Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What drives you crazy at work?

Other Talk "Otterville"

What drives you crazy at work?

Old 02-01-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whispering...i hate when my coworker gets on the phone and starts whispering, it is so annoying! sure she has personal matters to discuss, but it's just noise and i hate it.

being told "i need your help" to get something done quickly and then to learn that they just wanted me to do it and then they're leaving.

ha! freezing cold offices! i'm one of those...sortof. our office is underground so the climate is "special". no one can seem to find a comfortable balance so i just brought in a portable heater. but it's not just me, we all complain about it being too cold.
Old 02-01-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too numerous to list...
Old 02-01-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Breakfast with Girls

There are a few things that annoy me... there's another department on the other side, and they all have cell phones. None of them can leave them on vibrate, and they have to leave them on their desks... with loud rings. What's worse is that they'll go somewhere and leave their phones here, so that throughout the day I'll be trying to do some work and then I'll hear, like, the same annoying electronic jingle or misappropriated concerto repeat four times. Plus fully 50% of the time it's a personal call.
Holy fuck, that's annoying. Take your phone with you, asshole. I've gone into other people's offices and turned off their phones before.

Recently, we just hired a smoker who has an office down the hall from mine, and he smells like shit all the time. He's a nice guy and he works hard, but having the whole office stink is really unpleasant.

das
Old 02-01-05, 01:06 PM

I forgot, I had one co-workers that didn't bath on a regular basis.
Old 02-01-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hgar78
being told "i need your help" to get something done quickly and then to learn that they just wanted me to do it and then they're leaving.
Dude, don't tolerate that. Tell them, "Oh, I thought you needed my help. See ya."
Old 02-01-05, 01:15 PM

I had a coworker who lived alone in a trailer with 20 cats. He went home once a month to get frozen home cooked meals from his mom. He had a lot plates, bowls and utensils; and did not wash them until everyone was used. He would then put them all in his bath tub and soak them for days with bleach. During this period he was a bit hygiene deficient. He would come into work and spray himself entirely with Brut deoderant. Seeing that fog of deoderant drift out of his lab still make me laugh. Today people call him Doctor.
Old 02-01-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PJAceto
People playing music really pisses me off. You can't escape the noise. How would they feel if I farted outside their cubes?
I am TOTALLY guilty of this.
Old 02-01-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by latenight
1) the boss yells from his office to the employee he wants in their cubicle.
2) the woman that has been here 20 years is deaf and plays her music to loud. (I turned mine up and of all people she was the one to complain, when I was told to turn it down I refused until she turned hers down. now everytime she cranks hers up I crank mine up {Priest over R Charles} until she turns hers down)
While it may be more fun to be an ass, it almost never resolves the situation as fast as just asking nicely. There was this woman who came in one time at 7:30 or so and I guess figured that no one else was here. She cranked her (bad) music. I got all steamed about it for about 5 minutes and then when she started singing along I stood up and asked her to use headphones. She didn't respond, and so I asked louder. It turns out the woman was damn near deaf and didn't hear my typing or my "there's someone else here" coughing. I asked politely and she apologized and put on earphones. Problem solved.

Oh, I thought of another one: clipping your nails at work. One woman does it every day. She's nice and all, but holy fuck.
Old 02-01-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 321 Posts
Our company switched payment systems and it's a big time clusterfuck. Invoices sit waiting to be input into the system for weeks and I have no control over it, just stuck waiting for the shit to get back to me to process and that in itself is a royal PITA. And I'm one of the more experienced users which really makes it frustrating.
Old 02-01-05, 01:42 PM
Admin

Received 351 Likes on 226 Posts
Another temperature related story.

