Cant really recommend Lowe's !!!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-15-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Major long rant. advice wanted at end..

Lowe's, whom I have always been a big proponent of, decided to screw me over bad this week!

We ordered $5000+ worth of stuff from a brand new Lowe's in Atlanta for a house we just bought. Among this was 4 appliances, 2 refrigerators and a washer and a dryer.

The guys that came to install them, an hour late no less, basically had no clue what they were doing.

- They brought the wrong washer
- They couldnt figure out how to hook up the dryer (brought the wrong attachment)
- Placed the one refrigerator in the wrong room (after we pointed at the right room)

However - the 2. refrigerator they managed to hook up (missed some parts, but we found them inside the refrigerator after they left - they couldnt find them).

We have not moved into the house yet, so its empty.

The guy painting the house calls us up saying there is a water leak from the refrigerator (hookup for ice / water). Damage to floor, ceiling of basement, carpet of basement and some wall damage). (Remember house is empty, no one is in there yet!)

We call lowes, they send the same 'professional installers' out who take some pictures but claim they inspected it when they brought out the new washer (remember the first one didnt work).

We call Lowes same day. The delivery manager tells us he talked to them, he agrees that its their fault and they will repair the damage. They will 'make it right'. We are told we have to wait until Monday and the claims dept will call us. We are instructed not to do anything (even damage control) until then, so we dont.

MOnday comes.. nothing.. several calls unanswered.

Tuesday, we leave 3 messages. Finally claims lady calls us back. Starts on a bunch of redtape saying they have to assess guilt first etc. We explain they already said they would agree to do it.

Called the store manager, he says he'll call the claims lady and find out whats going on.

Then just now - they deny any liability and say we are on our own because their insurance company wont cover it because their installers said they didnt see damage when they came out to replace the washer...

WTF!!

So now they want me to pay to replace a sheetrock ceiling, carpet and more and walk away whistling..

I guess I learned the hard way not to deal with them!

So I need ideas - here's what I'm doing so far

- Complaint with BBB
- Small claims court (can I only sue for actual damages or for tons of hours of wasted time too?
- Lowe's Corporate (already have a complaint filed)

what else? This is just pissing me off to no extent! To make things better, I'm in Ireland and its pretty hard to deal with from here
Old 02-15-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow. Good luck and keep us informed. I never use Lowes or Home Depot's contractors. The good contractors rarely work for them.
Old 02-15-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Called Lowe's corp to get the county where I need to file the small claims suit - seemed to have the CSR a bit more attentive, but still status quo tho.
Old 02-15-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good luck is all I can say. I can only imagine what a headache this will be and I do hope it goes smooth for you. I agree with the small claims. Even if you don't go through with it that will keep them moving.
Old 02-15-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depending on how much damage you have, you can also turn in a claim with your own insurance company. When you go thru the process they will ask you what happened and explain everything. They will settle the claim with you and then they SHOULD go after Lowes. Most insurance companies have an entire department to go after responible parties. Heck, they may even have an agreement with Lowes. If they are successful in getting the money back they paid you, they will also try to get back your deductible.

All insurance companies hand this (call subrogation) differently. But Lowes may be a little more receptive when an insurance company comes knocking. In addition, there is no absolute. It will be up to yoru insurance company to decide how hard they want to pursue.
Old 02-15-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

sorry to hear that man. hope you get everything straightened out
Old 02-15-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know if it would matter, but why not see if the manager will sign something along the lines of what he admitted over the phone.

And yeah, let your insurance company fight for you.
Old 02-15-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yikes. Well, the good news is that you have an independent eyewitness - the painter. I doubt Lowe's will want to fight this. Though it doesn't look like it at the moment, the resolution will probably be quick and relatively painless. Good luck...

- David Stein
Old 02-15-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lowes sucks. I won't go there after an issue I had buying a lawn tractor in 2001. I was only out $50 bucks, but their attitude was maddening.

Good luck.
Old 02-15-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since they just opened in the area I'm sure they would hate it if one of your local tv stations had a report about it. You know, News5 on your side.
Old 02-16-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would call and ask that the delivery manager come out and inspect the house. I'm surprised they sent the same guys to check the problems.

