Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How much do you spend each week on groceries?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-31-05, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a mexican grocery market that opened by me and I have cut my weekly grocery spending in nearly half. But I am wondering about quality, I can't tell the difference. For example, Roast Beef sliced in the deli is $8.99 at Dominiks, but only $2.59 a pound at the mexican grocery store. And Dominik's has become sneaky. They recently sent me a flyer in the mail with "On Sale... Pork Chops $1.79". So I go there figuring they are blowing pork chops out the door for a buck seventy-nine a pound. But when I get there, I see a sign $1.79 per serving, and a serving is 4 ounces. That comes out to $7.16 a pound, not a good deal at all.

Then there is milk. I noticed that mainstream grocery stores sell it for over $3.50 a gallon, but luckily Walmart has it for just over 2 bucks. How come mainstream grocery stores charge nearly twice as much??

Anyways, my grocery spending is out of control. I wonder how much the average person spends per week on groceries. My goal is to keep it under $30 a week, but I almost always spend over $60 a week. If I blow money at the grocery store, then I can't spend it elsewhere. So I guess I am also looking at ideas for cheap eating that still tastes good. I am kinda tired of the 99 cent hot dogs that I swear must be over 30% water. Mac and cheese is also getting a bit old. Any suggestions??
Old 01-31-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

smiths had a sale on tuna last week so i bought 384 cans.
Old 01-31-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DoogieHowser

Then there is milk. I noticed that mainstream grocery stores sell it for over $3.50 a gallon,
Holy shit where do you live? Here in cow country it's $2.25 a gallon. Meat is cheap too. I spend probably $30 a week at the most for one person.
Old 01-31-05, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by costanza
smiths had a sale on tuna last week so i bought 384 cans.
I am looking for real advice here. But I do buy tuna when it is on sale 3 cans for a dollar, I'll buy 15 of them and toss them in a closet in the kitchen. Two cans can make a good amount of tuna salad if a chopped onion and celery stick is added. Plus, I like mixing in a can of tuna, well drained, into mac and cheese. It makes it more filling.

But seriously, any ideas for good cheap eating??
Old 01-31-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am looking for real advice here. But I do buy tuna when it is on sale 3 cans for a dollar, I'll buy 15 of them and toss them in a closet in the kitchen. Two cans can make a good amount of tuna salad if a chopped onion and celery stick is added. Plus, I like mixing in a can of tuna, well drained, into mac and cheese. It makes it more filling.

But seriously, any ideas for good cheap eating??

Since you shop at a mexican grocery store I'm sure you can get mexican food pretty cheap. I've found that you can eat pretty cheaply on tacos and that sort of thing. Also ramon noodles. Which I hated as a kid but now I love. Mostly because they are 5 for a $1.
Old 01-31-05, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower
Holy shit where do you live? Here in cow country it's $2.25 a gallon. Meat is cheap too. I spend probably $30 a week at the most for one person.
WOW.

I need to move out of the city. If I could get meat and milk everyday for under 30 bucks a week I would be ecstatic. That would be 4 dollars a day!!

BTW, I really, really like meat and meat flavored food. LOL. I have a closet full of ramon noodles I got when they were on sale 10 for $1. And for the past year I have chopped hot dogs in there, other times dropped eggs in, I have tried just about every additive to try and make it taste good and be filling. If I had to eat noodles, I think I like the thicker egg noodles that people put in soup. I'll boil them up, then when they are done I'll toss them in a pan with a teaspoon of butter to cover them and cracked black pepper. It is a meal that is under 50 cents, and it ain't half bad. If I have leftover ham slices, I'll chop that in noodle shapes and put it in there.

I am going to be taking a HUGE cut in pay. I need to find a way to live cheaper. I am also addicted to diet coke, I drink over a two liter bottle a day. I should probably try and put an end to that.
Old 01-31-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

used to be $400 a month but that was with buying fish and a few other things in Whole Foods. We are going to cut down in the future. We are going to buy veggies in the local market since they are cheaper. Otherwise it's Stop and Shop or Costco.
Old 01-31-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WOW.

