Reload this Page >

NYC Subway .... ARGG!!!!

Other Talk "Otterville"

NYC Subway .... ARGG!!!!

Old 01-25-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Subway .... ARGG!!!!

I have had it with the subway. To get to work I take the F train through Brooklyn, then transfer to the A or the C the rest of the way (to Penn Station/MSG). This ride used to take about 35 minutes. Withint the last 6 months or so the F has totally gone to hell. Sometimes I have to wait 30 minutes for it just to show up (this is during rush hour) and then it crawls through the tunnels. If I ever get to work even remotely on time these days (even if I leave home extra early) it's because the A and C have my back and make up the time with speed and frequency.

Until yesterday. Some stinking rotten bum decided to torch the signal room of the A/C at Chambers street. He completely burned it to a crisp. Destroyed all the equipment.

Now, there is no C train at all. And the A train is running at 30-40% frequency. How long do they estimate that this will be the case? 2-5 years!

Screw you MTA, screw you bums, screw you subway, screw you all!!!!!
Old 01-25-05, 10:36 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
So you're unhappy with the subway?
Old 01-25-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lawyers are so insightful.
Old 01-25-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
To get to work I take the F train through Brooklyn, .......
Withint the last 6 months or so the F has totally gone to hell.
Wait a second, Brooklyn is hell.
Old 01-25-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Wait a second, Brooklyn is hell.
It's so true
Old 01-25-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We don't have a subway system out here, our public trains run above ground. You should move out here. Our trains are pretty and clean and usually run on time.
Old 01-25-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
We don't have a subway system out here, our public trains run above ground. You should move out here. Our trains are pretty and clean and usually run on time.
But your weather is crummy.

Oh wait...
Old 01-25-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
dude, this is the MTA..

they underestimate everything. it's really going to take 10-20 years..
Old 01-25-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No C train for 2-5 years? Damn. I'm glad I live on the N/W, which is something I thought I'd never say.
Old 01-25-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But your weather is crummy.

Oh wait...

Just a little rain, my friend...no snow here!
Old 01-25-05, 11:53 AM
X
Administrator

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Until yesterday. Some stinking rotten bum decided to torch the signal room of the A/C at Chambers street. He completely burned it to a crisp. Destroyed all the equipment.
I'm sure this was just a plea for help and understanding. You really should show more compassion toward those more unfortunate than yourself.
Old 01-25-05, 11:57 AM
Banned

You think NY subway is bad? Boy, wait til you get of load of San Francisco subway.
Old 01-25-05, 12:05 PM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Agreed. I much prefer Quizno's.
Old 01-25-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah..."Sandwich Artists" and their goddamn tip jars...
Old 01-25-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My commute yesterday sucked. They cancelled the F-train entirely from Brooklyn to Manhattan, so I had to get to Flatbush Ave and take a B train to Broadway/Lafayette. Now I hear the A train is gonna run on the F track, which is going to slow my train down even MORE than usual.

So yeah, I agree. NYC subways = horrible.
Old 01-25-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BJacks
My commute yesterday sucked. They cancelled the F-train entirely from Brooklyn to Manhattan, so I had to get to Flatbush Ave and take a B train to Broadway/Lafayette. Now I hear the A train is gonna run on the F track, which is going to slow my train down even MORE than usual.

So yeah, I agree. NYC subways = horrible.
I'm damn glad I moved to Jersey 18 years ago where you need a car even to go to the grocery store to pick up some eggs, bread and milk before a snowstorm.

Ah, quit yer bellyaching and get a real job so you can afford a $3000 per month studio apartment on the lower east side. That way you only have hacks to complain about.
Old 01-25-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
DC subway isn't any better. I've taken the last few days because of the weather. The last 2 days, during morning rush, a train has broken down inbound on the Orange Line.
Old 01-25-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You guys are talking about weather related problems... those are understandable: No F train yesterday due to snow (it goes above ground for much of B'klyn) is one thing (yes, I took a Brooklyn bus to jay street and caught the F there) but what I'm mad about is that the A/C trains are totally screwed for the next THREE TO FIVE YEARS just because some homeless guy set a signal room on fire. How did he get in there? Why can't they fast-track such important work? Why don't they tie him to the tracks?

