Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

To Clean, Or Not To Clean, That is the question

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Should I Clean?
Yes, be like Alice fromt he Brady BUnch, make that place shine
37.50%
Hell no, just get out and never look back.
62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm moving.

I've got an apartment owned by one of those "ultra landlord" companies that own every property from here to kingdom come. I"m going back to "private" rentals, and renting a house for slightly more then my apartment was.

I've already paid the last month's rent here, and I'm going next week to put the sec + 1st month on the new one.

Do I want to clean at all before I leave here? They will keep my entire deposit ($605). I've already figured that I'm getting NOTHING back from them , and planned accordingly.

My mom used to work for this company, and said unless I rent a shampooer, spackle the walls, and do some minor paint touch ups, I won't see a single cent back from them.

I figured it out, and I'll need about $75 and 2 hours of time to get this place back to "partial refund" level.

Is it really worth it? Or do I just want to move out and never look back?
Old 02-15-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're getting nothing back, screw 'em!!!!!!
Old 02-15-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had my last rental professionally cleaned by a maid service and steam cleaned the carpets, too. I spackled the walls and painted them. The place was beyond gorgous when we left and I did get 100% of my deposit back, which was about $900 so it was worth it to me.

If you know for sure that the company isn't going to give you your money back then do a half-assed job and don't worry about it.
Old 02-15-05, 03:58 PM
X
Administrator

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
How much is partial refund" level?
Old 02-15-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 197 Likes on 139 Posts
You had to put a deposit down? Sucker!
Old 02-15-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you aren't getting anything back then no. Don't clean. Why would you?
Old 02-15-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Humm, spend $75 to get $300...
Old 02-15-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Property managers always get people to forego their deposits because they figure, "Well, I'll never see that money!" I say clean it up the best you can. It's not like you'll be losing anything. Make an effort and you'll probably get some money back.
Old 02-15-05, 04:11 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by waporvare
Humm, spend $75 to get $300...
He said partial refund, it may not be $300.

I'm going to make my apartment as clean as I can before I move. I'm not going to shampoo the carpets, but it'll look pretty good.

Last edited by Supermallet; 02-15-05 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Now 10 times cleaner!
Old 02-15-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it all depends on your lease. Was there a non-refundable cleaning/redecorating fee in there? If so, you are usually only required to do a "broom" cleaning, which means a reasonable amount. How long did you live there? Also, did you do anything that would constitute damage? I would request to be present for the walk through so you can dispute anything and get a signed copy of the walk through sheet. If you show you are interested in getting this money instead of writing it off you are more likely to get it back.

FWIW I once left my boyfriends (now husband) place so clean they even refunded the non-refundable deposit and wrote him (me) a nice letter so you never know.
Old 02-15-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Clean it and ask to be there when they do the walk through. If there is anything that they don't like, tell them you'll fix it. Then get their signing off on it.

That way, it will be extremely difficult for them to later deny a partial refund (or even the whole thing).
Old 02-15-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look at your move in list of how the place was. Clean it and take pictures of how it looked after you cleaned. Depending on the state they must give you a report about what happened to your deposit. If you don't think it is fair, pay the $10 to go to small claims and get it back. Most won't want to bother with small claims. The law is generally on the side of the tenant. My company bends over backwards to give it back. We don't get the money for the deposit, so why keep it unless it is legit?
Old 02-15-05, 04:29 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts
Shit on the floor.
Old 02-15-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How filthy is it that you won't get your deposit back? Carpets are expected to have some wear after a tennant... in fact, most apartment companies will replace carpets every few years or renters and never charge the last tennant for it. You were supposed to do a walkthrough before moving in and note all the problems with it - needs paint, carpet stain, etc... what did you do to the place that it's not in the same condition that it was when you moved in? If simply cleaning it would restore it to the state it was in when you moved in, I don't see why you wouldn't get all of your deposit back.

It kinda disgusts me that people think this way - that someone else wants to clean up after them. Someone just told me a story today of their friend who worked at Neiman Markus and he went to have lunch with her one day and as he was waiting, this snooty lady walked by with her little dog and the dog shit and pissed all over the floor in the store and she just kept on walking. He asked his friend about it and she said "oh yeah, she spends tens of thousands of dollars here, her dog can do whatever it wants." Pretty thoughtless behavior I think.

