Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Well... I got a ticket for having no seatbelt.

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-27-05, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in Tempe tonight as a passenger in a car driving home from a movie... the driver pulls a stupid moving violation and we immediately get pulled over. One cop bugs the driver while the other cop bugs me... light in the face and an bad attitude. He asks for my license and why my seatbelt wasn't on. Then he asks about my address on the license which wasn't current. I was honest and cooperative. Minutes later he returns with my license and a ticket for not wearing the seatbelt and said I had to get a new license.

1. I don't want to pay the ticket. I know I probably will anyway, but do I have any recourse? It's not worth my time to go to court or anything I don't think.

2. I can't read the ticket at all... can this be used to my advantage?

3. About my license... what happens if I don't get a new one? Can they suspend it now?

4. He was a complete dick (would've thought so even if he hadn't ticketed me) - I hate Tempe cops.
Old 01-27-05, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
you moran you should've told him you didn't have your license with you, you weren't driving so he couldn't have done anything for lack of a license
Old 01-27-05, 04:35 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I think you could have told him that you unbuckled your seat after he pulled you over. What the hell could he prove then?
Old 01-27-05, 04:36 AM

It sounds like the cop had it in for you. I think you will be stuck either paying the ticket, or going to court and losing a days pay from work to fight it. And if you get a hanging judge, it won't matter anyways.

You can always try and say you took the seatbelt off when they pulled you over, to get your wallet out of your back pocket. Or you could try and put the blame on the driver, and say the seatbelt was stuck. Either way, I think the judge might nail you anyways, they are not concerned with law they are more like a tax. My county had a judge that was not even a lawyer. He was appointed by the mayor. So who knows... it depends on who you get.
Old 01-27-05, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
you moran you should've told him you didn't have your license with you, you weren't driving so he couldn't have done anything for lack of a license
I don't know about Arizona but in Indiana the law is you must have a form of identification (State ID, driver's liscence, what have you) if you are over 16.

Even if you aren't driving The Police want to know who you are in case you have warrants or are dangerous or whatever. It's for their safety as much as yours as a private citizen.

I don't think they can suspend you for not having a current address on your liscence. Sure it's better if it is but I never renew mine until it expires.

In my state the passenger (or ANY adult in a truck/SUV) isn't required to wear a safety belt, but I've gotten a few tickets myself for it as a driver. How much was yours for? They are $25 here fo a first offense and it goes up each time after that.
Old 01-27-05, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd go with the taking the seatbelt off to get your driver's license.

Incidently, could you have just said you didn't have one? If you were a passenger, then there is no reason for you to require one.
Old 01-27-05, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by boston george
I don't know about Arizona but in Indiana the law is you must have a form of identification (State ID, driver's liscence, what have you) if you are over 16.

weird, never heard of that before.
Old 01-27-05, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

woulda coulda... yeah - I wanted to say I didn't have my license and I wanted to say I had just taken it off when we pulled over, but I have been on this honesty kick for several years now and I've found it difficult to lie in situations like this now. Years ago, I got a jaywalking ticket in Tempe and I lied about all my info and said I didn't have my wallet with me even though the chain was clearly visible. I used to be really good about coming up with the lies in these situations, but now I just don't. It doesn't pay to be honest these days I guess. I don't know why he had it in for me, it's not like I fuckin did anything... I have an immaculate driving record - I'm sure he saw that when he looked me up. Also, he probably saw that my birthday was in a couple days, so he decided to ruin my weekend. What a dick.

I should've just shot him.

Last edited by Trigger; 01-27-05 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-27-05, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh - the ticket price is 59 bucks I think. can't I just call in and say I can't read the ticket? Is there anything to that? Cuz I really can't.
Old 01-27-05, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there's not much you can do about the seatbelt violation but,

drop by the station and have a word with the Watch Command. Say that the officer that cited you was treating you with a manner opposite in which you acted in. Pretty much a complaint...

(i know here in glendale, if there is a complaint on an officer the superior has to have a talk to the officer or something like that...)
Old 01-27-05, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

if I do that and say I had my seatbelt on, you think he'd tell me to forget about the ticket by any chance?
Old 01-27-05, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Trigger
if I do that and say I had my seatbelt on, you think he'd tell me to forget about the ticket by any chance?
It depends if you are believable, if it put doubt in his head he might have just given you a warning.