Ok, I lied. After just realizing what I said I take it back. It's $2.50 for 1/2 a gallon. Sorry, I don't guy gallons because I don't drink it fast enough. Meet is still cheap though.
Old 01-31-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

skim is only about $2.25 at the vons near me. i usually go to sam's club and it's less than 2. i get my fruits and veggies from the mexican grocery stores. stock up big time on tuna when i can and get the frozen chicken breasts when they go on sale. plus the protein powder from whichever online place i can find a coupon for at the time.
Old 01-31-05, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower
Good lord man how do you survive on $30 a week!?? Eat PB&J every meal? I spend about $85 a week for myself. Granted I shop at Whole Foods (organic) which makes things a little more expensive...

As for eating cheaper I'm not sure there's all that much you can do. Hit the sales sure. You could also make big meals. For example, a 2-2.5lb of roast beef is good for about 3-4 meals of stew (with rice) for me. Freeze half of it for later. Same thing with Spaghetti..a box is about .70-90 cents (if you don't feel like buying the sauce and groundbeef, use extra virgin olive oil with garlic) and makes about 4 meals....cooking like that always helps in the long run. Also, I've found that Target has the best prices for cereal, soups, chips, soda, and other non-perishable items.
Old 01-31-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At least $75 a week, and we don't even eat that much. Ralph's went crazy price-wise after the big strike of 2003.
Old 01-31-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My grocery bill is normally between $85 - $125 per week, and that includes buying diapers for my toddler, cat food and litter, all non-food times like laundry care and personal care items. I cook mostly from scratch and stay away from prepackaged food items when I can. Also, I don't buy much meat or dairy and no alcoholic beverages.

I do 99% of my shopping at Fred Meyer's, and hit Winco when I need lunch supplies for my oldest boy since he packs a lunch for school everyday. My husband comes home for lunch and we eat left-overs from the night before.

When I was first married, my grocery budget was anywhere from nothing to $30 a week, including cat food and litter and soap and other things. That was back in 1994, BK (before kids).
Old 01-31-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 197 Likes on 139 Posts
I don't know since I buy, in bulk, stuff on sale that I can throw in the freezer. I don't buy too many veggies since I often forget I have them in the fridge and they end up rotting.
Old 01-31-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$40-45 a week for myself and always hungry! Looking for some good suggestions also to save a few more dollars and eat a little better. Chicken is getting a little old for me!
Old 01-31-05, 06:32 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts
We spend anywhere up to $300/week for a family of five (plus 2 cats). My wife uses coupons like mad, but you should really talk to NCMojo's wife about couponing.
Old 01-31-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would guess about $400-600 a week for a family of five.
Old 01-31-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bandoman
We spend anywhere up to $300/week for a family of five (plus 2 cats). My wife uses coupons like mad, but you should really talk to NCMojo's wife about couponing.
Mine is pretty good at it, too. I think we were under 300 for a month for like the past 6 months.
Old 01-31-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If you find things you like at Costco, the prices are a lot better than grocery store, but the portions are large. Packages of meat need to be divided and put in freezer. On canned goods, some are bundles of normal size cans, some are huge restaurant cans that would go bad before you can use them.

We buy a lot of chicken breasts, pork chops, sirloin, and eye round there. In winter, we make a lot of beef stew and pot roast with the eye round, in summer, we grill sirloin. They have a great frozen stir fry mix (just the vegetables) that can be used with any of those meats and rice for a filling dinner. In summer, I buy some of their fish for the grille too, halibut and tilapia. (Their salmon is supposed to be very good, I just don't like salmon very much). They have packs of deli meat, ham, turkey, beef, all of which are good, but they are 2-3 lb packs. You can freeze some though.