Not that you would ever take advice from me, but I would suggest you clean the place out of common decency if nothing else... as for paint and damaged items, chalk that stuff up to a loss. As a landlord, I wouldn't expect you to paint or fix stuff broken items and your deposit will take care of such things. And like I said, in apartments, they expect to repaint and recarpet periodically so it may not go against you. At least clean up though - and spot clean any carpet stains and do your best to clean up marks on the walls. Unless you lived like Motley Crue every day, I think you should expect to see most of your deposit back if you spend a day cleaning up. Ask a friend to help you.
Old 02-15-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Basically,as far as I can tell, I'm looking at getting $400 back if I do a spotless job. It'd have to be the same weekend as I move though, and that kind of throws me for a loop. I'm going to be pressed for time so as it is, since I only have the UHAUL for part of that day , and, well I have to go to Staples and pick up a new desk as well. Sigh.
Old 02-15-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trigger : I definately plan on scrubbing the bathroom out, doing a vaccuming and MR Clean mopping the floor. I just was thinking about the shampooing and painting.
Old 02-15-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Look at your move in list of how the place was. Clean it and take pictures of how it looked after you cleaned. Depending on the state they must give you a report about what happened to your deposit. If you don't think it is fair, pay the $10 to go to small claims and get it back. Most won't want to bother with small claims. The law is generally on the side of the tenant. My company bends over backwards to give it back. We don't get the money for the deposit, so why keep it unless it is legit?
Where I'm from (Canberra, Australia), we [landlords] don't get to keep the bond either. It goes to the government who hold it until the person moves out. Then we need to submit receipts and reasons for any claim we have against the money (such as cleaning, etc), otherwise it goes back to the tenant.

Not the best system, but until a few years ago, landlords would routinely keep 1/2 or more of the bond, but would only use a fraction of it in cleaning or repairs.
Old 02-15-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thunderball
Trigger : I definately plan on scrubbing the bathroom out, doing a vaccuming and MR Clean mopping the floor. I just was thinking about the shampooing and painting.
Unless you are really dirty you shouldn't have to do these things(shampoo and paint). They are considered wear and tear and are part of owning a rental. You can seriously fight it if they try to charge you for it.
Old 02-15-05, 05:29 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never heard of a company not giving back a deposit for normal wear and tear.
Old 02-15-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
if you're positive you're not getting any of your deposit back I wouldn't worry about cleaning too much. I'd clean up anything thats quick and easy to do just so that they didn't think I was a huge slob, but I wouldn't spend much time on it
Old 02-15-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by beavismom
Unless you are really dirty you shouldn't have to do these things(shampoo and paint). They are considered wear and tear and are part of owning a rental. You can seriously fight it if they try to charge you for it.
The lease for the house I'm renting now states specifically that I must either pay to have the carpets clean when I move or they'll do it and charge me (no self-cleaning). I'm okay with that because I got a clean carpet when I moved in instead of a grody, self-cleaned carpet. I don't think it's a normal wear and tear issue since it could easily vary from lease to lease.

If you're just moving across town, I would hire someone to clean and take good pictures. If you don't get almost all your deposit back, go to small claims court. If you're moving across country, it's a different story because the landlord will know you're in no position to fight it (if you have a crooked landlord, that is.)
Old 02-15-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

shampooing is a waste of time IMO, but at least spot clean and vacuum. If there's heavy traffic marks, then shampooing isn't that bad an idea. Chances are they'll replace the carpet anyway, but if it looks like they wouldn't have to you should get more money back.
Old 02-15-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I always vote to clean
Old 02-15-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tasha99
The lease for the house I'm renting now states specifically that I must either pay to have the carpets clean when I move or they'll do it and charge me (no self-cleaning). I'm okay with that because I got a clean carpet when I moved in instead of a grody, self-cleaned carpet. I don't think it's a normal wear and tear issue since it could easily vary from lease to lease.

If you're just moving across town, I would hire someone to clean and take good pictures. If you don't get almost all your deposit back, go to small claims court. If you're moving across country, it's a different story because the landlord will know you're in no position to fight it (if you have a crooked landlord, that is.)

I actually mentioned the lease issue in a post earlier, many places charge a mandatory cleaning/redecorating fee, but if it isn't spelled out in his lease he can fight having to pay it.
Old 02-15-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Shit on the floor.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.