Reload this Page >

Getting new tires and I have a ?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-22-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I took my car in to get 2 new tires this morning and realized that the tire size on the car is odd enough that nobody in the area carries the size in stock. One place said that they would order them but it would cost $155 per tire. Another quoted me a cheaper price $100 per tire but said that my total would be $339 80 !! So I found some good tires at tirerack.com for $69 per tire and a place that will mount them for $15.00.

My question is, is there a reason I should buy all 4 tires now? I really don't have the extra to spend and the back tires are in really good shape. But for some reason I am convincg myself getting 2 is a bad idea. Any advice would be appreciated.

Shadow
Old 01-22-05, 07:32 PM
X
Administrator

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
No problem as long as they're both front or both rear.

My favorite tire is discontinued so I'm looking at having to do that soon myself.
Old 01-22-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by X
No problem as long as they're both front or both rear.

My favorite tire is discontinued so I'm looking at having to do that soon myself.

Which tire?
Old 01-22-05, 08:06 PM
X
Administrator

The Bridgestone Firehawk FZ50.
Old 01-23-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
no probs, just change them out as a pair.
Old 01-24-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would disagree, changing just two tires can severely impact the handling of the vehicle. In fact resent research from Michelin indicates if you have to change only two tires on a FWD vehicle the new ones should be put in the back to avoid a loss of control in the rear of the car. I would seriously consider changing all four unless two of them have a lot more tread than the ones you are removing. Keep them rotated and always plan on changing all four at the same time keeps the handling balanced which is safer.
Old 01-24-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Size?

I highly recommend the Falken Ziex ZE-512, as does Consumer Reports: (see http://www.vulcantire.com/ )
Old 01-24-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have changed just two quite often and never had a problem. Assuming this isn't a sports car, you should have no problem.
Old 01-24-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What size tire is on the car? I don't see much of a problem wih going to a different size.(something close anyway..)
Old 01-24-05, 12:39 PM

I've got a sports car, and I've changed just 2 tires without a problem. Do it all the time - that's what happens when you go through rear tires about twice as fast as fronts, and they're different sizes, so you can't rotate them.

If the other pair really are in really good shape, as you say, I don't think it'll be a problem. If they're worn, it's another story.

If you're really worried, when you get the shop to mount the new tires, have them rotate the old ones to the front.
Old 01-24-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cseyer
I would disagree, changing just two tires can severely impact the handling of the vehicle. In fact resent research from Michelin indicates if you have to change only two tires on a FWD vehicle the new ones should be put in the back to avoid a loss of control in the rear of the car. I would seriously consider changing all four unless two of them have a lot more tread than the ones you are removing. Keep them rotated and always plan on changing all four at the same time keeps the handling balanced which is safer.
Michelin must be BSing to sell more tires. I have always change by the pair and since my car is front wheel drive, I put the new tires in the front and the old front tires to the back. Many car guides recommend this procedure.
Old 01-24-05, 12:44 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dirk
I've got a sports car, and I've changed just 2 tires without a problem. Do it all the time - that's what happens when you go through rear tires about twice as fast as fronts, and they're different sizes, so you can't rotate them.
Are they different tire brand/models? That is the case here I believe.

I based my answer that it would be ok on responses I got from two tire dealers when I was asking about replacing my discontinued tires with another brand. They had every incentive to try to sell me four tires instead of two. And I have a sports car. (The new tires were Michelins by the way.)
Old 01-24-05, 12:58 PM

Just don't skimp out on the valve lube!
Old 01-24-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by zuffy
Michelin must be BSing to sell more tires. I have always change by the pair and since my car is front wheel drive, I put the new tires in the front and the old front tires to the back. Many car guides recommend this procedure.

Then they're really wrong. You put new tires in the back *always*. More grip in the front than the rear means that in a "situation" you have a higher probability of swapping ends when you unload the weight from the rear.

see the testing in Motor Trend here: http://motortrend.com/features/consu...es/index2.html and the following page as well.

Last edited by weargle; 01-24-05 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-24-05, 01:38 PM

Are they different tire brand/models? That is the case here I believe.

