Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the best No Limit Hold'em free software w/o spyware?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-12-05, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to play some free poker online, and I know that a bunch of sites have free software (that I'm sure they encourage you to upgrade to playing for real money). Trouble is, last time I downloaded one or two of these (a year ago or two), it was full of spyware and a pain to get fixed. I tried playing Yahoo Poker last night, but it was very slow and with very small limits, every hand took over 10 minutes to play.

Can anyone recommend any free software that allows you to play No Limit Texas Hold'em without spyware? If such a thing doesn't exist, what are some of the best software packages out there?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Play at PokerRoom.com. You don't have to download anything at all so long as you are just playing for play money.

On a related note, which sites have software that can be installed on Linux or a Mac?
Old 02-12-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

pokerstars -- you dl the client and set up an account. you are then given an account to play with "play" money.

kms
Old 02-12-05, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the PokerRoom suggestion. That was pretty much what I'm looking for. No download (besides Java), and you can play NL hold'em!
Old 02-12-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Silly Burrito
Thanks for the PokerRoom suggestion. That was pretty much what I'm looking for. No download (besides Java), and you can play NL hold'em!
I just played $25-$50 play money there for an hour and, I swear to God, have never played with a bigger table of fools in my life. Even for play money it was amazing.
Old 02-12-05, 04:54 PM

It's a lot easier to go all in when it's play money!
Old 02-13-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Silly Burrito
It's a lot easier to go all in when it's play money!
That's the thing. You can normally get an honest game (as honest as a real money low-limit table anyway) playing higher-stakes play money. PokerRoom, like many of the play money interfaces, starts players off with $1000. However, unlike a lot of play money rooms, they offer tons of different levels of play for play money. When you go to high-limit tables and play against a lot of people with $6-7000 in play money or more, it is often a safe assumption that these players know at least something about how to play the game or they probably would not have gotten their bankroll up that high to begin with.

I have played at PokerRoom for a long time now and have never seen so much bad play at one higher limit table as I did yesterday afternoon.