In the office that I work in, there is a long hallway serviced by one AC duct. Now, at one end of the duct, it is closer to the central source of coldness, so it is sometimes 5 deg colder than the far end of the duct, about 100 ft away. In the summer, there are constant battles between the people at either end of the duct, some wanting it warmer and others wanting it cooler. I sit right by the thermostat, so naturally, they bring their bitching to me. I move it up and down at will and either freeze them out or bake them, depending on the complaint of the moment. Come to think of it, it's rather fun. Anyhoo, the girls who sit right under the coldest part of the duct wear sleeveless outfits all the time and don't bring sweaters or anything clothing to warm them up. Now, the fact that they are hotties doesn't bother me, but their stupidity of not wearing more clothing and then complaining about it does.

Last edited by VinVega; 02-01-05 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-01-05, 02:04 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Come to think of it, I have a temperature-related story myself. There are two gals on the other side of the isle from me who always have their portable heaters on. Summer, winter...doesn't matter. I play a good fight though - I brought in a small fan for my desk and keep it on most of the time.
Old 02-01-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
The people in the video store...

Seriously, though. People who have their phone ringers turned up AS LOUD AS THEY WILL GO. What, do you need to hear your phone on the other side of the building??? You're sitting right next to it, for fuck's sake!
Old 02-01-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
People who burn microwave popcorn in the break area and stink up the whole damn office
Old 02-01-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, some of you have some really fucked-up work situations. The worst thing I have to deal with happens every Friday. My co-worker hosts a poker party every Friday, and all day beforehand, he'll get calls on his cellphone from all his poker buddies to confirm the game, talk about their last bad beats, what-have-you. This goes on for easily half the day. It's annoying, but not that bad, really.

At least the boss still gives me unfettered access to the net. Even though I don't post a lot, I spend most of my day here. So, that's a plus...
Old 02-01-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Xander
The people in the video store...
The guys that hang outside the video store and sell pot. They just crack me up.
Old 02-01-05, 02:43 PM

the fact that they expect me to work. what a fucking bitch..
Old 02-01-05, 02:46 PM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
People who burn microwave popcorn in the break area and stink up the whole damn office

Exactly. It amazes me how many people can't figure out how to make MICROWAVE POPCORN!!!!

The vast majority of microwaves have a button that says "Popcorn", all you have to do is press the fucking thing and wait.
Old 02-01-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a cubicle neighbor that doesn't know how to shut her fuckin' mouth. She just talks to everyone about random shit and I'm tired of it. Other than that, my cube is on the level with the breakroom, so I get to smell everyones' lunches.
Old 02-01-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People who try to chat in the restroom. Can't it wait???
Old 02-01-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 739 Likes on 528 Posts
I'm in an office (I don't think I could deal with cubicles) and the idiot in the next office always uses the speaker phone. He never actually picks up the receiver to make a call, never. It wouldn't be too bad except that the speaker volume seems to be set at maximum and I hear the entire conversation right through my wall. Luckily the idiot doesn't make too many calls during the day.
Old 02-01-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 349 Likes on 246 Posts
There are many, but one thing that really annoys me that a few co-workers do (in a open concept cubicle setting no less) is making eating noises.

Whether it's breakfast or lunch, you can hear their slurping and chewing. I find this irratating.
What drives me insane is when they make those "mmmm" sounds while eating like they were having sex. Is there any reason to moan that the food gets you excited loud enough for people to hear?
Old 02-02-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Pressplay
People who try to chat in the restroom. Can't it wait???
Ooh. Good one. I hate bathroom talkers too. Especially people that talk to you from in one of the stalls! Talk to me later, man!
Old 02-02-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People that come to work late.
Old 02-02-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

while I could write an encyclopedia's worth of stuff that pisses me off here at work (all valid, by the way), I'll simply put:

when people have a radio in their cube and play slow jams all fucking day!

I'm about to lose it
Old 02-02-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Office worker LAZINESS

It amazes me how far people will go out of their way to get someone else to do their job for them.

Just the same but with a slight twist are the people that have the ‘not my job’ syndrome or also known as the ‘I proclaim myself too important to do that’ syndrome.

I work with some of the laziest damn people on the planet (next to federal government workers )

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.