Reload this Page >

Workout Questions for a new guy.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-11-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive just started using my gym at school exclusively.I'd use to just play ball, but now I use the whole gym.My question is, are there any good websites that give you good advice on workout plans such as what machines to use and/number of reps etc..or what level (as in how much you can lift) you should be at. I dont plan on bench pressing cuz I wont have a partner with me so I will using the machines (butterfly etc..). Would those machines be just as effective. Id also like to know which machine is the same as a bench press, if someone were to ask me how much can I bench, which machine would replicate that process.Lastly, how many reps constitue as your max when bench pressing (Ive heard 1 but some have told me more than that).

PS I plan to work on all parts of my body and will probably hit the the gym between 2-4 times per week.
Old 02-11-05, 09:56 PM

Personally, I'd avoid the machines as your primary use of fitness. Machines only complement free weights, -they arent substitutes.

If you're not confident with benching with the olympic bar (which is very understandable for beginners), why not use the dumbells? They'll teach you excellent form and build your strength up.
Old 02-12-05, 11:42 AM

This website has some great stuff!

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Just click on the exercise side of the menu on the body part you want to work and they'll show you a variety of different exercises you can do....both machine and free weights.
Old 02-12-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

start light. light enough where that you dont need a spotter.

if you've never done any work out using the olym bar, seek a friend or teacher that knows how to use it and can teach you how to use it.

the only stack weight i use are cables and lat pull. sometimes bicep, but other than that all free weight.
Old 02-12-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree with kennyx. With many machines, there is only one plane of motion. With an olympic barbell, there's two, and with dumbbells, there's three. This just means that using dumbells or the bar will translate into real world strength better than the machine. Who cares if you can bench 350 on a Smith machine if you can't do 200 with a bar?

As for worrying about a spotter, both kennyx and Mole177 have the right idea. As you become more experienced as a lifter, the time will come when you will know what you are capable of lifting, and a spotter will only be necessary if you are trying to break through a pyschological barrier.
Old 02-12-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally, I'd just do stuff until you're sore, then move onto the next thing. And run too.

That has to be as good as any "plan"
Old 02-12-05, 03:51 PM

Congrats on the sex change operation!
Old 02-12-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

*shakes fist* Damn you for beating me to that joke!

das
Old 02-12-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are no machines that can replicate a free weight bench.

If you're uncomfortable with using a barbell (as one person said earlier, it's understandable for a beginner) try using dumbells for flat and inclined chest workouts.

But, if machines are your thing, stay clear of the ones that use chains and head straight to the ones that use free weights and move as all one unit - you get a much better workout on those IMO but the chain machines are good for workouts like trciep pulldowns, curling, & some shoulder exercises.

Good luck.
Old 02-12-05, 04:28 PM

is it normal to not be able to put up the same weight with the olym bar and free weights?

i rep 205 on the bar but can only do 75s with free weights.
Old 02-12-05, 05:53 PM

Yes, that is perfectly normal. As I touched on in post number 5, dumbbells can move in three directions: up and down, left and right, and forward and backward. Generally speaking, the barbell moves in two directions, up and down, and forward and backward. The dumbbells require more muscle groups for a sustained, controlled movement. Since more muscle is used for control, less can be used for work. You will always be able to lift more with the barbell than the dumbbell, so don't worry about trying to catch up.
Old 02-12-05, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by evitagen
Yes, that is perfectly normal. As I touched on in post number 5, dumbbells can move in three directions: up and down, left and right, and forward and backward. Generally speaking, the barbell moves in two directions, up and down, and forward and backward. The dumbbells require more muscle groups for a sustained, controlled movement. Since more muscle is used for control, less can be used for work. You will always be able to lift more with the barbell than the dumbbell, so don't worry about trying to catch up.
thanks! for the longest time, i thought i had bad form on the bar
Old 02-12-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To add to the workout questions...What are the benefits of a sauna and steam room? Are they just for gyms to say "look, we have a sauna and a steam room" or do they serve a much higher purpose. I assume they are for relaxing and calming your muscles after a workout, but I was wondering if there are any other benefits.
Old 02-12-05, 09:09 PM

The purpose is to sweat, which is really not a good idea after you have worked out and are dehydrated. Some say that heat is good after a workout, because heat supposedly opens the blood vessels, allowing more nutrients to enter, facilitating protein synthesis. I'd say having more water in the cells is more important, though.
Old 02-13-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Congrats on the sex change operation!
I guessed I had that coming!
Old 02-14-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only times i hit the sauna is when i dont work out.

I normally drop in there after taking a swim though. Gets all those dirty skin cells off.