Reload this Page >

Help: Need to replace my suspension for my car

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-12-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 95 Honda Accord EX. I don't plan to get another car for a couple of more years. The car has 88k miles and still has the original suspension. Instead of replacing the suspension with the average aftermarket company since the cost is about the same, I was looking at the performance ones. Where is a good place to buy them online and which performance brand is recommended for my car? There used to be bunch of them online but I don't know who is reliable anymore. I want a bit performance while maintaining some comfort (not too stiff or a super low ride). I was thinking of getting the Eibach springs and the Tokico shocks.
Old 02-12-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never done an install so I can't really recommend one.

Shock installs are probably around $350-$500 + $350-380 for shocks. Would you use stock springs and boots?

KYB AGX - w/ Adjustable Dampening

NB Kyb AGX
Setting and Relative Values
#1 = 100 - Same as Factory
#2 = 115 - 10~15% firmer than Factory
#3 = 172 - 50% firmer than #2
#4 = 223 - 30% firmer than #3

NA Kyb AGX
Setting and Relative Values
#1 = 95 (5% softer than Factory)
#2 = 100 (Factory damping force)
#3 = 107.5 (7.5% firmer than Factory)
#4 = 115 (15% firmer than Factory)
#5 = 143.5 (43.5% firmer than Factory)
#6 = 172 (72% firmer than Factory)
#7 = 197.5 (97.5 firmer than Factory)
#8 = 223 (123 % firmer than Factory)
Old 02-12-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The adjustable shocks are too expensive for my need. I was thinking of just getting the non-adjustable Tokico shock/strut alone with the Eibach Spring Pro-Kit that will drop the car 1.2". From the estimate, it looks like it will cost me $550. I still have to get my timing belt changed too
Old 02-12-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
If you get poorer shocks, they won't handle the additional dampening load that are necessary with the Eibachs.

Changing the shocks/struts in that car is easy as shit too, probably do it in < 2 hours.

But if you can't afford the $550 for springs and struts, how are you going to pay for the $70 alignment and $200 install?

But to answer your question, check shox.com or tirerack.com for good prices.
Old 02-12-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never said I can't afford it. btw, I was expecting to pay around $1200 to replace the suspension and timing belt.

Are you saying that the non-adjustable KYB or Tokico shocks are too weak for the Eibach springs? I am not getting the Eibach Sportline springs if that means anything. There is no way I can do it myself since I don't have the compressor to compress the springs in the struts.
Old 02-13-05, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i'm assuming you're going for the eibach pro, not sport kit.the eibach pro's aren't as stiff as other springs, but you'd still want shocks that are a little stiffer to match the springs. i'd get adjustable shocks, as you can change them to what you want, and also, after a while, they'll get a little soft, and you can crank it up later, instead of having to buy new shocks.

generally speaking, i've heard that the eibachs ride fairly similar to stock, but gives a little better handling.

personally, i'm running the neuspeed sofsports (rated at .75" drop), and the neuspeed grooved bilstein sport shocks. definately way stiffer than stock, and some people will say it's too harsh, though i like it that way, and even my mom said that she liked the way it rode.

costwise, it'll be ~200 for the springs, ~400 for the shocks, ~150-250 for install, ~70 for alignment.

if you need a strut compressor, they run around 40 or so, but places like autozone will let you borrow one for free (you have to pay a deposit, but you'll get it back when you return it). it's definately something that you can do, as long as you're a little bit mechanically inclined. i did my shocks and springs and just brought it to a place to get the alignment done.

have you looked into the koni yellow (adjustable) shocks? many people like those. also, check out a honda forum, and they'll be able to give you better info. there's a group buy for koni yellows on this other forum that i post at (not sure if they can get one for accords though):

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=138121
check out the honda forums, as there's probably GB's for suspension kits there too.

p.s. too bad you didn't ask for this earlier. i could've gotten you a good deal on some eibachs.
Old 02-13-05, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info D.Pham.

The Neuspeed/KONI shocks are too expensive for my taste, $594 for the set. The Tokico Illumina adjustable shocks goes for $449 for the set, while the Tokico non-adjustable are $299 for the set from shox.com. I'm still debating if I want to spend the extra $150 for the adjustable version for a weekend car and I plan to only keep the car for another 2-3 years. Also, I still have to allocate $300-400 for the timing belt change.

