Reload this Page >

Does Thomasville Make Good Furniture?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-31-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering if anyone has bought any of their furniture. My wife is ready to drop big money on a bunch of stuff.

Any other companies that make quality stuff that you'd like to recommend?
Old 01-31-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thomasville makes great furniture.
Old 01-31-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i have the Retro Ve bedroom set that was made in NC and it's very nice

http://www.thomasville.com/Products/...lectionRGID=44

if i was buying today i would make sure that i buy something made in china from thomasville. The factory in NC is old and all the work is done manually. A few years ago they opened a new one near Shanghai and it's fully computerized. Most of the Bogart line is made there and my meories from 2003 tell me that it looks like better quality than the USA made stuff.

Check out www.blacksfurniture.com

they are near the NC factory and can get you stuff sales tax free and sometimes the shipping is free. They also sell a lot of other good stuff and their prices are generally cheaper than the Thomasville store. If you buy through the thomasville retail store then don't buy on the first trip. They have periodic sales and go there for a few months to compare prices. In 2003 and 2004 July 4 and Labor Day sales had good prices.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. Ethan Allen is better, but it's super expensive. Thomasville is good for the price you pay. Check out Seaman's too. In the last year the new CEO changed the company and their stuff looks nice now. In 2003 all the furniture looked like crap there, and a few months ago the wife and I bought a leather sofa set there. New CEO came in, changed the entire product line. They also own Levitz, but I didn't like them that much.

Last edited by al_bundy; 01-31-05 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-31-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was hoping it was good stuff based on the price.

My wife is ordering stuff from King Street for the bedroom:
http://www.thomasville.com/Products/...ectionRGID=181

We went to Levitz and the usual places and all the stuff seems like crap. Thomasville and Ethan Allen are the only local places we liked. EA doesn't seem much more than Thomasville.

They just opened a new store here and we never saw their stuff until recently.
Old 01-31-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

al_bundy

i have the Retro Ve bedroom set that was made in NC and it's very nice
I have the same line in one of my bedrooms, and I've been very happy with it. I spent forever scouring the furniture stores for exactly what I wanted, and while it was a little more than I had planned to spend, it's high quality and I'm pleased that I went ahead and got it. Also, just a local note, their sales staff was much more polite and helpful than Ethan Allen. I spent my first weekend just looking around at everything, getting some prices, meeting some sales staff, etc, and the Ethan Allen folks wouldn't give me the time of day unless I was ready to give them $5000 on a whim that afternoon. It was like going to a sleazy used car lot. "What can I do to put you in this bed today?" It's unlikely I'll ever shop there again.

das
Old 01-31-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like my furniture but hate my mattress. We have complained several times about or mattress. Don't buy their mattresses
Old 01-31-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a little too bulky and showy. I like the idea of a Hemmingway or Bogart collection, but they appear a little cheesy......but that's just me. It's got no personality or individual expression. go antique-ing or something and you'll get better quality, better craftsmanship and so on.

Last edited by dick_grayson; 01-31-05 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-31-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I have the same line in one of my bedrooms, and I've been very happy with it. I spent forever scouring the furniture stores for exactly what I wanted, and while it was a little more than I had planned to spend, it's high quality and I'm pleased that I went ahead and got it. Also, just a local note, their sales staff was much more polite and helpful than Ethan Allen. I spent my first weekend just looking around at everything, getting some prices, meeting some sales staff, etc, and the Ethan Allen folks wouldn't give me the time of day unless I was ready to give them $5000 on a whim that afternoon. It was like going to a sleazy used car lot. "What can I do to put you in this bed today?" It's unlikely I'll ever shop there again.

das
I absolutely agree with your assessment of EA. Its not hard to drop $5K in Thomasville either.
Old 01-31-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
It's a little too bulky and showy. I like the idea of a Hemmingway or Bogart collection, but they appear a little cheesy......but that's just me. It's got no personality or individual expression. go antique-ing or something and you'll get better quality, better craftsmanship and so on.
We liked their stuff because our bedroom is huge and we need large pieces of furniture. We don't like the overly gaudy stuff so that King Street is right our alley being dignified but lowkey.
Old 01-31-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been happy with Thomasville because they use good quality wood and it's made pretty well. In 2003 when we went to other stores the cheap furniture there looked like was ready to fall apart. The EA stuff in the store looked like it was slightly better quality than Thomasville. The big thing about EA is their design and the little things about their furniture like the angles at which it is cut. The cheap stuff is straight cut. EA and Thomasville has nice rounded cuts.
Old 01-31-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's wrong with furniture built manually? Antique furniture was all hand-built, how many Thomasville, EA, etc sets will still be around 200 years from now?