But if you are a woman, the sure fire way to get out of the ticket is to show some skin. I know women who drive terrible, and they get out of tickets by smiling and showing some cleavege.
Old 01-27-05, 06:00 AM

In Illinois the issuing officer must show up at court to present his case. Unless it is a serious matter, the police rarely attend. If you are there and he is not, the charges are dropped. Still you'd have to go to court. Is the date legible?

Aternately, If you are trying to be an honest person, maybe you should pay the fine. I guess you earned it if you actually were not wearing a seat belt.
Old 01-27-05, 07:06 AM
Moderator Emeritus

That reminds me, I really need to get my address changed on my license and registration. Sucks that you can't do it online/at an ATM. I actually have to go wait in line for a damn address change.

Oh yeah. Pay the ticket. Don't lie about it. They more than likely noticed you didn't have it on before the car came to a stop.
Old 01-27-05, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How is your traffic record? Can you appeal this ticket? Your best bet would be to appeal and just admit you made a mistake and ask if you can have it lowered to a written warning.

If you go to the police station and complain about the officer, there is a zero chance he will let you out of the ticket.
Old 01-27-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did they ask for proof of insurance?
Old 01-27-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And WHY were you in the car without a seatbelt, young man?
Old 01-27-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Don't forget to wear your BCP t-shirt. Judges dig those.
Old 01-27-05, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by gfoots
In Illinois the issuing officer must show up at court to present his case. Unless it is a serious matter, the police rarely attend.
My wife tried this in Ohio. The judge apparently has another option. Reschedule the court date so that the issuing officer knows to appear. I would assume other states' judges have similar latitudes.
Old 01-27-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by gfoots
Alternately, If you are trying to be an honest person, maybe you should pay the fine. I guess you earned it if you actually were not wearing a seat belt.

And go report the officer for being discourteous.
Old 01-27-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 161 Likes on 103 Posts
Aren't you white? What about the driver? Where's your pride man?

Why didn't you just tell the copper to fuck off and threaten to report him? Why didn't the driver do the same and just drive off? I heard you white guys can do shit to cops like that and not get beat down or killed.

Are you gonna let some "Jack booted Thug" rape your American rights?

The Terrorists are winning....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-27-05 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-27-05, 09:35 AM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Time to appeal to one of your imaginary celebrity friends!
Old 01-27-05, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Trigger
woulda coulda... yeah - I wanted to say I didn't have my license and I wanted to say I had just taken it off when we pulled over, but I have been on this honesty kick for several years now and I've found it difficult to lie in situations like this now. Years ago, I got a jaywalking ticket in Tempe and I lied about all my info and said I didn't have my wallet with me even though the chain was clearly visible. I used to be really good about coming up with the lies in these situations, but now I just don't. It doesn't pay to be honest these days I guess. I don't know why he had it in for me, it's not like I fuckin did anything... I have an immaculate driving record - I'm sure he saw that when he looked me up. Also, he probably saw that my birthday was in a couple days, so he decided to ruin my weekend. What a dick.

I should've just shot him.

This kind of crap is why I don't like cops. Don't get me wrong...I'll call one if I need one...but only as a last resort. I do have on cop friend...and he tells me that most of the other guys on his force are total assess to people because they know they can.

Go catch some real criminals!

WORST COP STORY:

It was my sister-in-laws wedding, and the wedding just ended. So the traditional caavan of cars are following the bride and groom to the reception hall. They was a small pet parade earlyer in the day, so a cop was out picking up some trafic cones. As we drive by honking our horns to celebrate the wedding, this cops starts yelling at us to stop honking. He was furious! So I yelled back at him that it was a wedding. He then started moving toward the car...still yelling that honking the horn over and over was illlegal. I yelled back at him that it was a wedding and everyone does it so we aren't going to stop. So, now his is pissed. Luckily the stop light had turned green, cause he starts running at the car, and we took off! What was he going to do!

I should have shot him too!
Old 01-27-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
[OT] Cop or not, repetitive honking is frikkin' annoying. Rather than just run at your car I would have just shot the whole lot of you. Thank God for pre-ban high capacity magazines! [/OT]
Old 01-27-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyCapps
That reminds me, I really need to get my address changed on my license and registration. Sucks that you can't do it online/at an ATM. I actually have to go wait in line for a damn address change.

Oh yeah. Pay the ticket. Don't lie about it. They more than likely noticed you didn't have it on before the car came to a stop.
really?
in NY you just print out the form from the DMV website and mail it in with a check

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.