My gf's neighbor is a retired mechanic so maybe I will check with him if he has or can get access to a spring compressor. See if he can help install it too since a couple of months ago he help replaced the exhuast pipe.
Old 02-13-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i've done an eibach/kyb install on a 94 accord before.

Imho, don't go for eibach. although they do make quality products, the lowering won't look even. By that I mean the front will look higher than the rear. Although the drop does change the car's dynamics. (for the better if you like a stiffer than stock ride quality.) I love the drop eibach's pro kits did for my solara. I've upgraded to JIC coils since then and its super stiff! All for the better though
Old 02-13-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're replacing your suspension at only 88K?
Old 02-13-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What brand do you recommend then for the springs? I don't want something too stiff and I don't want to lower my car that much.
Old 02-13-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shazam
You're replacing your suspension at only 88K?
You can't always go by milage. Hell, my friend's 94 Accord which has 120k handles better than my 95 Accord @ 88k.
Old 02-13-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zuffy
Thanks for the info D.Pham.

The Neuspeed/KONI shocks are too expensive for my taste, $594 for the set. The Tokico Illumina adjustable shocks goes for $449 for the set, while the Tokico non-adjustable are $299 for the set from shox.com. I'm still debating if I want to spend the extra $150 for the adjustable version for a weekend car and I plan to only keep the car for another 2-3 years. Also, I still have to allocate $300-400 for the timing belt change.

My gf's neighbor is a retired mechanic so maybe I will check with him if he has or can get access to a spring compressor. See if he can help install it too since a couple of months ago he help replaced the exhuast pipe.
well, if you only plan to keep it 2-3 years, at 8k per year, you could swing for the non-adjustable shocks with the eibach pro's. of course, mileage isn't as much of an issue, as the roads you drive on. anyway, eibach's should ride pretty nicely, and won't drop too much. the neuspeed sofsports should give slightly less of a drop, but they'll ride harsher than the eibachs. also, don't get sport shocks, if you're looking for a plush ride.
Old 02-13-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just dont forget to slap one of These on to enhance your performance and speed! V-TEK fo' shizzle!
Old 02-13-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, my car is VTECH and no I'm not ricing out my car.
Old 02-13-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think there's a clause in your purchase agreement that requires you to put on at least 3 stickers and a giant spoiler on your car.
Old 02-13-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you care enough to correct me, you are allready a ricer
Old 02-13-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by uli2000
If you care enough to correct me, you are allready a ricer
I was just correcting your threadcrapping.
Old 02-14-05, 11:02 AM

Eibach is the way to go then. It gives the car a comfortable ride. Just a little teeter'd, thats all.
Old 02-14-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mole177
It gives the car a comfortable ride. Just a little teeter'd, thats all.
That's fine with me. The car looks like crap anyway.

Man, trying to get a question answer in one of those Honda forums is harder than asking a girl out. I'm trying to purchase the Tokico struts but some onlines listed the struts for all trims and some listed as all trims except non-vtec. Why the fuck is it so difficult to get the right parts for my car?
Old 02-14-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's fine with me. The car looks like crap anyway.

Man, trying to get a question answer in one of those Honda forums is harder than asking a girl out. I'm trying to purchase the Tokico struts but some onlines listed the struts for all trims and some listed as all trims except non-vtec. Why the fuck is it so difficult to get the right parts for my car?
maybe check the part # with the manufacturer's website to verify
Old 02-15-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tokico's website is useless. All those members that has the same car as me can't answer a friggin simple question. It's either yes, it works for me or no, it does not.
Old 02-15-05, 12:36 AM

Last I remember, about 3 years ago any Honda forums were no help.
Old 02-15-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

sorry to hear that. the car club that i belong to has given me a lot of help.
Old 02-15-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In the comptuer information age, we often forget how we did things just a few short years ago

If you have a question if this product will work with your vehicle, either CALL (yes use the telephone) the manufacturer OR call a dealer that sells the parts (they will both have fit charts for part number lookups).

here is a place that sells Tokico with a toll free number

http://www.shox.com/contact.php4

(800) 683-2890

and on Tokicos worthless web site, there is contact info at the top of this page

http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/tokico_company.html

800-548-2549 - also a toll free number.

My guess is you can have your questions answered correctly in a matter of minutes.
Old 02-15-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK. It's took me more than a few minutes for the calls Anyway, Tokico confirmed that 90-97 Accords with VTEC engine will not work with their shocks/struts.

Now, I've gotta find another brand that will work.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.