Reload this Page >

Ebay - Someone who won my auction, but will not pay

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 02-06-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you usually handle an Ebay auction when someone bids for your item -- wins the auction -- but will not pay or even respond to e-mails. This was for a rear projection TV that he bid on that I was selling. I've e-mail him several times and I get no response. Do I just fill out a "negative" response and/or contact Ebay about it? This is new for me.
Old 02-06-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have that problem now -- however if you leave a negative even though they deserve it, they'll probably just neg you right back. Sucks. So, I usually just file deadbeat bidder to get my auction fees back, then relist. I may send a "second chance" offer to the losing bidders.

Info: http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/unpaid-item-process.html

Last edited by QuAcKeR; 02-06-05 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-06-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I've been an eBay user for a while, and have dealt out several negative feedbacks. Nobody gives me negative in return because I don't give them cause to.

How long have you given them to respond? If you give them a full week with no responses, you can usually get away with giving negative feedback without fear of receiving the same. If it ever does happen, eBay should be pretty good about taking it off for you. And yes, when you give the negative feedback, you can and probably should report them as well. The quicker that deadbeat bidders can be dealt with and removed from eBay, the better.
Old 02-06-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I should clarify that I haven't ever gotten neg b/c I left it -- it's just a fear I have. I did get a neg b/c "package took too long" (his fault -- he had me delay the ship date for him) so of course I negged him right back for being a moran.
Old 02-06-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe I'll just file a complaint with eBay then -- at least get my few bucks back. It's been almost a week now. What sucks is I might have sold the TV to someone legitimate because it was right before the Superbowl when a lot of people buy big screen TVs.
Old 02-06-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
eBay says it takes 7 days before you can file for unpaid auctions. That's a hell of a long time, especially when you don't hear back from them after the auction is won. They should have a mandatory 72hr reply from the buyer.

I just had another dumbass buy a DVD from me, and his email was good for like 12 hours after his auction, wanted me to ship a DVD, and then his email is now bouncing back to me.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-06-05 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-06-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, this happened to me recently too. I filed an Unpaid Item Dispute to get back the final value fee, since the auction was for about $10,500 . Once you have been credited, you can also list the item again for free. Supposedly they are supposed to get an Unpaid Item strike against their account. Whether it is visible to future sellers and buyers I don't know. I didn't hesitate to leave negative feedback; hopefully he won't return the favor.
Old 02-06-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, one week? You guys don't screw around. After one week is when I send a payment reminder or usually a personal email. After two weeks is when I start to sweat. Of course, the most expensive stuff I sell is about $50.
Old 02-06-05, 03:32 PM

i am beginning to hate eBay i got jipped two times in the past month now!!!
Old 02-06-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

wow.. I just had the exact opposite.. did a 'buy it now'.. two weeks later.. no word from the seller.. not only that, but thank goodness he didn't pick up the paypal funds (not only that, but he wasn't even registered there..)..

reported to ebay.. left neg.. still have heard diddly. bought from another vendor..

lo and behold just after that, someone else negs the guy for the same reason...

wonder what happened to the seller...

to boot.. the second seller was great, except the product quality was lower than advertised.. however, he offered to make it right..and changed all his auctions.. he didn't pay attention to the fact his supplier shifted item quality on him.
Old 02-06-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Infidel
I've been an eBay user for a while, and have dealt out several negative feedbacks. Nobody gives me negative in return because I don't give them cause to.