Being at the mercy of the elements is one thing, even being at the mercy of bureaucracy is something most people have to deal with. But being at the mercy of bum-pyromaniacs is totally unacceptable! Sheesh. I've had it.
Old 01-25-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You guys are talking about weather related problems... those are understandable: No F train yesterday due to snow (it goes above ground for much of B'klyn) is one thing (yes, I took a Brooklyn bus to jay street and caught the F there) but what I'm mad about is that the A/C trains are totally screwed for the next THREE TO FIVE YEARS because some homeless guy set a signal room on fire. Being at the mercy of the elements is one thing, even being at the mercy of bureaucracy is something most people have to deal with. But being at the mercy of bum-pyromaniacs is totally unacceptable! Sheesh. I've had it.
1. The homeless guy was trying to keep warm.
2. MTA is too cheap to heat signal rooms.
3. MTA is too cheap to LOCK signal rooms.
4. City is too narrowminded to realize that it's 500 times cheaper to fly 20K homeless folks to Florida beaches for the winter than to repair signal/switch equipement one time.

And yes, Gil I find it unconscionable that the MTA will need 5 years to repair the system. Think of the mayhem that will ensue if someone maliciously tries to disrupt service.

I feel for you. It's going to suck living alone the A line for the next few years.
Old 01-25-05, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
dude, this is the MTA..

they underestimate everything. it's really going to take 10-20 years..
on top of that...they over expense everything...so the public will be paying for this 20 years after its completed...

one thing i find really annoying are the people who bumrush the train as soon as the doors open...one time i couldnt get off the train quick enough because some people were trying to jam their way into a packed train that was trying to empty out...

howsabout the rule saying that if you wanted only one fare (because they only accept above certain amounts at the booths), you had to get it from the machines & it just so happens that they are broken?
Old 01-25-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I moved to New York, I promised myself that I would always be within walking distance of where I worked, and that's the way it's always been for me. I can't imagine having to deal with the NYC subway system (or any city's system, for that matter) on a daily basis.
Old 01-25-05, 02:46 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 01-25-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I swear, I can't get out of NYC soon enough. Two more months and I'm gone.
Old 01-25-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I feel for the homeless in bad weather like this, but my liberal mind is pushed to the limit in situations like this. What if the fire had spread and 50 people would have died in a subway car? I'm inconvenienced but poor people stuck out in Brownsville or East New York have NO subway service at all now. I kind of lost any sympathy for the desperate fool who set that fire.

Cities in general are going to shit, but this one is really falling apart. It's funny the different perspectives you get, though. Last night my boss gave me a ride home since we were out in Long Island with a client and driving through the outer boroughs only for me to immediately start the trek back to Brooklyn via bus (thanks to the F being knocked out) was just too useless. In his climate controlled car with ultra-slick GPS navigation, XM radio, cell phone running through the stereo, and seats more comfortable than my couch was like being so disconnected from the reality of Flatbush avenue chaos, it was amazing. Normally I'd be schlepping through the snow, pants soaking wet, disgusted by all the BS I'd have to see. He didn't even need to know where he was going: The GPS just said "turn right, turn left." I think a lot of people can't even imagine how much of a pain in the ass just the simple daily routine can be.

Not to boo-hoo too much. Like anyone who has the time to sit on a DVD message board, I know I've got it good. But being reminded how at the mercy of others you are is always a rude awakening.

Last edited by Gil Jawetz; 01-25-05 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-25-05, 03:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
No C train for 2-5 years? Damn. I'm glad I live on the N/W, which is something I thought I'd never say.
Yeah. Or as those of us who have lived her long enough call it the "never" and "whenever."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.