I'd suggest finding a local woodworking supply store (Woodcraft is in many areas) and asking them if they know of any semi-pro/hobbyist woodworkers that build custom furniture. You get exactly what you want and most likely it'll be better built than anything you can buy in a retail store.
Old 01-31-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mongo
What's wrong with furniture built manually? Antique furniture was all hand-built, how many Thomasville, EA, etc sets will still be around 200 years from now?

I'd suggest finding a local woodworking supply store (Woodcraft is in many areas) and asking them if they know of any semi-pro/hobbyist woodworkers that build custom furniture. You get exactly what you want and most likely it'll be better built than anything you can buy in a retail store.
Agreed. I find large furniture stores, no matter how "prestigious" they are, always cut corners. Usually, they won't use french dovetails, use plywood too much, use veneers too much, won't screw in backs (they use a power stapler instead), etc. Considering the prices they charge, I'd expect perfection.

This is my dresser: http://www.truenorthfurniture.ca/bed...a=3&product=73

It only cost me CAD$1200. Very well built, with only some plywood used as support pieces inside the unit. All visible surfaces are solid wood.
Old 01-31-05, 02:49 PM
Suspended

I agree 100% go antiqueing and you can find something really pimp for less money that will ast you forever.

Believe me though I always used to get sucked into that "new is better" mentality, in some cases yes, in most no.
Old 01-31-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mongo

take a look at the Thomasville stuff that is still built by hand and compare it to the computerized stuff. The furniture from the high tech factory in Shanghai is better because the parts fit better. I like my Retro Ve, but you can tell that all the pieces are crooked in the way they fit.

Only some of the antique stuff is still around, mostly things that were in royal courts or high level government offices. These are very expensive items that were bought from the best furniture makers, and are not the norm. Where is 99.999% of the furniture from the past?
Old 02-01-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry. I don't like Country looking furniture and don't need to be bothered going "antiquing." Even if I could find an antique that would look like the Thomasville bed I linked to, it would most likely be beat up and be a lot more money. I'm not big on "antiques" anyway - I like a more contemporary look.
Old 02-01-05, 10:17 AM

I've always heard great things about Thomasville.
Old 02-01-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We got Thomasville bedroom and dining room sets about 25 years ago. Still in use and going great.
Old 02-01-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't trying to imply that all hand-crafted furniture looks like antiques, there are many contemporary woodworkers also. Take a look at www.djmarks.com

Here are a few of his pieces....I guarantee they'll outlast anything from Thomasville, EA, etc...

Edit--nm, guess he doesn't allow hotlinks from other websites...so you'll have to check out his site yourself to see what I mean.
Old 02-01-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Shazam
Agreed. I find large furniture stores, no matter how "prestigious" they are, always cut corners. Usually, they won't use french dovetails, use plywood too much, use veneers too much, won't screw in backs (they use a power stapler instead), etc. Considering the prices they charge, I'd expect perfection.
No shit. I know a bit about wood-working, and it's just flat-out disgusting how poorly assembled most furniture is. A few years ago, I was looking at bedroom sets, and it was hard to find ones that were actually good, solid pieces. I'm talking bed/dresser sets of upwards of $5,000.00 that, upon examination, didn't look like they would last for over five years of use.

And last summer, I was looking at furniture at this one place. It was all this really funky-looking Tim Burtonish kind of stuff. Little skinny chairs with crooked six-foot backs, upholstered in blue/black zebra... really crazy stuff like that. Everything was between $10,000 and $25,000 a piece. And the upholstery was stapled on. Fucking stapled.