Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

City forcefully cleans woman's home & makes her pay for it

Other Talk "Otterville"

City forcefully cleans woman's home & makes her pay for it

Old 02-03-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming there are no children involved and it is a detached single-family dwelling, I agree with brizz.
Old 02-03-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Groucho
What was an old woman doing with a Star Wars droid army gun?
It doesn't matter what it is really. My last girlfriend's mother was like this. If we ever gave he a present that was wrapped up, we would have to be sure that we took the torn wrapping paper, ribbon, and gift card and throw them away where she didn't see us doing it. Otherwise, she would take it home and add it to her "collection".

It is a very sad condition, really. These people get . . . almost literally . . . heartbroken when you try to take their junk away from them. My girlfriend would tell me stories about cleaning up/throwing out rotting food in her mom's kitchen, only to get bawled out the next morning when her mom found that it was gone. The alternate reaction was depression, and that was usually the result of when she knew things were going to be thrown out ahead of time.
Old 02-03-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
What was an old woman doing with a Star Wars droid army gun?
Umm.....probably the same thing she was doing with 5 different ab machines, a salad spinner and 500 VHS tapes (despite not having a VCR)...just being crazy!!!

It's in perfect shape too!! The pre-installed batteries still going strong!!

Roger Roger!

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 02-03-05 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-03-05, 01:57 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by brizz
but who does that affect besides her? No one as far as I can tell from the article. Their position seems to be that the fire department said they wouldn't be able to maneuver in HER HOUSE if it caught on fire again. So? That would be her problem.
You were the one that saw a problem with urine and feces in the first place, and now you're asking who that affects but her? Argue it out with yourself and get back to us.
Old 02-03-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
but who does that affect besides her? No one as far as I can tell from the article. Their position seems to be that the fire department said they wouldn't be able to maneuver in HER HOUSE if it caught on fire again. So? That would be her problem.
This is the key paragraph right here:

Much of what Mills has saved papers, clothes, books is combustible. It is also a magnet for rodents. And the stacks don't stop in the house. The garage, carport and parts of the yard are also stuffed with rusting lawn mowers and yellowing newspapers, plus the occasional new appliance still in its box.
Between these things you have:

1) A fire hazard that could, potentially, spread to neighboring houses,
2) A place that attracts rodents that could, also, spread to neighboring houses, and
3) A public eyesore in the neighborhood that can affect property values.

All three of these are legitimate issues that affect people outside of her house.
Old 02-03-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
That's true. The home owners association in the lady's neighborhood has tried for sometime to get her to do wmething about it. From speaking with some of the neighbors while I was there it's like a neighbrhood joke.

Her son had to put up new, taller fencing around the house to hide all the junk in the backyard....
Old 02-03-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
if it's inside and not easily visible from the street this is BS
cleaning up the outside is ok, but the city should not be involved inside

Last edited by mikehunt; 02-03-05 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-03-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
if it's inside and not easily visible from the street this is BS
cleaning up the outside is ok, but the city should not be involved inside
So you don't agree with the issues of attracting rodents to the area and causing a fire hazard?
Old 02-03-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
I think personal property rights outweigh that risk
Old 02-04-05, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The keyword is potential fire hazard. And as for a "magnet for rodents," well, that's just a catchy phrase that doesn't mean shit. I've got a couch, it sits low to the ground, it's dark under there...OMG it's a magnet for cockroaches!!

A family friend got married a few years ago and his MIL died shortly afterwards. Her house was similiar, he had to rent a roll-off dumpster to try and get rid of everything. I stopped by there one day for something, and walked out with a brand new tape backup--This was from a woman in her 70s, not even sure if she actually had a computer in there somewhere or not.
Old 02-04-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Say that when you live next door to her.
Old 02-04-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-04-05, 09:31 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Mongo
The keyword is potential fire hazard. And as for a "magnet for rodents," well, that's just a catchy phrase that doesn't mean shit. I've got a couch, it sits low to the ground, it's dark under there...OMG it's a magnet for cockroaches!!
Unless your house is similar to the description of her house, there is a distinct difference between one clean couch and piles and piles of newspaper, dishes, clothes, most probably food, appliances, etc.

Last edited by Static Cling; 02-04-05 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-04-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The clinical diagnosis for this behavior is called Diogenes syndrome, and I believe as somebody had mentioned earlier, it is a form of OCD.

My dad is a packrat. Almost as bad as that lady.

