Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Has your local radio station played the same song over and over for hours on end?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Has your local radio station played the same song over and over for hours on end?

Old 02-02-05, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This morning my alarm goes off at 5:45. A Sherl Crow song is playing. I hit snooze and it goes off 7 minutes later. I was half asleep when it went off again but subconsciencely I thought, hmmm that sounds like the same song. I hit it again and 7 minutes later, same song. At this point I get up and shower. I leave the house every morning around 6:40-6:45 but before I left I checked the radio again. Same song The ironic thing is I hop in my car, fire up the XM Radio and low and behold Sheryl Crows name pops up but it was a different song....

I remember this happening years ago on our local "top hits" station. But in that case it was a disgruntled night DJ who put on Happy Days and then left the building and chained the doors shut. That freaking song played for over 3 hours before they got someone in there to change it.
Old 02-02-05, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just be thankful it wasn't "I got you babe" on the radio.

Bing!!!
Old 02-02-05, 07:41 AM

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts
One day one of the local stations played some song about being a "prison bitch" for several hours. I think it was the station's last day on air.
Old 02-02-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I swear the local FM 100 hits station has been doing that for two months now with that "She Will Be Loved" song.
Old 02-02-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts
I remember a station playing the Stones' Satisfaction for 48 hours during a format changeover from pop to classic rock back in the mid-80s.
Old 02-02-05, 08:57 AM

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
I remember a station attempting to break a record or something by playing "Can't Touch This" over and over again several years ago.
Old 02-02-05, 08:57 AM

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
I remember a station playing the Stones' Satisfaction for 48 hours during a format changeover from pop to classic rock back in the mid-80s.
It's nice they picked a song that fit both formats.
Old 02-02-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 276 Posts
Heard it several times during format changes.

What you're describing is just heavy rotation.
Old 02-02-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Padding The DJ Pouchy.
Old 02-02-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
Just be thankful it wasn't "I got you babe" on the radio.

Bing!!!
Nice reference.
Old 02-02-05, 10:17 AM
Banned

I was driving with some people into Louisville, KY one time, and we found a station as we got into town that had a seamless loop of I Am The Walrus playing. We listened for about 20 minutes before we realized "hey, this song isn't this long" and continued to listen for another 10 minutes before switching channels. Later that night, after dinner, we checked again and it was still going. So it was playing for at least 6 hours, or so, probably more. Dunno what that was all about.

Good looping too, you couldn't tell where it repeated exactly.
Old 02-02-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

isn't that all radio stations do nowadays, anyway? it's the same songs over and over each day. oldies stations play the same stuff. classic rock stations play the same stuff every day. modern rock stations play whatever MTV tells them to play. the radio makes me sick...... (sorry about the minor rant)
Old 02-02-05, 10:20 AM

Z100 plays that ridiculous If I was a rich girl trashy song over and over.... and eminem has 3 songs in the top 40 playlist...
Old 02-02-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
isn't that all radio stations do nowadays, anyway? it's the same songs over and over each day. oldies stations play the same stuff. classic rock stations play the same stuff every day. modern rock stations play whatever MTV tells them to play. the radio makes me sick...... (sorry about the minor rant)
WEll they all do this but in this instance it was the SAME song played over and over back to back for an extended period of time.
Old 02-02-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not quite the same thing, but reminds me of a story...

Was driving from the Boston area back down to Texas a few years ago with my gf (at the time). With the route that I take I end up driving through GA for about 20 miles, and then into Alabama.

Had a CD player with remote and it was getting late as we approached the TN/GA border. When we hit GA, I made a show of searching for a station, but she wasn't really paying attention and I slipped a CD in without her noticing. Queued up "Sweet Home Alabama" and every time it got to the end of the song, I'd hit the previous track button on the remote to start the song again. After the 3rd or 4th time in a row she asked me about it.

Told her that it was a small local station on the AL border that only played that 1 song 24 hours a day...she believed me.
Old 02-02-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kantonburg
WEll they all do this but in this instance it was the SAME song played over and over back to back for an extended period of time.

yeah, I get it. I read the whole thread and didn't mean to derail it. that is weird that a station would allow that to happen.....unless it's a joke of some kind
Old 02-02-05, 10:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There was a local station here that had one of those "robo DJ's" for the graveyard shift. I used to listen to it a lot in the early 90's and one night it did get stuck repeating one song all night long. I can't remember the song though. It changed around 5am when I assume the morning crew came in.

Also, although the mix of songs did change from night to night, every night right at midnight they always started with the same song: The Moody Blues' "Nights in White Satin". It became something of a ritual for me to listen to it.
Old 02-02-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Several years ago while driving back from Altantic City, one station between there and Philadelphia the station continuously played Chumbawuma's "I Get Knocked Down". My friends and I couldn't help but listen and laugh....until it just got way to old!
Old 02-02-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In May of 1996 I was at the National Training Center while in the Army and ended up doing retrans duty on a mountain. It consists of parking a humvee, putting up 4 antennas and connecting the radios with a special cable. The signal comes in on one frequency, and goes out on another frequency. The idea is to increase the range and to hide your position from the enemy.

we had a normal radio with us and the only station we could get was a LV country station. They played the same 10-20 songs multiple times a day for a week. After you run out of books and magazines it really begins to get on your nerves in the middle of nowhere
Old 02-02-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 401 Likes on 288 Posts
Couple of times.

The small one: A local DJ got tired of hearing requests for Walk Like A Camel (Southern Culture on the Skids) when it came out, that he put it on repeat for 30-45 minutes straight. He came on at the end and said that should take care of all of the requests for a few weeks and said not to call asking for it.

The big one: a local rock channel (nickname "the Walrus")went out of business years back. A few years ago, they came back on air, they played 'I am the Walrus' 24/7 for a month straight.
Old 02-02-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Post #11, meet post #20! A mystery solved?!
Old 02-02-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One time a station out here in Los Angeles played that Mick Jagger & Michael Jackson thing: "A State of Shock", over & over & over & over & over ALL DAMN DAY!!!

Not that we listened to it ALL DAMN DAY ( ), but we checked in from time to time and low & behold...they were playing it over & over & over & over & over again...ALL DAMN DAY!!!

THEEK! INDEED!

Last edited by The Edit King; 02-02-05 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Back in 93 104.3 played Thank God I'm a Country Boy...and then Stairway to Heaven all day before a format flip. All day Stairway...whoa....
Old 02-02-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I lived in Michigan, during a format change, one of my favorite radio stations kept playing "I've got Friends in Low Places" for an entire weekend. The best part was that they had live DJs, they just kept acting like it was a request every time. It was funny, then sad, then funny again when I was drinking. Eventually, that and tequilla made me sick.
Old 02-02-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
Back in 93 104.3 played Thank God I'm a Country Boy...and then Stairway to Heaven all day before a format flip. All day Stairway...whoa....
Actually, they just played the song once. It really is that long.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.