Reload this Page >

Looking for old Radio Free Europe audio from WWII

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-13-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for audio clips (or recreations) of Radio Free Europe broadcasts from WWII. I volunteered myself to do sound effects for a local production of The Diary of Anne Frank, and there are a couple of places in the script where Radio Free Europe is playing. The director sent for a CD that has most of the other audio we'll need, but apparently it doesn't include the Radio Free Europe stuff. Help?

Brian
Old 02-13-05, 06:39 AM
Suspended

http://www.earthstation1.com/wwii.html
Old 02-13-05, 11:34 AM

Sweet! Thank you!

Brian
Old 02-13-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for that link. I was browsing through that site when I came across the "Tokyo Rose" page. I had seen the stuff in movies, but it's nice to know the whole story. They had a 60 Minutes segment from 1976 in RealVideo format.
Old 02-13-05, 01:58 PM

I found the Eisenhower speech I was looking for on that site, the one he gave to Western Europe on the day of the invasion. I haven't been able to find the BBC Radio Europe clips though. There is also a snippet of a speech from Hitler.

I'll just post the lines from the script here. These may be on the FX CD we're getting.

Hitler: ...und für das wir nun einzutreten entschlossen sind, bus zum letzen Hauch, dieses Deutschland der deutschen Volksgemeinschaft aller deutschen Stämme, das grossdeutsche Reich, Seig Heil!
...and which we are now determined to defend to our last breath, this Germany of the German union of all German tribes, the great German empire, hail victory!
Anyone know what speech this is from?

BBC Broadcast: Good evening. This is Colin Reese Parker with the BBC Radio Europe, November twelfth. German forces yesterday entered Unoccupied France. Acting quickly in an attempt to counter the sweeping Allied gains along the southern shore of the Mediterranean, Hitler sent armored columns and infantry to occupy Vichy, France. The Vichy Regime thereby came to and end, and with it, the final pretense that part of France was a "Free Zone". The two zones, which the Germans have kept apart for so long and so cunningly, now become one, evenly covered by German military power.

Broadcast: And now a mesage from the Dutch Minister of Education
Bolkestein: History cannot be written on the basis of official documents alone. If our descendants are to understand what we as a nation have endured during these years, we need simple, everyday pieces -- a diary, letters from a forced laborer in Germany...

Rauter(Chief of SS in occupied Netherlands): All Jews must be out of the German-occupied countries before July first. The provice of Utrecht will be cleansed of Jews between April first and May first, and the provinces of North and South Holland immediately thereafter...

BBC Radio Broadcast: And so we come to the end of this broadcast from BBC Radio Europe. Till tomorrow, listeners, and we all know: "No matter how hard the times, And how heavy the separation, We are once more a day closer to the liberation!"

I don't know if any of these were actual historical broadcasts that may have been recorded, or if it's something I'll have to record myself, but if I could find any of these on the internet, that would be great.

Brian

Last edited by bdshort; 02-13-05 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-19-06, 10:43 PM

Anne Frank Recordings

Hi Brian
I am working on a production of Anne Frank currently and am having trouble finding the other recordings, as you were. I was wondering if you had any luck finding any of the other recordings asked for the in script.

Thanks
Ryan