Reload this Page >

What is a great family dog?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-14-05, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my family(wife and I) are planning to get another dog from our beautiful Golden Retriever that we have. We are looking at another good family dog, and are thinking about a Sheltie. Anyone have one? I was doing some research and it said they are great family dogs...IF YOU HAVE A YARD(which we do). Any sheltie owners, what are your feelings towards them?

Last edited by Dalvin; 02-14-05 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-14-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 best dogs I ever had were a Collie and an Eskimo Spitz. Both Super with kids, loyal, and always ready to play!
Old 02-14-05, 08:53 PM
Banned

awesome to hear. I hear their temperments are excellent as well and that they get along great with otehr dogs.
Old 02-14-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
All I can say is, if there is a baby around.... do NOT get a Dingo.
Old 02-14-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 02-14-05, 09:02 PM

We have an American Eskimo Spitz, good with our daughter but a spaz, barks a ton, my dog is a Alaskan Malamute I could not ask for a nicer and friendly dog and super great with kids, and everyone for that matter. Only problem with her you do need a yard which we have (12 acres) because she loves to run (and dig) must be part mole I think. Great sled dog for my daughter too.
My 2 year old Julia and Tasha hanging out.

Last edited by schmedy; 02-16-05 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-14-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 02-14-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-14-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
You expect that to feed a whole family? Must be a midget family
Old 02-14-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pets: A Dog, Noodles (who had it's anal glands removed)

http://www.mm52.com/occidentalidols/natalie_portman/

Old 02-14-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. M
Pets: A Dog, Noodles (who had it's anal glands removed)

http://www.mm52.com/occidentalidols/natalie_portman/

No anal glands no sale.
Old 02-14-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We have an Australian Shepherd that we dearly love. Very even-tempered and sociable. The knock I've hear dabout them as family dogs is that they want to herd the little kids.
He was in puppy school with a Sheltie. She was a beautiful dog, but seemed kind of nervous all the time. I don't know if she was just weirded out by all the commotion, or what.
Old 02-14-05, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
For you, the best fit is probably a cross between a "Bull Mastif" and a "Shi Tzu". You can figure out what to name the breed.
Old 02-14-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shelties are nice, but be aware they can be extremely vocal.

Cavaliere King Charles Spaniels make wonderful family dogs, too.
Old 02-14-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How big is the yard? This is important.
Old 02-14-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't forget to consider rescue/adoption. Check out http://www.petfinder.org for dogs in your area who need homes.
Old 02-14-05, 10:48 PM

My best friend just got a beagle. What a dog. Has to be the smartest, friendliest dog I have ever met. A little rambunctious at first, but easy to train.
Old 02-14-05, 10:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by The Cow
For you, the best fit is probably a cross between a "Bull Mastif" and a "Shi Tzu". You can figure out what to name the breed.
Threadcrapping is against forum rules. If you aren't interested in the topic, or the poster, just move along.
Old 02-14-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dead
Threadcrapping is against forum rules. If you aren't interested in the topic, or the poster, just move along.
Awwww, come on. As if the dude doesn't have it coming w/ all his tall tales.

Best dogs are labs, hands down.
Old 02-14-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Boxer bitch (and don't clip the ears).

Great dogs around children and they look mean enough to scare strangers away.
Old 02-14-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Corgis! Hey Duckie has 4 of them so they can't be that bad. One likes it rough.
Old 02-14-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is this breed, I forget the name of them, but a friend of mine was once looking into buying one. It is a Japanese breed of dog, but I believe it to be an Akita, but is VERY loyal. He told me of a story where this one particular dog owned by a Japanese business man would go with the owner each day to the subway then return home after the owner left for work and at the same time each day, the dog would go back to the subway to meet with the owner and walk with him back home. One day the Akita went to the subway to meet his master and his master did not show up, having died that day at work. The dog would return to that spot every day to meet with his owner.

I did find this information on them:
The Akita or Akita Inu is a breed of huge Japanese dog. A fully grown male adult can be over three feet tall at the shoulders. On average a full grown male can reach 120 pounds, a female around 90-100 pounds. Akitas come in many different colors and patterns including white, brindle, black, fawn, and many combinations of these. It is one of the few breeds that the American Kennel Club recognizes in all its coat color variations.

Although the AKC has put the Akita in the Working Group, historically, the Akita was used as a hound to run large game in the mountainous areas of Japan. Anyone who has had hounds will recognize that group's very laid-back, easygoing temperament in this breed.

Despite their enormous size, they are excellent house dogs. They require only a moderate amount of exercise. Akitas are known to be very quiet dogs, only barking when there is something to bark about. When an akita dog barks, pay attention.

When raised indoors with children, they are excellent companions. Left unattended in the backyard, they tend to develop "personality" problems and become very destructive to the yard. They are highly pack oriented, thus, isolating them from the pack (i.e., the owner) causes them great stress.
`
Old 02-14-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The akita is not a good family dog.

Like all spitz breeds, it can be a handful, especially for a novice dog owner. They challenge their owners for alpha position regularly. Even with a lot of obedience training, they will not always listen to you. They can also be very dog aggressive, and at best will be aloof toward strangers. They are very protective. I would advise against an akita if you have small kids around. It isn't that they're particularly aggressive around small children, but they will consider kids to be lower members of the family pack and generally will not listen to commands given by someone half their size. They cannot be trusted offleash, for the most part. They can also be difficult to control, as they are very prey-driven.

Most of the japanese breeds are pretty much the same in temperament. They mostly just differ in size. This is why I never recommend the breed I have (shiba inu). They're gorgeous dogs, and extremely loyal, but not the best dog for everyone.
Old 02-14-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As with any breed, do your homework to determine the best breed (or combination thereof) for your lifestyle.
Old 02-14-05, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shelties are a herding dog, which means they will herd. This means kids.

Of course, that can be a good thing, unless you don't want a bunch of bleeting children milling about on your property.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.