Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

good thing they've banned guns. Teen Stabs Three People At Japanese School; One Dies

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

good thing they've banned guns. Teen Stabs Three People At Japanese School; One Dies

Old 02-14-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.thejacksonchannel.com/new...25/detail.html
Teen Stabs Three People At Japanese School; One Dies

POSTED: 12:16 pm EST February 14, 2005
UPDATED: 2:51 pm EST February 14, 2005

TOKYO -- An education official says a teenager accused of knifing three people at an elementary school in Japan was a former student at the school.

The rampage killed one teacher and wounded two other adults.

Police haven't publicly identified the 17-year-old suspect because of his age.

Officials said he used a sashimi knife, which is usually used for cutting raw fish. Normally, only trained sushi chefs have access to the extremely sharp knives.

The school's principal said the crime "is unforgivable." The principal remembers the killed teacher as the "shining best."
does the bold mean they actually restrict knife ownership too?

Last edited by mikehunt; 02-14-05 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-14-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
When knives are outlawed, only outlaws will have knives.
Old 02-14-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
oh, before someone jumps on me
no I don't think there is anything good about the death or injuries
Old 02-14-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk God

So you think there is something good about death or injuries, EH????? Makes me sick.

edit: Just saw your last post.
Old 02-14-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mikehunt
oh, before someone jumps on me
no I don't think there is anything good about the death or injuries
Not even the fact that it gives you a jumping-off point for an anti gun control rant?
Old 02-14-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow - it only took [counting] 1 post before this tragedy turned into a debate on gun control. That's nice.
Old 02-14-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It's started...
Old 02-14-05, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Wow - it only took [counting] 1 post before this tragedy turned into a debate on gun control. That's nice.
And only seven before the obligatory "Battle Royale" joke.
Old 02-14-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ok, I probably shouldn't have had the first phrase in the title, but so many people act like only the US has school violence and that it's always a school shooting type thing
but the most curious thing about the article is the part saying that only sushi chefs have access to the knives. doesn't say normally only sushi chefs use them, but have access. I don't normally use a boning knife for example but I could easily get access to one at any number of local stores
Old 02-14-05, 05:15 PM
Banned

does the bold mean they actually restrict knife ownership too?
Google tells me:
-Illegal to own knives with blades longer than 15cm.
-Cannot carry around blades longer than 6cm unless you have 'a valid purpose', or it is a folding knife without a lock under 8cm.
-Even then, it's at the police discretion, because the police are considered to have "a duty to prevent crime" and so can basically do as they please.
Old 02-14-05, 05:16 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Good point, mikehunt - if they didn't ban guns, even more people probably would have died! (actually, I'm not an anti-gun person, but I can't seem to wrap my mind around mikehunt's convoluted logic in this)
Old 02-14-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

ok, I probably shouldn't have had the first phrase in the title, but so many people act like only the US has school violence and that it's always a school shooting type thing
but the most curious thing about the article is the part saying that only sushi chefs have access to the knives. doesn't say normally only sushi chefs use them, but have access. I don't normally use a boning knife for example but I could easily get access to one at any number of local stores

I hope you know I was just giving you crap.
Old 02-14-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While I am generally against gun control, your title is a bit silly in my opinion. It's not like people don't get stabbed at schools in the US either. I'm not sure whether a gun wound or knife wound is more survivable but I do know if I were facing down an enemy, I'd much rather he had a knife than a gun.
Old 02-14-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mordred
While I am generally against gun control, your title is a bit silly in my opinion. It's not like people don't get stabbed at schools in the US either. I'm not sure whether a gun wound or knife wound is more survivable but I do know if I were facing down an enemy, I'd much rather he had a knife than a gun.

Often a stab wound is much worse.
Old 02-14-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by greydt
Good point, mikehunt - if they didn't ban guns, even more people probably would have died! (actually, I'm not an anti-gun person, but I can't seem to wrap my mind around mikehunt's convoluted logic in this)

The point is control people here say school shootings are one of the reasons gun control needs to be more strict. I think Mikehunt was getting the point out that even when guns are banned school violence will still take place. Maybe the problem isn't the guns? Do gun control people ever think of that? It takes a finger ot pull the trigger.
Old 02-14-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To be fair, had he had a gun, three people would probably be dead instead of one.
Old 02-14-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I hope you know I was just giving you crap.
yeah, figured it was a direct response to my post about not being glad about the death

and as for the title, it was a knee jerk thing because a lot of people seem to think that without guns there'd be none of these public random killngs
Old 02-14-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

or to be fair it could be like yesterday's mall shooting and no one would be dead

but I've already admitted it was a knee jerk response that I should have left out
Old 02-14-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

or to be fair it could be like yesterday's mall shooting and no one would be dead
A school is more enclosed than a mall. Hallways, etc. People can't scatter like they can in a mall... less places to run.
Old 02-14-05, 06:54 PM

It's a lot harder to be random with a knife...
Old 02-14-05, 07:09 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Mopower
The point is control people here say school shootings are one of the reasons gun control needs to be more strict. I think Mikehunt was getting the point out that even when guns are banned school violence will still take place. Maybe the problem isn't the guns? Do gun control people ever think of that? It takes a finger ot pull the trigger.

Hey, you have no disagreement from me: violence has always existed (and will always exist) in one form or another, just different technology. If someone wants to kill others, they'll find ways to do so.

With that said, mikehunt pointing at another school violence situation (in another country no less) and saying "see, it happens without guns" makes no sense since you can make the same point with ANY violent act that does not involve guns. That's really no proof of anything since, no duh, non-gun violence happened in a non-gun country.

It's as incomprehensible as saying that guns cause school violence. Sorry, but making no sense to disapprove something else that makes no sense...well, makes no sense.
Old 02-14-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, no matter what weapons they ban, people are gonna find different ways to physically hurt each other.

If used properly, you can kill someone with a pencil.

Knives were banned at my school (as most schools) yet in our "Culinary Techniques" class we had full access to the sharpest butcher knives available. Heh.
Old 02-14-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

and as for the title, it was a knee jerk thing because a lot of people seem to think that without guns there'd be none of these public random killngs
Yeah . . . you'd better be careful. Keep posting like that and you may get yourself suspended.

Oh, wait . . .
Old 02-14-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To be fair, it is a lot easier to kill a couple of people with a firearm than a knife.
Old 02-14-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
To be fair, it is a lot easier to kill a couple of people with a firearm than a knife.

I'm not sure I want to know how you wnow that . . .

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.