I based my answer that it would be ok on responses I got from two tire dealers when I was asking about replacing my discontinued tires with another brand. They had every incentive to try to sell me four tires instead of two. And I have a sports car. (The new tires were Michelins by the way.)
Yes, actually, I have done different brands/models, once they discontinued the tire I used to use (miss the Yoko AVSi's).
Old 01-24-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by weargle
Then they're really wrong. You put new tires in the back *always*. More grip in the front than the rear means that in a "situation" you have a higher probability of swapping ends when you unload the weight from the rear.

see the testing in Motor Trend here: http://motortrend.com/features/consu...es/index2.html and the following page as well.
Interesting read. Thanks.
Old 01-24-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
I saw that michelin pamphlet too and if you think about it it makes sense. The momentum of the car propels all points to move forward. If you brake and the grip is in the back then the entire care will stop evenly. If the front tires slip and the rear tires still grip it then back of the car will not overtake the front. If back tires are worn then if they lose their grip the slightest movement perpendicular to the momentum of the car can cause the back to overtake the front.

It seems the Motor Trend test confirms this theory. When my GF changed one pair I told them to put them on the rear and they thought I was off my rocker (It's a mazda protege)
Old 01-24-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cseyer
This guy must own stock in Michelin. Put the new ones on the front. Next time buy two more and then put them on the front removing the others to the rear.
Old 01-24-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This article is interesting. I have ALWAYS replaced tires in pairs, and put the better/newer pair on the primary drive wheels. This means in my FWD cars, I always put the new pair on the front and in RWD cars I put the new pair on the rear. In the one 4wd I owned, 90% of the time it was just the rear wheels driving, so I put the newer on the rear.

Some cars had ABS brakes and some didn't, not sure if that matters.

in 100's of thousands of miles of driving with mismtached tires, in all kinds of weather, I never experienced the issue they talk about in this article.

I will most likely continue to change tires in pairs and put the new ones on the drive wheels
Old 01-24-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After reading this, I Googled "new tires front or rear".

Every result, except for one, that I looked at advised to place the new tires on the rear wheels.

One result was from a car care guy who advised placing the new tires on the front wheels. In a later advice column, he aknowledged the studies and changed his recommendation to the rear wheels.
Old 01-24-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quick show of hands: who has ever had the tail of your car try to come around on you?

On track, it's easy to stop this oversteer by applying more throttle which puts more weight in the rear and settles it down (which allows one to throttle steer cars at the limit, but that's another discussion). On the street, this isn't allowable due to the lack of run-off room as well as the thought that you're probably slamming on your brakes for a reason. Your front tires are already asking a whole lot due to braking forces and turning forces simultaneously, you seriously don't want more grip there than the rear can handle. Or, there's ice and you *should* gently apply the throttle and turn towards the skid. Either way, look at what the weight transfer does, and you're much better off with the better tires on the rear.
Old 01-24-05, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by tanman
I saw that michelin pamphlet too and if you think about it it makes sense. The momentum of the car propels all points to move forward. If you brake and the grip is in the back then the entire care will stop evenly. If the front tires slip and the rear tires still grip it then back of the car will not overtake the front. If back tires are worn then if they lose their grip the slightest movement perpendicular to the momentum of the car can cause the back to overtake the front.

It seems the Motor Trend test confirms this theory. When my GF changed one pair I told them to put them on the rear and they thought I was off my rocker (It's a mazda protege)

ON a front wheel drive car you always want the better two tires on the front...
Old 01-24-05, 05:53 PM

Seriously.........You should be rotating your tires so you wear them evenly. I've never bought only two tires at a time. You should rotate you tires about every 3 to 4 oil changes...or every 15,000 miles...same difference.
Old 01-24-05, 06:49 PM
X
Administrator

I can't rotate my tires. They're different sizes and only go one direction.
Old 01-24-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by alarican
ON a front wheel drive car you always want the better two tires on the front...
Alright, explain why. Logic, physics, and that motor trend road track test seems to disagree.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.