Garage.....packed full of stuff.
Backyard patio......packed full of stuff.
Front yard patio.....packed full of stuff.
Bedroom #3.....packed floor to ceiling full of stuff.
Shower #2.....packed full of stuff.
Fireplace......packed full of stuff.
Old 02-04-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by talemyn
So you don't agree with the issues of attracting rodents to the area and causing a fire hazard?
So where do you draw the link? Candles are a potential fire hazard, too. Should we be forbidden from having them by the government?
Old 02-04-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Duran
So where do you draw the link? Candles are a potential fire hazard, too. Should we be forbidden from having them by the government?
Putting out a candle is much different than putting out stacks and stacks of old books and newspapers, closely packed together throughout a house.
Old 02-04-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by talemyn
Putting out a candle is much different than putting out stacks and stacks of old books and newspapers, closely packed together throughout a house.
Eh? Candles, being an open flame, can cause additional fires. Are you saying they are not a fire hazard?
Old 02-04-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

books and other tight packed paper also doesn't really ignite all that easily
Old 02-04-05, 08:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

books and other tight packed paper also doesn't really ignite all that easily
Agreed on books, maybe, but you don't think piles of "yellowing newspaper," as the article described it, would light up quick?
Old 02-04-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

so will the cotton balls and rubbing alcohol under my bathroom sink. in fact cotton balls will burst into flame from one little spark from a flint while news paper will not ignite nearly as easily at least the times I've tried using newspaper with a <a href="http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=29228&M5COPY%2Ectx=7188&M5%2Ectx=7188&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Compact%20Stoves%2C%20Fire%20S tarters%2C%20Fuels%2C%20Candles&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=blast%20match&backto=%2Fagcat alog%2Fresults%2Etam">blast match</a>
the fabric of my couch is probably flamable. I know the "memory foam" pad on top of my matress is highly flamable
again, I have to say that personal property rights outweigh the risk simply because I don't like the gov't coming in and telling people what to do
Old 02-04-05, 08:55 PM
Admin Emeritus

so will the cotton balls and rubbing alcohol under my bathroom sink. in fact cotton balls will burst into flame from one little spark from a flint while news paper will not ignite nearly as easily at least the times I've tried using newspaper with a <a href="http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=29228&M5COPY%2Ectx=7188&M5%2Ectx=7188&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Compact%20Stoves%2C%20Fire%20S tarters%2C%20Fuels%2C%20Candles&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=blast%20match&backto=%2Fagcat alog%2Fresults%2Etam">blast match</a>
the fabric of my couch is probably flamable. I know the "memory foam" pad on top of my matress is highly flamable
again, I have to say that personal property rights outweigh the risk simply because I don't like the gov't coming in and telling people what to do
You have cotton balls under your sink... but do you have PILES of cotton balls, on top of clothes, newspapers, etc.? Of course, everyone has flammable items in their house. Not everyone has them stacked on top of each other and next to each other like this lady.

My darling wife burned some newspaper in our fireplace and we had to repaint the exterior of it because the fire got so high... it had gotten out of the fireplace and scorched the outside of the fireplace.

I don't think that what the government is doing is necessarily the best course of action. However, the woman needs some sort of help.
Old 02-04-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yeah she needs a trip to the loony bin, or whatever the pc name for it is, where doctors can treat her. and assuming she has living family they need a kick in the nuts for not caring for her better
she doesn't need the gov't coming in and taking all her stuff, packing some of it up and throwing the rest away. no one needs the gov't stepping into their house to tell them what they can and can't have stored inside.
what's next, no more than 1 gallon of gasoline in a garage since a push mower tank is less than a gallon?
no paint solvents in the basement left over from when you painted the outiside of your house?
but I have a feeling we don't totally disagree, but I'm probably just taking it to further extremes
Old 02-04-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

no one needs the gov't stepping into their house to tell them what they can and can't have stored inside.
what's next, no more than 1 gallon of gasoline in a garage since a push mower tank is less than a gallon?
no paint solvents in the basement left over from when you painted the outiside of your house?
but I have a feeling we don't totally disagree, but I'm probably just taking it to further extremes
I think that your right about that last line.

I don't think anybody would support the government removing resonable amounts of flammable items. I would never have a problem with a neighbor having a few gallons (or whatever) of gas on hand in their garage, but they kept 30 open barrels of gasoline in their garage (a resonable gasoline "equivilant" to this situation), I think I'd have a problem with it. That would be unreasonable and unsafe.

And it's not like the government just randomly came in and did this. This was after numerous attempts by the neighbors to resolve the issue with the lady and only then getting local authorities involved . . . who I'm sure gave her multiple opportunities to resolve it, as well.

I think I'm also biased because I know a person who does this, am familiar with their mental state, and have been in their house. This isn't a simple case of personal items that they've attached some special importance too. It is random junk that: 1) never is really used, just accumulated, and 2) is only collected to begin with because they, essentially, are not psychologically able to not collect it. We're not talking about family heirlooms here or anything.
Old 02-05-05, 02:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

I have the same feeling. She needs help, not punishment.