Reload this Page >

Best steakhouse in NYC?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Best steakhouse in NYC?

Old 02-10-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best steakhouse in NYC?

Okay, so I'm finally getting the hell out of New York after living here far too long. We're spending our last month or so doing the things we never had the time or energy to do while we lived here.

We love going to restaurants and we've eaten at some of the best restaurants in the city, so one of the things was to go to one of the great steakhouses. Obviously, the first response you get from everyone is that Peter Luger's is just the end-all/be-all of steakhouses, but I'm really not sure I want to haul my ass out to Brooklyn and spend upwards of $100 per person for rude service and atmosphere just because of reputation. For every story of culinary brilliance, I've heard about a terrible dining experience.

I know there are a few New Yorkers here and more than a few who travel here regularly, so chime in. If you're a hardcore Peter Luger fan, lay it on me. Smith & Wollensky? Cast your vote! The guy who sells meat-on-a-stick? Preach on!

Keep in mind that I am in no way afraid of laying out crazy amounts of money, but I don't want to feel like I have to put up with the crap I've put up with for three years just for a potentially overpriced, overhyped, less-than-legendary meal.

Last edited by Caoimhin; 02-10-05 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-10-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sparks...or Peter Luger.
Old 02-10-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When you've been to Sparks, have you found the service to be bad? I've read a lot of reviews that cite waits of up to 1.5+ hours even with a reservation, unless you're willing to tip the maitre d', plus a notoriously rude waitstaff unless you're a regular or big spender.
Old 02-10-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Caoimhin
When you've been to Sparks, have you found the service to be bad? I've read a lot of reviews that cite waits of up to 1.5+ hours even with a reservation, unless you're willing to tip the maitre d', plus a notoriously rude waitstaff unless you're a regular or big spender.
I waited about an hour, but the steak is ridiculously good.

How about Churrascaria Plataformahttp://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7143592/?
Old 02-10-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Sparks...or Peter Luger.
I'll second Hiro11's suggestions. You can't go wrong with either place.
Old 02-10-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been to Plataforma and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll most likely go back before we leave, but I was shooting for more of an old-school American steakhouse kind of thing.
Old 02-10-05, 11:46 AM

Ben Benson's is one of my favorites.. Going back to NYC in May, can't wait!
Old 02-10-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been to Plataforma and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll most likely go back before we leave, but I was shooting for more of an old-school American steakhouse kind of thing.
Strip House?

One more out of the ordinary suggestion: Woo Chon on 36th serves great Korean BBQ (kalbi and bulgogi). I think it's the tastiest way to prepare beef there is, give it a try sometime. Get some good kimchi bokum and chap chae to go with it.
Old 02-10-05, 11:53 AM
Banned

Ruths Chris is my favorite.
Old 02-10-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any thoughts on The Old Homestead in the Meatpacking District?
Old 02-10-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No contest. Peter Luger all the way.

Although Sparks has the whole mafia don getting gunned down thing.

Last edited by Jazzbutcher; 02-10-05 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-10-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about the service at Peter Luger? How long do you typically have to sit around waiting for your table?
Old 02-10-05, 12:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Any thoughts on The Old Homestead in the Meatpacking District?
Old Homestead is my favorite steakhouse. I've been to both Peter Luger and Churrascaria Plataforma, and I prefer Old Homestead to all of them. (although Churrascaria Plataforma is an experience in on itself - I didn't want to eat meat for a week after that )

The petite filet mignon just melts in your mouth. In addition, the garlic bread with cheese sauce appetizer is a must try. I usually top off the meal with one of their creme brueles. (getting hungry just thinking about it)

Ambiance is great. It's basically all wood, and the tables are spaced well enough so that you won't be close to bumping anyone else.

I've been there a dozen times, and the service is great & staff is friendly. Never had problems with them. You can probably go their without reservations before 8PM, but will probably need one after that if you don't want to wait. Personally, I never had to wait for a table with or without reservations.
Old 02-10-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate you all.

Now *I* want steak.

I have 15-20lbs of meat in my freezer...and not ONE steak!! I need to eat some stuff in my freezer before adding more to it.

-pedagogue
Old 02-10-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

how bout Shula's?
Old 02-10-05, 01:45 PM

Sounds like you've been reading the exact same sites I have. I'm heading to New York in the beginning of March (long weekend for my birthday), and I've been researching steak places as well. I've read so many complaints about the service at Sparks that I'm not sure I'm willing to risk it.
Old 02-10-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
I hate you all.

Now *I* want steak.

I have 15-20lbs of meat in my freezer...and not ONE steak!! I need to eat some stuff in my freezer before adding more to it.

-pedagogue
Same here.
Old 02-10-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've done Shula's and liked it, but not enough that I feel like I need to go back. Good service, though. Fairly generous portions of sides, too. Plus it's always fun to have a menu on a football.

As for Sparks, I've heard very little about service other than to say it's crap. I guess that's one of my main concerns with any of these places - I'm not willing to pay a small fortune to be treated like shit. I do that for free most of the time here anyway.
Old 02-10-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not willing to pay a small fortune for food of any kind.

Did you hear that flush? That was $350 last night.
Old 02-10-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No love for Gallagher's on West 52nd?

(I'm not that much of a meat eater, so even though I live in midtown, I really can't give any opinions - but Gallagher's is always mentioned along with the others being discussed.)
Old 02-10-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

check out V Steakhouse in the AOL Time Warner Center. I was there last year and sat one table over from Larry King and his hot women.

My wife and I went there to take out some friends as a wedding gift. We were thinking about Peter Luger in Brooklyn, but they only take cash and the decor isn't very nice.
Old 02-10-05, 05:17 PM
td

Peter Luger's
Wolfgang's
BLT Steak
Dylan Prime
Strip House

in that order! And always get porterhouse/steak for 2. So if there's 4 of you, get 2 steaks for 2 if you go to Luger's or Wolfgang's. Wolfgang's is exactly like Luger's, except they take credit card. BLT is more a newish steakhouse, excellent decor and has some excellent sides.

-td
Old 02-10-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sparks suck. I heard from my co-worker the Peter Luger in Long Island has better service and wait is shorter than the one in Brooklyn. With that say, I did not enjoy Peter Luger. Capital Grille has always been my favorite and now they have one in Manhattan. Ruths Chris is pretty good too.