Reload this Page >

Home Security Ideas?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Home Security Ideas?

Old 02-13-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home Security Ideas?

What do you guys use for home security? Affordable options are what I'm looking for, but more more expensive ones will be helpful as well.

TIA!
Old 02-13-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I am home:

When I am away:

(not a picture of mine but you get the idea)

When I am away and the dogs have to be kenneled, I keep stuff that is very difficult to replace in hard to find and/or very secure places. I'd much rather a burglar break in and take my HT components and what not than something deeply personal and difficult to replace. I also hide the CPUs on the two PCs that contain a lot of personal data. Also hidden in my home in a place where it is unlikely to be damaged by fire is a CD with models and serial numbers and/or pictures of everything of substantial value. Really valuable papers are in our safe deposit box.
Old 02-13-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by JustinS
When I am home:

similar idea, keep it in a holster strapped to my bed near my head

haven't rigged up anything for my 870 yet, I'm thinking some sort of rig to hold it under my bed (it's a loft bed) or on the "outside" side of the railing

my parents used a local home security company for my grandparents' house after my grandfather died and my grandmother was in an assisted living place. my mom accidentally set it off once when they first got it and the security company called and even though my mom answered the phone and gave them the right code word a cop car still showed up within a few minutes to confirm it wasn't a robbery. so I think local security companies that have a good reputation are viable solutions too for when you're away or if you don't have/want a gun
Old 02-13-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get yourself one of these:

Old 02-13-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a sweet security set-up:

ADT
2 dogs(the Rottweiler is "Roscoe" and the German Shep is "Dario")
1 Shotgun(usually just loaded w/ rocksalt)

...and 1 baseball bat. This will be my weapon of choice, right after crackhead Bob is chewed into hamburger.
Old 02-13-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-13-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lots of gun responses I see...

I was thinking more along the lines of things to deter theives from even getting into the house in the first place, rather than something to make them leave once they're inside.
Old 02-13-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nosebleed

I was thinking more along the lines of things to deter theives from even getting into the house in the first place, rather than something to make them leave once they're inside.

Easy. Keep your gun on the window sill.
Old 02-13-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
similar idea, keep it in a holster strapped to my bed near my head
Nice. I keep a Glock 29 myself and a M4gery with 75gr. TAP.

You can always let your house look really rundown outside. That way they won't think your worth robbing.
Old 02-13-05, 10:46 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In my new place I'm going to get an alarm that is monitored. The installation is free, but you're locked in for 4 years and its $30 a month. The way I see it $1 day for some peace of mind.
Bascially if someone breaks in there's an alarm and a two way communication between an operator or whoever is in the house. If the right password is not given then the cops are sent.
Old 02-13-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Put your outside lights on a timer to go on and off randomly. Also, keep all plants (trees, flowers, bushes) away from your windows and doors so you don't give would-be thieves a good place to break into your home without being seen. Instead, plant bushes that are sparse and short - something with thorns on them, right under windows.

If you don't have a dog, and you don't want one, make it look like you have one by putting up signs (Beware of guard dog), toys in the yard and they make tapes of a dog barking, too.

If you buy something expensive, don't put the box in your garbage or recycle bin - it's a neon light to thieves telling them what's inside. Keep the good stuff away from windows and don't brag about what you have around people you don't know (or do know depending on your friends. )

These are some of the things we've been told by our local police officers during neighborhood watch meetings. Also, get to know your neighbors and let them know (if you trust them) when you're going to be gone for more than a day or two.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-13-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

motion activated spotlights
Old 02-13-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Manco
Nice. I keep a Glock 29 myself and a M4gery with 75gr. TAP.
I'm kind of afraid of the noise from my AR inside. plus right now it's not really set up as a house gun, scope and bipod kind of hinder it for that
Old 02-13-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Motion sensor lights.
Trim bushes that are near the home (or get those bushes with ultra sharp leaves if you don't have kids.
Make sure your deadbolts have a good long throw
Make sure all outside doors are solid core or metal or fiberglass
Put interior lights on timers when out of town and have a neighbor pick up the paper and mail
Make sure your insurance is up to date, let your company know if you have a big purchase, and keep a video/photo/paper inventory away from the house (keep in at the bank, family members home, etc)
You can call your local police and often they will do a free or very low cost home inspection and give you suggestions
Old 02-13-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lots and lots of all sorts of tips here,

http://www.statefarm.com/consumer/vh....htm#homesecur
Old 02-13-05, 11:32 PM

I just built a moat. Also a cow catapult for those who approach the outer wall.
Old 02-13-05, 11:36 PM

haven't rigged up anything for my 870 yet, I'm thinking some sort of rig to hold it under my bed (it's a loft bed) or on the "outside" side of the railing
Call it what you want, TOP BUNK.

Old 02-13-05, 11:53 PM

or

Old 02-14-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by heimerSWT
Call it what you want, TOP BUNK.

but at least it is in my own apartment and not my parents' house with my brother on the lower bunk
Old 02-14-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Steal one of these and put it in front of your house. That's all you need.

My mother-in-law payed big bucks for the security system and gave me an extra sign.

Most burglars just skip past a house with this so all you need is the sign.
Old 02-14-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wed. night watch "It Takes A Thief" on Discovery Channel. 10 pm EDT.

They send two ex-thieves to a house and get approval to rob it. They trash the place and get the goods. Then they devise better security for the people. Saw one of these shows today.
Old 02-14-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mopower
That's a fairly irresponsible home defense weapon, unless of course you live 500+ yards from your nearest neighbor.
Old 02-14-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Good stuff. The dog dish in front of the door is cheap. Motion lights are cheap. The ADT sign can probably be bought off ebay http://search.ebay.com/ADT-sign_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8 and in case the get into the house, I have replica of Frodo's sword hanging next to my bed. I don't mess with guns, personally. I have them, but they aren't accessible in case of a break in.
Old 02-14-05, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JustinS
That's a fairly irresponsible home defense weapon, unless of course you live 500+ yards from your nearest neighbor.
not really any more so than any gun unless the miss goes through a window, but in that case a miss from a handgun that goes through a window is just as likely to hit a neighboring house in most areas
Old 02-14-05, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

not really any more so than any gun unless the miss goes through a window, but in that case a miss from a handgun that goes through a window is just as likely to hit a neighboring house in most areas
Your average handgun caliber has a much lower muzzle velocity and a much lower effective range than 5.56. Your average 2A body armor will stop just about any common handgun caliber cold but .223 will go through it like butter, even the trauma plate from close range. That ought to tell you something. Center fire rifles, in general, are not a good home defense choice.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.