Reload this Page >

Suggest some back exercises!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-11-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

30 approaches. The body doesn't act like it used to. Anytime I lift anything or scrub anything, I have lower back pain. For days. So obviously the muscles are freaking out from use. Other than using my Gazelle (that exercise machine), can anyone recommend some good exercises and stretches to keep my lower back limber....without necessitating a move to "Mature?"
Old 02-11-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all, if it's sore right now, rest it. You don't want to put any additional strain on it.

I've been through PT for this, so I can suggest a few ideas.

One Exercise:
Lay on your stomach. Put your right arm out straight in front of you. Simultaneously lift your right arm off the ground while lifting your left leg up (keeping it straight, only flexing from the hip). Do not use fast jerky motions, but slow, consistent ones. Do 2-3 sets of 10 reps, alternating legs and opposite arm with each set.

Other exercises I was shown require a bungee cord thing.

You don't want to overstress your back and building these muscles can take time. You may only want to work out these muscles three times a week. Stretching is also key, but with the back may not be a daily thing due to stress once again.

Here is a list of a lot of helpful exercises and stretches:
http://www.nismat.org/orthocor/programs/lowback.html

Most important of all: <font size=4><B>Lift with your arms, not your back! </B></font>

Be careful with your back. Every situation is different, so if you think the situation may be serious, you should see a doctor sooner than later. Normally I endorse the otter doc recommendation, but backs are a serious and delicate issue becuase the spine is invloved.

If you think it's just sore muscles from lifting and are looking for a way to strengthen the muscles and reduce pain, see my advice above and incorporate a little flexibility training as well.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 02-11-05 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-11-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Most important of all: <font size=4><B>Lift with your arms, not your back! </B></font>
Lift with your arms? How about make sure you lift with your legs? Maybe I am missing your point, but you should use your legs, not your back when lifting things off the ground.

A lot of times, weak abdominal muscles are a reason for a sore back so make sure to include them in your program.

Last edited by Ketamine; 02-12-05 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-11-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, yeah, use your legs too when you're lifting off the ground.

Just don't use your back.
Old 02-11-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does your insurance cover chiropractic care?
Old 02-11-05, 10:28 AM
Banned by request

Paging WhoGirl to thread 409314.
Old 02-11-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not only you should strengthen and strech your back, but ALSO your abdominal region.

if you work one side, the other side must be just as strong.
Old 02-11-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mole177
Not only you should strengthen and strech your back, but ALSO your abdominal region.

if you work one side, the other side must be just as strong.
Yup. Part of my problem is working my abs a lot and my back far less.
Old 02-11-05, 12:02 PM

Yup. Part of my problem is working my abs a lot and my back far less.
Depending on your abdominal routine, you could be working your back more than you think. The abdominals shorten the distance from the pelvis to the ribs. The lower back, in particular the psoas muscles [connected to your spine], then moves the entire trunk forward. This is why sit-ups are not the best exercise. I don't know if you do sit-ups, I just thought I'd throw it out there to clue in anyone considering doing 500 sit-ups to tone up.

As for PrincessT, buy an olympic barbell and weights, and deadlift several times a week [2 sets of 5 reps is all you need per workout]. I swear, if you perform the movement properly, your back pain will disappear, and you will have more trunk strength [both definitions of trunk apply]. To facilitate this strength increase, the muscles will tighten, but won't necessary get bigger. Besides, few things are as sexy as a lady who can deadlift 300 pounds.
Old 02-11-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't really suggest an exercise, but my wife complained of back pains a few years ago and a friend of hers suggested trying some yoga. Evidently it worked, because she no longer mentions anything about it, and on the plus side, she's much more flexi-bendy in bed.....
Old 02-11-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by evitagen
Depending on your abdominal routine, you could be working your back more than you think. The abdominals shorten the distance from the pelvis to the ribs. The lower back, in particular the psoas muscles [connected to your spine], then moves the entire trunk forward. This is why sit-ups are not the best exercise. I don't know if you do sit-ups, I just thought I'd throw it out there to clue in anyone considering doing 500 sit-ups to tone up.
yeah, isn't this why crunches are better for you?
Old 02-11-05, 12:41 PM

Well, somewhat. The range of motion is smaller, so that is less work for the psoas muscles. The problem with crunches is that they don't isolate the abdominals, so folks with weak abs compensate by using their lower back to complete the movement. If you can find an exercise that relaxes the lower back while contracting the abdominals, then you've got an ideal situation. Anyone who curious about this phenomenon as well as an ideal sit-up should look up "janda sit-up" on google.

Of course, there are athletes who never train their abdominals directly, because the abdominals are used as stabilizers in many exercises.

Last edited by evitagen; 02-11-05 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-11-05, 12:42 PM

I had the same type problems. I purchased one of these on the advice of my chiropractor (he's probably bummed now that I don't see him much anymore):

http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...41700%3A831520

Best money I ever spent.
Old 02-11-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dave C
I had the same type problems. I purchased one of these on the advice of my chiropractor (he's probably bummed now that I don't see him much anymore):

http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...41700%3A831520

Best money I ever spent.
That looks pretty sweet!

What types of exercises do you do in it?
Old 02-11-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That looks pretty sweet!

And does the wife join in?!?
Old 02-11-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is a list of a lot of helpful exercises and stretches:
http://www.nismat.org/orthocor/programs/lowback.html
I remember my elderly neighbor doing these. She was in a terrible car accident and had to "relearn" walking. I never did get that...maybe her muscles stopped responding to brain impulses or whatever.

Yes, I will take it easy for now. This is the third time in a month that this has happened. We're moving and well, I was dragging a huge cat tree (as tall as me) around the first time. That was the worst. Then I don't know what I did, picked something up or slipped on ice, that was a half-week of back crap. Then today I cleaned the shower. That is what I consider a normal activity and I used to do all this stuff not all that long ago with little to no consequence.

Perhaps I will put some serious consideration to how I treat or mistreat my body. And I'm going to see the doctor. Monday. Too bad he is off tomorrow and the other doc is booked solid
Old 02-11-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Make sure the Doctor prescribes physical therapy, you'll learn a lot from it.....
Old 02-11-05, 02:05 PM

That looks pretty sweet!

That's the best part about it. You don't need to waste your energy exercising. Just hang upside down like a lump and watch TV for 5 minutes.

It'll make you a little taller as an added bonus.
Old 02-11-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

5 minutes is all?

For real?
Old 02-11-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave C
That's the best part about it. You don't need to waste your energy exercising. Just hang upside down like a lump and watch TV for 5 minutes.
Oh really? Sounds to good to be true.
Old 02-11-05, 02:43 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see it mentioned but walking (any pace) and moving around. Don't sit in any position for too long. A comfortable mattress helps, too - firm but supportive. Several folks at work like memory foam - either as mattress or mattress pad.
Old 02-11-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Paging WhoGirl to thread 409314.

she's asking about excercises to help, not wonderful wonderful drugs.
Old 02-11-05, 04:49 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by costanza
she's asking about excercises to help, not wonderful wonderful drugs.
She's got a list of exercises for her back, jerk.