Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Mall shooting in Kingston, NY

Old 02-13-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mall shooting in Kingston, NY

Police respond to mall shooting in Kingston

February 13, 2005, 4:44 PM EST
KINGSTON, N.Y. (AP) _ At least two gunmen fired shots inside a mall Sunday, authorities said.

Police said the gunmen entered the Hudson Valley Mall and started shooting. One gunman was taken into police custody.

The mall was in lockdown and several helicopters and police teams surrounded the area.

"We're a relatively peaceful community," Kingston Mayor James Sottile told Fox News.

Kingston is 52 miles south of Albany.

This was all I could find online but CNN is reporting has breaking news.

Last edited by Just Lurking; 02-13-05 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-13-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow.. I know that the mall had gone downhill, but shooting?!
Old 02-13-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
foxnews just covered the press conference. supposedly 1 shooter
Old 02-13-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Single shooter, 24 years old. Started shooting an assault rifle in Best Buy and was captured by mall employees after running out of ammo.
Old 02-13-05, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by nazz
Single shooter, 24 years old. Started shooting an assault rifle in Best Buy
I'll pay 100 to 1 that he's an active member here at DVDTalk.
Old 02-13-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The shooter was a pissed off Best Buy customer. I have not heard of any serious injuries so that should liven up the thread
Old 02-13-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Yeah. I was half expecting a move to the Store Forum.
Old 02-13-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
it couldn't be an AW, they're illegal in NY
Old 02-13-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
... So true
Old 02-13-05, 09:49 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did he scream "Fool Screeeeeeeeeeeeeen!!!!!!" before opening fire?
Old 02-13-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok....where is the www.bestbuysux.org guy?

-pedagogue
Old 02-13-05, 10:50 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully no one got hurt......understandable that he shot at best buy though
Old 02-13-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

army recruiter is in critical condition with a leg wound, and someone got a non-gun shot hand wound
Old 02-13-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally Posted by mikehunt
Old 02-14-05, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm really getting tired of the "We've always been a quiet and non-violent community" and "I would've never thought it could've happened here" statements.
Old 02-14-05, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Exactly what I thought. Obviously they now need even tougher gun laws.
Old 02-14-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I'm really getting tired of the "We've always been a quiet and non-violent community" and "I would've never thought it could've happened here" statements.
Best Buy is the only tech store in a 30 mile radius.

a piece of conversation overheard outside the mall, "see, THIS is why we don't have nice things!"
Old 02-14-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

and the brady bullshit is already being spewed
http://www.bradycampaign.org/press/r...hp?release=623
ULSTER, NEW YORK MALL SHOOTING:
JUST ANOTHER DAY IN AMERICA
For Immediate Release:
02-14-2005

Contact Communications:
(202) 898-0792
Washington, D.C. - Robert Bonelli, 24, a troubled young adult with a collection of Columbine memorabilia in his home, opened fire Sunday on shoppers at a mall in New York with an AK-47 clone assault rifle.

Where did he get the gun? Wherever he wanted to. On the same day he walked into the Best Buy store at the Hudson Valley Mall, gun sellers across America were offering weapons so powerful and advanced(1) that they have been the subject of recent global security complaints by the United States government.

The same day Bonelli shot two shoppers in New York, arms merchants at a gun show just outside Washington D.C. offered for sale not only AK-47s and other clones like the Hesse Arms Model 47 Bonelli brandished, but also 50-caliber sniper rifles, capable of penetrating an airliner or a nuclear reactor from half a mile away(2) and costing $25,000. Michael Barnes, the President of the Brady Campaign, attended "The Nation's Gun Show" at the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly, Virginia and inspected the 50-caliber rifle. Barnes noted that not only were many AK-47s and Ak-47 copycat weapons for sale, but also conversion kits to allow the guns to operate as machine guns.(3)

While these weapons are available readily across America, American foreign policy experts have been pursuing complaints about sales of the same weapons to Venezuela and Iran. Last Friday, the Washington Times reported that the U.S. has lodged a formal protest with Russia for agreeing to sell more than 100,000 AK-47 assault rifles to the government of Venezuela. The action comes just four months after the Bush Administration let the ten-year-old Federal ban on assault weapons, including the AK-47, expire.(4) And today the Associated Press reported that the U.S. is concerned about an Austrian company selling 800 50-caliber rifles to Iran. The weapon is legal in the U.S., except in California.

"It is painful hypocrisy," said Barnes, a former member of Congress with considerable expertise in foreign affairs. "It must be very difficult for our State Department negotiators to try to explain our objections to these global transactions with a straight face."
(1) advanced? the 47 in AK47 stands for 1947. and the ammo is uses is about as powerful as .30-30 a common lever action deer round

(2) complete and utter BULLSHIT on the reactor part, for one thing a reactor is behind multiple feet thick reinforced concrete. and the part about penetrating an airliner at 880 yards will also apply to almost all hunting rifle rounds.

(3) extremely doubtful. ATF would be all over that shit. ATF sends undercover agents into all decent sized shows, especially ones within a short drive from DC. and if ATF isn't there local and state police are

(4) and the gun they claim was used, was completely legal under the federal AWB, a basically word for word copy (minus the sunset clause) of which is in effect in NY

not to mention the AKs russia is selling are fully automatic while the ones sold here are semi automatic, but the brady campaign has never let facts get in their way. in fact AK47s aren't sold in the US, either before during or after the AWB, as an AK47 is a fully automatic weapon. clones of them are sold, but they have different names, and are not full auto. well there are small numbers of real AK47s from before 1986 that are available, for a huge background check, law enforcement sign off, and $200 tax

Last edited by mikehunt; 02-14-05 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-14-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

and the brady bullshit is already being spewed
http://www.bradycampaign.org/press/r...hp?release=623
(4) and the gun they claim was used, was completely legal under the federal AWB, a basically word for word copy (minus the sunset clause) of which is in effect in NY

not to mention the AKs russia is selling are fully automatic while the ones sold here are semi automatic, but the brady campaign has never let facts get in their way. in fact AK47s aren't sold in the US, either before during or after the AWB, as an AK47 is a fully automatic weapon. clones of them are sold, but they have different names, and are not full auto. well there are small numbers of real AK47s from before 1986 that are available, for a huge background check, law enforcement sign off, and $200 tax
They're shameless. The Brady campaign seems to follow this pattern:

1) Create a new term of art ("assault weapons") and define that term.
2) Create a law banning "assault weapons."
3) Then start calling other things, outside of the definition that you just created, "assault weapons."
4) Use the fact that these new things are now also called "assault weapons" as a justification for why they should be banned.
5) Once you've broadened the scope of the definition of "assault weapons", repeat.