Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Lawyer With No Sense of Humor

Old 01-12-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lawyer With No Sense of Humor

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6818054/

Of course, in true idiot fashion, they don't realize what they were arrested for - disorderly conduct - not their speech. But that's right, the 1st Amendment will let you say anything, anywhere, anytime, I forgot
Old 01-12-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Allow me (you lazy sonofa...):
Tell a lawyer joke, go to jail?
Pair arrested outside Long Island courthouse

The Associated Press
Updated: 3:03 p.m. ET Jan. 12, 2005

MEPSTEAD, N.Y. - Did you hear the one about the two guys arrested for telling lawyer jokes?

It happened this week to the founders of a group called Americans for Legal Reform, who were waiting in line to get into a Long Island courthouse.

“How do you tell when a lawyer is lying?” Harvey Kash reportedly asked Carl Lanzisera.

“His lips are moving,” they said in unison.

While some waiting to get into the courthouse giggled, a lawyer farther up the line Monday was not laughing.

He told them to pipe down, and when they did not, the lawyer reported the pair to court personnel, who charged them with disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor.

“They just can’t take it,” Kash said of lawyers in general. “This violates our First Amendment rights.”

Dan Bagnuola, a spokesman for the Nassau County courts, said the men were “being abusive and they were causing a disturbance.” He said he did not have the name of the lawyer who complained.

Americans for Legal Reform monitors the courts and uses confrontational tactics to push for greater access for the public. The pair said that for years they have stood outside courthouses on Long Island and mocked lawyers.

On Monday, however, Kash said he was due in court to answer a drunken driving charge from a year and a half ago. The men are due back in court on the disorderly conduct charge next month.
Old 01-12-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Of course, in true idiot fashion, they don't realize what they were arrested for - disorderly conduct - not their speech. But that's right, the 1st Amendment will let you say anything, anywhere, anytime, I forgot
And by the facts presented in this article, the disorderly conduct charge is bullshit. How is telling a lawyer joke considered "disorderly conduct"? Either something else happened, or it's a trumped-up charge.
Old 01-12-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A few years ago, I was attending a trial (just in the audience), and had to use the restroom. On the restroom door is a sign that read "WATCH YOUR STEP."

Now, usually, when you see a watch-your-step sign, there's nothing there that the normal person would trip over, so you just sort of ignore them.

Anyway, I charge into the restroom, ignoring the warning sign. There was this drop-down of about ten inches from the door to the floor, and I nearly fell flat on my face.

The D.A. from the trial I was attending was standing in front of the mirror combing his hair, saw me fall, and asked me if I was okay. I said "Yes." And then added, "No offense, but with all of the lawyers around here, you'd think they'd fix that."

He laughed.
Old 01-12-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed Numanoid. Unless there are other factors (which there often are), it seems to be an arrest for violating their speech dressed up as disorderly conduct.

I notice the article didn't actually say they were being abusive and causing a disturbance - just that the spokesman said it (although, again, that may be just the writer's slant).
Old 01-12-05, 05:53 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

What joke did they tell?
Old 01-12-05, 05:54 PM

Courthouses are different. I went to court for a speeding ticket and quickly learned his honor was to be FEARED. They take no crap from anyone, they have immense power to do anything. I was about half way down the docket, so I got to see him put a whipping on about 50 people. The only ones who got his good attention were the ones who whimpered up to the judge, 5 feet away from his table, fell to their knees and begged his majesty for forgivness.

Okay... that was a bit sarcastic. But some judges think they know it all. Idiot savant would be a better description.
Old 01-12-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
And by the facts presented in this article, the disorderly conduct charge is bullshit. How is telling a lawyer joke considered "disorderly conduct"? Either something else happened, or it's a trumped-up charge.
Heh... yeah, uh - the media has a slight proclivity for selective hearing/event skewing for the purpose of heighening the drama. Gotta sell those newspapers...

First, a lawyer has no authority to arrest anyone. He complained to court personnel - i.e., the bailiff - about their behavior, and the bailiff made a decision to arrest them. Why would a bailiff take lawyer jokes personally? They're usually police officers.

Second, according to the story - "He told them to pipe down, and when they did not, the lawyer reported the pair..." So it wasn't the joke, it was the fact that these people would not STFU.

If you've ever been to a municipal court (like traffic court), you've undoubtedly encountered some limited-attention-span induhviduals who can't just shut up and wait their turn. They yap incessantly to each other, on cellphones, etc., and it's hard to hear over them. That's why courts ask (or compel) people to be quiet until they need to talk.

- David Stein
Old 01-12-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds like there is more to this story. This guy is an activist with something up his butt about the lawyers. Sounds like we only have one side of the story.
Old 01-12-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DoogieHowser
Okay... that was a bit sarcastic. But some judges think they know it all. Idiot savant would be a better description.
Heh. No lawyer anywhere will disagree that judges, almost as a class, exhibit a god complex. But arguing with them is like threatening a pit bull - at best, you accomplish nothing. Usually it's tolerable and worth tolerating.

While it's not justified, it's a little understandable; judges get paid jack, and they have a pretty thankless responsibility. For the same reason, I can understand why cops are generally assholes - their job is necessary but sucky.

- David Stein
Old 01-12-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sfsdfd
If you've ever been to a municipal court (like traffic court), you've undoubtedly encountered some limited-attention-span induhviduals who can't just shut up and wait their turn. They yap incessantly to each other, on cellphones, etc., and it's hard to hear over them. That's why courts ask (or compel) people to be quiet until they need to talk.
I can understand the need to be quiet and wait your turn once you're inside the building, but outside?