I don't know what kind of tuna you get 3 for $1. I think I'm doing good to get 12 cans of albacore tuna for $10 at Costco; grocery is at least twice that.
Old 01-31-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$600 a week? Granted you're in Hawaii but $600?
Old 01-31-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by attrition
Good lord man how do you survive on $30 a week!??
Totino's Pizzas and Ramon Noodles.
Old 01-31-05, 07:32 PM

Milk here cost $3.50 a gallon, but if you can hold out it's on sale for $1.99 or 2 for $5.00 at any given store during the week, it's just about finding it.

Krogers is having a 10 for $10 sale, and I loaded up. Included in that was chicken nuggets, pork fritters, and smoked sausage. I also do a lot of Sav-A-Lot or Aldis shopping. Canned goods, sugar, flour, etc are considerably cheaper.

We have a family of four, and I imagine we spend $200-$300 a month. However that's also considering my mother-in-law has a farm and every Christmas gives us a butchered pig, cow, or both.
Old 01-31-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$70-$130 week just for myself, but I like to eat semi-well... remember the days when I only had a bag of rice to last 2 weeks, and the times I was thankful I worked at McDonalds (expired chicken mcnuggest are heaven to a starving college student !!)
Old 01-31-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I buy for one and I spend about CAN$75 each week to buy fresh stuff like meat, fruits and vegetables, cheese, bread and drinks (juice, milk, soda, wine, beer). Once a month or so, I go to Loblaw's to buy canned goods, detergent, stuff for the cat, paper goods and such, and I spend about CAN$175. Food is something I'm not afraid to spend on: I love to cook, invite friends over often and like to try new stuff at the farmer's market.
Old 01-31-05, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by OldDude
If you find things you like at Costco, the prices are a lot better than grocery store, but the portions are large. Packages of meat need to be divided and put in freezer. On canned goods, some are bundles of normal size cans, some are huge restaurant cans that would go bad before you can use them.

We buy a lot of chicken breasts, pork chops, sirloin, and eye round there. In winter, we make a lot of beef stew and pot roast with the eye round, in summer, we grill sirloin. They have a great frozen stir fry mix (just the vegetables) that can be used with any of those meats and rice for a filling dinner. In summer, I buy some of their fish for the grille too, halibut and tilapia. (Their salmon is supposed to be very good, I just don't like salmon very much). They have packs of deli meat, ham, turkey, beef, all of which are good, but they are 2-3 lb packs. You can freeze some though.

I don't know what kind of tuna you get 3 for $1. I think I'm doing good to get 12 cans of albacore tuna for $10 at Costco; grocery is at least twice that.
Thanks for the specific recommendations.

That is what I am thinking of doing. I love meat, and if I don't get meat I feel hungry again in a couple hours. If I get meat, I can have one meal a day and not be too hungry the rest of the day. When I was younger, I used to love the all you can eat buffet, but that is too pricey for every day. I am thinking making a big stew, and freezing half is a great idea! A little meat and lots of potatoes in gravy sure sounds good.

The tuna I get is the cheapest kind, the torn up shredded tuna in water. It is not the whole white tuna. But the way I make tuna salad, I think I would break up the whole white tuna anyways. I know my mom only buys the white albacore, but I am trying to maximize food portions, and I find that by the time the tuna salad is done, I can't tell the difference. On sale, I get three cans of tuna for the price of one can of whole white tuna.

I just went to the grocery earlier today, and got a 99 cent package of hot dogs for dinner. I am willing to do ANYTHING to change that. I have had the hot dogs up to here! If I don't see another hot dog again for another month I will be a very happy guy.
Old 01-31-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We figured this out once, spend about $1000 a month on food. Most of this is to feed a family of 3.

Breakout is something like this:

$600 a month on food (diapers and the other things like soap are a separate budget)
$100 a month on eating out (McDonalds and other family restaurants)
$200 a month for my lunches (bring lunch twice a week or it would cost more)
$100 a month for coffee (Starbucks, etc)

We do eat well, but the cost would be even higher if we didn't take advantage of the grocery store's specials.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.