How long have you given them to respond? If you give them a full week with no responses, you can usually get away with giving negative feedback without fear of receiving the same. If it ever does happen, eBay should be pretty good about taking it off for you. And yes, when you give the negative feedback, you can and probably should report them as well. The quicker that deadbeat bidders can be dealt with and removed from eBay, the better.
If you haven't gotten a retaliatory neg, it's because you've been lucky to have reasonable trading partners (even if they did mess up somehow to deserve a neg.) If you did get a neg though, how would you get ebay to take it off for you? In no way is being a deadbeat grounds for feedback removal. You could file for mutual removal, and if both parties agreed the "neg" but not the comment would be removed. Ebay won't get involved in deciding who's wrong, but they'll allow people to mutually remove feedback.
Old 02-06-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tasha99
If you haven't gotten a retaliatory neg, it's because you've been lucky to have reasonable trading partners (even if they did mess up somehow to deserve a neg.) If you did get a neg though, how would you get ebay to take it off for you? In no way is being a deadbeat grounds for feedback removal. You could file for mutual removal, and if both parties agreed the "neg" but not the comment would be removed. Ebay won't get involved in deciding who's wrong, but they'll allow people to mutually remove feedback.
You're right. Being a deadbeat is not grounds for feedback removal. That's why I said that I personally have given nobody reason, ANY reason, to do that to me. That's why I advised the OP to give it a sufficient amount of time before posting negative feedback, lest the person feel they acted prematurely and retaliate.

Anything else I said need nitpicking?

Last edited by The_Infidel; 02-06-05 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-06-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by evitagen
Wow, one week? You guys don't screw around. After one week is when I send a payment reminder or usually a personal email. After two weeks is when I start to sweat. Of course, the most expensive stuff I sell is about $50.
Two weeks?

You have a lot of patience. The way people buy things these days, and being eBay, it's more than likely an impulsive buy, so getting money ASAP, is a good thing. I give a thumbs up to your buyers who actually pay you after a few weeks expire.
Old 02-07-05, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Break their legs.
Old 02-07-05, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have an overall good rating, a single negative will not really discourage buyers, especially if you add the response "retaliatory neg from non-paying bidder" to the negative feedback that was left for you. In fact, that will probably have a good effect in the long run, because it alerts other potential non-payers that you don't mess around and they risk a negative if they don't follow through on their winning bid.

Last edited by marty888; 02-07-05 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-07-05, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DavidH
How do you usually handle an Ebay auction when someone bids for your item -- wins the auction -- but will not pay or even respond to e-mails. This was for a rear projection TV that he bid on that I was selling. I've e-mail him several times and I get no response. Do I just fill out a "negative" response and/or contact Ebay about it? This is new for me.
I'd call him on the telephone. Unless eBay has changed something in the past few months, you can get their telephone number exactly for situations like this.
Old 02-08-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Get a load of this. I filled out a complaint form on Ebay. This guy then leaves me negative feedback saying I'm playing games and he has e-mailed me 10 times.

He only has one positive and already has another negative from someone else. Mine now made it two. The other negative said he never responded to their e-mail either.

I contacted Ebay about the matter to have my negative feedback removed. I have never received a negative before and have 46 positives.

What a punk.

Last edited by DavidH; 02-08-05 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-08-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mail him the TV box full of cow manure.
Old 02-08-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My 1 neg out of over 225 positives came from a guy who won an auction and asked me to hold the item until he won another one of my auctions. Once he won both items, I shipped them together. He then left me a neg b/c he claimed the goods took too long to arrive. This was before the percentages were added next to feedback ratings, so it wasn't a huge deal -- but now I'm more pissed off.

When I see a rating of 99.9999 or whatever and check the feedback it's pretty much always some loser leaving a neg that they shouldn't have on an otherwise spotless ebay acct.
Old 02-08-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think they should do away with percentages altogether, and just have the following:

Positive FBs
Negative FBs
Neutral FBs

Let the damn eBayer do the math if they want to be anal and do a statistical analysis on whether they will receive their item or not.
Old 02-09-05, 03:11 PM
Banned

Don't forget to ban the guy from your future auctions, in case he tries to bid on your sales again.

It's always a good time for a .
Old 02-09-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Relax, it's just ebay. It's only virtual.....
Old 02-09-05, 03:31 PM
Moderator Emeritus

My one negative came from back when you could leave feedback for anyone, even if you had never done business with them. Ah, the good ol' days.
Old 02-09-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Otto,

Good point. Forgot about that.
Old 02-09-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 276 Likes on 198 Posts
Stupid foreigners... can't they read that I ship to the US only? Ugh.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.