Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking to have security system installed. I need advice from the otters.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-13-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be buying a house and I want to install a security system. I'm looking for any advice you otters can give me as far as what equipment to get, what to avoid, and what alarm company is the best out there.
Just so you guys know it is a 3 bed 2 bath home with a 2 car attached garage(with an electric door opener). It has 1 sliding glass door, between 7 to 10 windows. A front door, a back door (connects the back of the garage to the back yard) and a gated, fenced in back yard (I'll be replaceing the current low chain-link fence with a higher wood privacy fence).
Old 02-13-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

ADT is the best known. That does not mean that that they are the best though. Be careful with locking yourself into a multi-year contract. A neighbor of mine was thrilled to get the entire system "free". Only problem was that they signed a 5 year contract at a high monitoring rate.

Call the local Better Business Bureau and inquire as to who is a member in your area. Also check with other people in you area (friends, family, co-workers, etc) and find out who they use and recommend.

Another option if you are inclined to do so, is to install one yourself. I personally did this and am very happy. It's exactly what I wanted and is tied in with my home automation system.

Sonicflood
Old 02-13-05, 02:48 PM

another option is to install security bars/doors on some of the key areas of your home. when my house was broken into, the police explained to me that my home was an easy target because i had no visible external devices to keep the thieves from trying to get in in the first place.

it makes sense that an extra layer that must be penetrated first would be a great deterrant, with the security system being a second or third layer if needed...

i decided to build my own security bars & doors at roughly 1/3 the price of purchasing them (plus my labor, which i enjoy anyway) and have them done and installed exactly how i wanted them. i also self installed a security system like sonicflood...

btw sonicflood, mind if ask what brand/system you went with that is tied into your home automation. i imagine something like x10 or similiar?
Old 02-13-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dyevin:

It's a Napco Gemini P9600.
Old 02-14-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You could save your money and just put an ADT sign in front. That's pretty much all you need. Are you in a bad neighborhood?
Old 02-14-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Safetouch and have had no complaints.
Old 02-14-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ADT is the way to go. My parents' house has one with exterior oudspeakers that yells "Intruder! Intruder! Leave the area!"

It went off the first week and scared the bejesus out of them and their neighbor.

I'll be getting ADT in my new home in May. A sign may be a deterrent, but I want more than that.
Old 02-14-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mike - you live in tallahassee?? ME TOO!
Old 02-14-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just so you know that (depending on where you live) home security alarm calls are given a fairly low priority by the police. Basically, they get to it when they get to it. If you think that 30 seconds after someone breaks into your home the SWAT team is gonna be all over it, well that ain't quite the way it works.
Old 02-14-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd be more concerned with ME knowing someone is in my house when I'm asleep, or upon returning from work/vacation. Once the ADT operator calls to see what the problem is, and I don't answer the phone b/c some dude has a knife to my throat, the police will come. Whether its 30 seconds or 15 minutes later, I'll feel better knowing they're on their way.
Old 02-14-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well if I am home when some fool has the misfortune to have chosen my house to break into, I'll have the situation covered until such time as the police might arrive.

Old 02-14-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I'm not a gun man, I've read many cases of home invasions where the poor people inside had ZERO time to react. If you're in bed, you'll never get your hands on the gun. But I hope you do.
Old 02-14-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Toad
While I'm not a gun man, I've read many cases of home invasions where the poor people inside had ZERO time to react. If you're in bed, you'll never get your hands on the gun. But I hope you do.
Yeah thanks, I hope so too.
I'm thinking here of more along the scenario of me in bed being awakened by things that go bump in the night. In that case I'll have time to go into a defense mode. While it's true that if I'm awakened by someone standing next to my bed with a gun already pointed at my head, then I am surely in trouble.
However, in that instance, police being on their way, whether they are 1 min or 15 mins. out, will not help me much either. Neither them nor me is faster then a bullet.

The same goes for a push in type home invasion. If they get the drop on me and are determined to do me harm, the police being alerted via my security system and on their way will arrive too late to help.

Last edited by Phil L.; 02-14-05 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-14-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

True; guess it all comes down to whatever you need to get some piece of mind come nighttime.
Old 02-14-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You are right about that.
Old 02-14-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just make sure they install the sensors well. I have windows in the back with the limit type switchs, and if the wind blew hard enough, the alarm would go off. Luckily this happened during the day instead of the middle of the night.

I am not really happy with my company, (a smaller local place) and may switch to ADT of Binks when my current contract expires.
Old 02-14-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw one news show on home security and had some former thieves talk to them. They said every time they saw a sign they moved on.

The show also found that the police were slow to arrive when alarms were tripped and those paying for private security patrols were usually let down when in time of need. Some of the companies would take 15 min. and the guards said they weren't payed enough to risk their lives so they wait for the real police.

How about more gun talk?
Old 02-14-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Toad
Mike - you live in tallahassee?? ME TOO!
Hi neighbor!

Why does your location read Montana?

Safetouch doesn't call your phone, they come on over the alarm system (which is a loud speakerphone) and ask you if everything is alright, including your name and passcode. You can always give the wrong passcode, they will say thank you, mute the speaker phone, and call the coppers. One night when I was doing all night server upgrades, my stepdaughter set it off. My wife wasn't awake fast enough to respond to the voice on the speaker and the cops showed up in less than 5 minutes.
Old 02-14-05, 05:58 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does ADT come with 2 way communication between whoever is in the house and an operator?
I'm living in Canada and was thinking about getting Alarm Force, anyone have experience with this security provider?