Did you sign or initial anything before the delivery guys left the first time? If you did and you quoted that you were satisfied you may have a little more difficult time fighting this battle.
Old 02-16-05, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The more honest and experienced Lowes employees will often tell you not to use their installers. Same with Home Depot. We bought cabinets and appliances at Lowes and both salespeople told us we were better off hiring our own installers. The door/window guy at Home Depot told us the same thing.
Old 02-16-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't there $1000 limit in small claims court. That sounds closer to $3000, maybe more.
Old 02-16-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are two kind of Lowes/Home Depot employees:
1) Used to work for a smaller company that went under when Lowes Depot moved in so they went to work for them. These people are usually highly knowledgeable, friendly, and honest.

2) Person who can't get a job anywhere else. They don't know anything and don't give a shit, especially about you.
Old 02-16-05, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd call the manager back up and tell them to either cut you a check or come pick up all the stuff they sold you, and to do it today.
Old 02-16-05, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No updates yet - Delivery manager should be back in today, so i will call him.. But his boss and his boss' boss already said they wont do anything.

I believe small claims court in GA is actually max 15.000 - however I think I may need to file in Wilkes County, NC because thats where Lowes Corporate is.

I will call insurance company today. The thing that sucks is that we have a huge deductible like $1500 or so.

Local news sound like a plan as well. I usually dont get this upset over something but thats just too much.

Never had to be in a courtroom, but I guess there is a first time for anything - I read about it (small claims) and it didnt sound too complicated. Of course it would suck if I lost for some reason
Old 02-16-05, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RoQuEr
I'd call the manager back up and tell them to either cut you a check or come pick up all the stuff they sold you, and to do it today.
I thought about it, but then I have to go buy new stuff and wait for that as well... (and I got a good deal).. but i guess its probably the right thing to do.
Old 02-16-05, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

corporation commission gets more done than the BBB from what I hear.
Old 02-16-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

maybe I can find 200 others that think they cannot install stuff and do a class action
Old 02-16-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You live in Atlanta and use Lowe's? Shame on you. I suppose you drink Pepsi, fly United, and root for the Mets too!

I hate Lowe's. The fact that I have had a significant investment in Home Depot for the past ~15 years has nothing to do with it.

das
Old 02-16-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a problem with Home Depot. All I wanted was around 40 square feet of tile laid in a bathroom. From the start, they screwed up everything regarding the dimensions of the room, pricing, etc. Before they even laid the tile I got a refund and took the tile back to them.

I will go to Lowe's and HD to buy parts and things I can use or install myself. I will never contract them to do the actual work again.
Old 02-16-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ravan
I believe small claims court in GA is actually max 15.000 - however I think I may need to file in Wilkes County, NC because thats where Lowes Corporate is.
I haven't taken the Georgia bar, but you might want to check into that.

From http://www.gcacommission.org/countie...vilfaq.html#4F
5. WHERE SHOULD I FILE MY CASE?

You must file your case in the county in which the Defendant (the party you are suing) resides. This requirement is referred to as "venue."

5A. Individuals

For an individual, venue is the county of the person's legal residence.

5B. Businesses

The proper venue for a business Defendant is determined by the type of business. For a sole proprietorship, the suit should be brought in the county in which the owner of the business resides. For a partnership, the suit should be brought in the county in which at least one of the owners resides. For a corporation, the suit should be brought in the county which the corporation has designated with the Secretary of State as its registered office.

5C. Multiple Defendants

For multiple Defendants, you can file your case in any county in which venue would be proper for at least one of the Defendants, if they are jointly and severally liable.

5D. Out of State Parties

For a party which lives outside the State of Georgia, or a corporation from outside the State of Georgia, your case should be filed in the county in which the transaction or occurrence giving rise to the claim took place.

Old 02-16-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you pay on credit card? Dispute the charges - that should get their attention, too.

Oh yeah - call your local TV station, too - they usually have one of those "consumer advocates"

And in the future, document EVERYTHING. If the manager admitted fault, I would have immediately sent him a certified letter and fax confirming everything in the conversation.
Old 02-16-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I will go to Lowe's and HD to buy parts and things I can use or install myself. I will never contract them to do the actual work again.
Exactly. HD and Lowes contractors are almost always second tier.
Old 02-16-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

have you called clark howard?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.