopped by, so I started searching the neighborhood assuming it had gone to the wrong house. About two hours later the UPS truck shows up and drops off the computer. I can only assume the guy was scanning in his packages before actually dropping them off to make his delivery times look better or something. Suckekekeke. I don't see how UPS would know they delivered it to the wrong address. If the correct address was on the package why would the drive take it somewhere else AND purposely make a note of it?
Old 02-17-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I assumed "package sent to wrong address" was just a euphemism for "I accidentally had sex with her sister." This forum needs more threads like that.
Old 02-17-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cameron
whats in the box
"WHAT'S IN THE BBBOOOOXXX!!??!"

-pedagogue
Old 02-17-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Birrman54
I'd go over there, sometime during the early evening / afternoon, knock politely, and ask them if they had received a package by mistake.

birrman54
I guess after the first time of receiving a package from, "Ginormous Sex Toys International" the shock wore off, and now it is old hat.

-pedagogue
Old 02-17-05, 12:50 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, issue resolved, the world is semi-normal again:

1. the night i posted this, i talked with the vendor and explained the situation. they said since it's a popular item (dvd player) it wouldn't be in stock again 'til mid to late march i could either wait or get a refund. i go for the refund of course.

2. the next morning (yesterday), the package was at more doorstep (i guess the gun totin' outlaw grandma wales dropped it off).

3. let the vendor know about this and the refund was removed (I know i could have gone through a whole "this was such a hassle blah blah blah, i should be compensated blah blah blah" but i'm not into that kinda of thing).

4. i probably could have gotten away with not letting them know at all but my conscience really does get the better of me most of the time. i believe i live a better life for it.

Originally Posted by QuAcKeR
I don't see how UPS would know they delivered it to the wrong address. If the correct address was on the package why would the drive take it somewhere else AND purposely make a note of it?
As for my feelings about ups: the package clearly (as clear as a ups label can get anyway) had my correct address on it. the automated ups phone voice (and i guess the delivery person, too) had the wrong address. what happened there i don't know. UPS website tracking thing and above automated ups phone voice said the package was signed for but the live ups customer service insists there was no signature. ridiculous; talk about trying to cover your ass.

Originally Posted by Green Jello
Man! Scared of the world much?
Human contact is to be kept at a bear minimum, like sunlight.

Thanks again y'all!
Old 02-17-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HN
Human contact is to be kept at a bear minimum, like sunlight.
Amen.
Old 02-17-05, 06:08 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
The person who signed for it committed fraud by signing your name. Mention that when you go and ask for it back.
Not sure if you were responding to me or OP, but in my case. It was USPS and no signature required. Unfortunately, there was a lot of construction going on at the time. Technically, anyone could have taken the package. There is no proof that it was actually received by the resident or if someone else took it.
Old 01-22-15, 11:41 AM

Re: Help: Package sent to wrong address. Suggestions?

Bumping another very old thread, since this has happened to me a couple of times:

If a package that is addressed to you is mid-delivered to a neighbor, they have an obligation to give this back to you. I've had the same thing happen several times, and in all the cases the neighbor has brought this to me. Conversely, I have also gotten neighbor's packages & brought it over to them.

That being said, if the neighbor the package was mis-delivered to hadn't brought the package(s) to me, I would have taken this up with the company that delivered the package in the first place - which I started to do at one point, until the neighbor brought me the package (as I said, I've always gotten these packages eventually).

That being said, you unfortunately have no way to prove whether a neighbor got a package of yours or not - unless they bring it to you. And, when I had this issue with UPS a while back they didn't know who they had mis-deliverered the package to (or wouldn't admit it).

From my experience, UPS is the biggest culprit here re: misdelivering packages - at least these days. Not saying USPS is perfect, but I haven't had the problem happen as much with them.

Personally, I am more concerned about this type of thing now than in the past since I plan to order items through the mail more often than I used to; since it's tough these days to find Blu's & other specialty items at retail, the only recourse some of us have is to get these delivered by mail-order...

Last edited by TheDude; 02-14-15 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-22-15, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Bumping another very old thread, since this has happened to me a couple of times:

If a package that is addressed to you is mid-delivered to a neighbor, they have an obligation to give this back to you. I've had the same thing happen several times, and in all the cases the neighbor has brought this to me. Conversely, I have also gotten neighbor's packages & brought it over to them.

That being said, if the neighbor the package was mis-delivered to hadn't brought the package(s) to me, I would have taken this up with the company that delivered the package in the first place - which I started to do at one point, until the neighbor brought me the package (as I said, I've always gotten these packages eventually).

That being said, you unfortunately have no way to prove whether a neighbor got a package of yours or not - unless they bring it to you. And, when I had this issue with UPS a while back they didn't know who they had mis-deliverered the package to (or wouldn't admit it).

From my experience, UPS is the biggest culprit here re: misdelivering packages - at least these days. Not saying USPS is perfect, but I haven't head the problem happen as much with them.

Personally, I am more concerned this type of thing now than in the past since I plan to order items through the mail more often than I used to; since it's tough these days to find Blu's & other specialty items at retail, the only recourse some of us have is to get these delivered by mail-order...
Mod Note:

Please stop from doing so. A new thread can be started, rather than confusing people by bumping a ten year old one.

Thank You.
Old 01-22-15, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Help: Package sent to wrong address. Suggestions? Thread from 2005

Change his title to Inane Thread Bumper.
Old 01-22-15, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Change his title to Inane Thread Bumper.
Old 01-22-15, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the clarification - I honestly thought creating new threads was frowned around here, since that's the way it was on some of the other boards I was on. So, I usually bump threads - unless they're locked. Will not do so again.
Old 01-22-15, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, start a new thread then you get the people that shit on you for not using a thread that was already made about something, like this forum is so busy these days that a new thread would clog things up.
You're damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Old 01-22-15, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
Yeah, start a new thread then you get the people that shit on you for not using a thread that was already made about something, like this forum is so busy these days that a new thread would clog things up.
You're damned if you do, damned if you don't.
No, you really aren't.

It simply is common sense. If it is a very specific topic and a thread already exists, then bump it.

However, if your post is only tangentially related, or is of such a general nature, then ten year old threads should not be bumped. Nobody is complaining about new threads that may have somewhat been discussed years ago. However, people do rightfully complain about the practice of bumping older threads unnecessarily, particularly since often folks respond to posts by users no longer on the forum.

Lastly, as you stated a new general topic thread is not going to clog up the forum.
Old 01-22-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post

It simply is common sense.
No such thing.
Old 01-22-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

From my experience, UPS is the biggest culprit here re: misdelivering packages - at least these days. Not saying USPS is perfect, but I haven't head the problem happen as much with them.

Personally, I am more concerned this type of thing now than in the past since I plan to order items through the mail more often than I used to; since it's tough these days to find Blu's & other specialty items at retail, the only recourse some of us have is to get these delivered by mail-order...
Do you ever feel, what with your posts of not receiving change and packages, that the world may be against you?

Last edited by Jaymole; 01-22-15 at 12:59 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.