Reload this Page >

Hit and Run Irony

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Hit and Run Irony

Old 02-14-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hit and Run Irony

This is my first thread in the Otter Forum, but someone pointed out to me that people might find this story amusing...

So my wife and I bought a new car last week. 2004 Grand Am SE, red, kinda sporty. Nice for us. Bought it on Friday (the 4th). It's my wife's car. Since we have had trouble with people breaking into cars in the alley behind our house where our driveway is, she has been parking it in the street out in front of the house.

So Thursday night (10th), we are sitting on the couch watching TV when I hear a loud CRASH out in the street. Look out the window and see a pickup truck smashed into the front left side of the new car. Shit! I get up and turn on the front porch light. The truck starts backing up. I say "I think he's going to drive off!" and open the front door. The person starts driving off, fishtailing down the somewhat slick street. I run down the stairs and start running down the sidewalk trying to see the driver or the license plate. The truck blows through a stop sign and keeps on going.

We call the police, who show up about 10-15 minutes later. As we are waiting, I am examining the tracks in the snow. It looks to my untrained eye like the person was coming the opposite way (right side of the road), completely veered across his lane and smashed into the car for no apparent reason.

Anyway, the cop shows up, asks us what happened, blah blah. As he is talking and listening, he is walking around looking at the car. By this time, my wife is fuming. She is SO pissed that her new car is messed up. I'm pretty upset too. As we are seething in the snow, the cop suddenly bends down by the curb and pulls something out from under the car. "Is this your license plate?" he asks. "No, we've only had the car 6 days. We don't have license plates yet" I reply.

So apparently the guy's front license plate broke off and went under the car when he hit it. So the cop took the plate and added it to the police report. Can't wait to find out who did it.
Old 02-14-05, 02:12 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's great (not that your car got hit, of course).
Old 02-14-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So it's not safe to park it behind the house and not safe to park it in front of the house... time to move.
Old 02-14-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you think that the person hit your car on purpose, or lost control on the slick road and just happened to hit it?

Also, was the plate from the truck? Have the police told you anything else? What’s the estimate to repair the Grand Am?

And if the police do have the guy who did it, don't forget about "diminished value".

Last edited by Heat; 02-14-05 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-14-05, 03:34 PM

sorry about the car...but at least you get the satisfaction that it will be worse for the owner of the truck.
Old 02-14-05, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod
So it's not safe to park it behind the house and not safe to park it in front of the house... time to move.
The neighborhood is pretty good, actually. Just have some punk kids who wander through the alleys. To be honest, the windows were cracked open in the car both times it was broken into in the alley.

Originally Posted by Heat
Do you think that the person hit your car on purpose, or lost control on the slick road and just happened to hit it?

Also, was the plate from the truck? Have the police told you anything else? What’s the estimate to repair the Grand Am?

And if the police do have the guy who did it, don't forget about "diminished value".
I don't think he did it on purpose, but it wasn't THAT slick. He was sort of swerving and stuff when he drove away. I was thinking "drunk driver" myself.

The officer who was assigned our case is out of the office today. I have to call back tomorrow. Haven't gotten an estimate on the Grand Am yet. Hopefully have that in the next day or so. Our deductible is $250, so I definitely want to get that back.

I'm not familiar with "diminished value".
Old 02-14-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow! Just like on CSI!
Old 02-14-05, 06:07 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully the truck that hit your car wasn't stolen, might be harder to find the actual driver. But I hope they do find the driver or at least the person is found dead (that's what they deserve).

Yep I get angry when I hear stories like this.
Old 02-14-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thats not irony.
Old 02-14-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd prefer that this thread were about Hit and Run Ironing.
Old 02-14-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joltaddict
Thats not irony.
Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?
Old 02-14-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was driving in the mountains and came up behind a car stopped at a light. Imprinted in the snow above his bumper was the perfect impression of a license plate. The impression was exactly in the spot where his license plate would be, only it was backwards - just like somebody had tapped him in the rear.

Not to make light of your incident, Xander, but it was kind of funny at the time.
Old 02-14-05, 06:37 PM

Sorry about your car (and I thank god I have a 2 car garage).
Old 02-14-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Diminished Value" is the amount of money the car 'loses' because it was in an accident. If you try and sell it to a dealership in a couple years, they will see it was in an accident and will give you XX% less because it was in an accident. The idea is that you don't have to eat the difference when you go and try and sell the car.

-pedagogue
Old 02-14-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, look into the concept of diminished value and ask for it if the police find the guy (or girl) responsible. If you don't ask for it you aren't going to get it because the other company won't be offering it to you.
Old 02-14-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joltaddict
Thats not irony.
Most definitely, the events cannot be described as, "displaying a disparity between that which is expected and happens." This is more of an amusing anecdote of personal vinidictation.
Old 02-15-05, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's ironic now because you just posted about an ironic post not being ironic.
Old 02-15-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for posting...classic story.

I love it when criminals leave evidence at the scene and its easy to track
Old 02-15-05, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
It's ironic now because you just posted about an ironic post not being ironic.
Like how Alanis' song "Ironic" is, actually, ironic since it contains lots of amusing anecdotes that AREN'T ironic.
Old 02-15-05, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk God

thats great!

i had a drunk smash into my car, while it was sitting in my driveway one night..
I just happened to be walking by the living room window and heard a noise outside.. I looked out, and saw him swerve into a ditch, the back axle and wheels break off.. then his truck skid and shot sparks everywhere for another 40 feet and slam sideways into my mustang...
I was pissed.. and he didnt even have insurance (which of course is required by law here).. Took a month before the shop got my car all finished (but they did reduce my cost so I didnt end up paying the deductible), and in that time, Corrie went into labor with Griffin (while she was at the hospital for a checkup), and I was trapped at home for hours until i could find a ride.
Old 02-15-05, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why is it that ever since the Alanis song, everyone is an expert on the definition of ironic?
Old 02-15-05, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

interested in finding out how this turns out
Old 02-15-05, 11:03 AM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
My brother was involved in a hit and run, thanks to witnesses, the police found who owned the car...

...but of course, it had been reported "stolen" that afternoon (after the crash...)
Old 02-15-05, 11:05 AM

incongruity between what is expected and what occurs
I expected a standard "hit and run" where the driver is not identifed and gets away. Instead, he dropped his license plate so I could identify him. That's not irony?

Update: The officer assigned to my case called me last night and said they have identified the plate as a person who lives in my neighborhood (sort of, a few blocks away) and have turned the info over to my insurance. The car hadn't been reported stolen, so it looks like this may be the guy. As long as he has insurance, this will probably be pretty painless.
Old 02-15-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xander
I expected a standard "hit and run" where the driver is not identifed and gets away. Instead, he dropped his license plate so I could identify him. That's not irony?

Update: The officer assigned to my case called me last night and said they have identified the plate as a person who lives in my neighborhood (sort of, a few blocks away) and have turned the info over to my insurance. The car hadn't been reported stolen, so it looks like this may be the guy. As long as he has insurance, this will probably be pretty painless.
Yeah, except he committed a crime.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.